Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I see your point, but I don't agree with it. I think it's more SJW crap, as evidenced by somehow tying beauty products to the death of George Floyd. :n00b: I refuse to participate in that particular nonsense. What's next? Removing the word "whitening" from toothpastes? It was never meant to be a derogatory term. That people are choosing to make it one now is baloney. There are legitimate social issues that should probably be addressed. The naming of beauty products is not one of them and IMHO cheapens the legitimate issues.
    That the naming of beauty products is not a legit social issue is a given.... I don't take issue with Unilever making this decision, nor even with the possibility that it came to their attention because of the SJW :bs:. I do think that now that they've come to the realization that "normal" can include many shades of skin, they are now responsible for that fact and for doing something about it... So if they want to change the designation from "normal", that's fine, so long as they don't change it from that to "targeted" shade names such as "Black is Beautiful" vs. "Butt-Ugly Cracker".

Subject change:

I saw an ad for a movie coming out, "Without Remorse", which is a Tom Clancy story, a prequel to "Hunt for Red October". The character of John Clark was always a large, solidly built man, one who I imagined as capable of taking someone apart as easily as my grandson does his legos. It's been a long time since I read the book, so I can't say if it was specified that he was a White man, but that's how I pictured him. Maybe my own bias, maybe not, not really important. The actor they chose for the role was a Black man, somewhat smaller than I pictured him, but still solidly built. It struck me oddly for a moment to see him, then I remembered that they once cast Willem DaFoe to play Clark, and I was left with nothing to say about it.

Can a Black man play John Clark? Well, Michael Clark-Duncan played Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin, in a movie, and he was clearly the best actor for the role. His skin color is not a factor. This is why Ghostbusters (The Estrogen Edition) failed.... it was more about making an all-girl movie than it was about telling a good story.

I won't be paying anything more than my normal monthly fees for use, but I look forward to seeing Michael B. Jordan's portrayal of Mr. Clark.

Blessings,
    Bill

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That the naming of beauty products is not a legit social issue is a given.... I don't take issue with Unilever making this decision, nor even with the possibility that it came to their attention because of the SJW :bs:. I do think that now that they've come to the realization that "normal" can include many shades of skin, they are now responsible for that fact and for doing something about it... So if they want to change the designation from "normal", that's fine, so long as they don't change it from that to "targeted" shade names such as "Black is Beautiful" vs. "Butt-Ugly Cracker".

Subject change:

I saw an ad for a movie coming out, "Without Remorse", which is a Tom Clancy story, a prequel to "Hunt for Red October". The character of John Clark was always a large, solidly built man, one who I imagined as capable of taking someone apart as easily as my grandson does his legos. It's been a long time since I read the book, so I can't say if it was specified that he was a White man, but that's how I pictured him. Maybe my own bias, maybe not, not really important. The actor they chose for the role was a Black man, somewhat smaller than I pictured him, but still solidly built. It struck me oddly for a moment to see him, then I remembered that they once cast Willem DaFoe to play Clark, and I was left with nothing to say about it.

Can a Black man play John Clark? Well, Michael Clark-Duncan played Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin, in a movie, and he was clearly the best actor for the role. His skin color is not a factor. This is why Ghostbusters (The Estrogen Edition) failed.... it was more about making an all-girl movie than it was about telling a good story.

I won't be paying anything more than my normal monthly fees for use, but I look forward to seeing Michael B. Jordan's portrayal of Mr. Clark.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Liev Schreiber played Clark in Sum of all Fears.

I also pictured Clark as a white man. I thought Defoe did a good job portraying him. Seals are not all huge, just well skilled and smart.

It is not like Jack Reacher being portrayed by Tom Cruse :puke: (I cannot wait foe Prime's Reacher mini series)

That being said, I also have no problem with a black man being cast as Clark. I just hope the movie does justice to the book.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Every aspect of marketing is about the feelz.
    If your view of the world is that people use reason for their important decisions, you are setting yourself up for a life of frustration and confusion. You’ll find yourself continually debating people and never winning except in your own mind. Few things are as destructive and limiting as a worldview that assumes people are mostly rational - Scott Adams

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Subject change:

Blessings,
    Bill
    Actually it did. The black prostitute he rescued told the police he was green. After further questioning she revealed that his arms were white when his sleeves rode up.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I also pictured Clark as a white man. I thought Defoe did a good job portraying him. Seals are not all huge, just well skilled and smart.

It is not like Jack Reacher being portrayed by Tom Cruse :puke: (I cannot wait foe Prime's Reacher mini series)

That being said, I also have no problem with a black man being cast as Clark. I just hope the movie does justice to the book.
    It’s not that SEALs have to be huge men... for me, it was that Clark was described as being a brick wall of a man.

Now I’m going to have to dig the books out again and re-read them. :D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

That little weenie was NOT the Clark I found in the books.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But Coke has always been better than Pepsi. It's just too bad that the better tasting soft drink had to get woke.
    I'd agree when Coke came in the green glass bottles. I don't know whether the product changed or my taste changed, but out of a can? I prefer Pepsi now. I really don't like either one of them as well if they're in a plastic bottle.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s not that SEALs have to be huge men... for me, it was that Clark was described as being a brick wall of a man.

Now I’m going to have to dig the books out again and re-read them. :D
    Jack Reacher is described in the books as 6’5, 250lbs, muscular build. The movies with Tom Cruise, were. Well. He’s 5’7”.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But Coke has always been better than Pepsi. It's just too bad that the better tasting soft drink had to get woke.
    This is dependent. Coke from a fountain is king. If you can’t get it from a fountain, bottled Pepsi is better.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm just curious, has anybody here read Andy Ngo's books, etc.?

The reason I ask is simply that I have not, and would like to know more about him. I never would have heard of the guy if it weren't for INGO, and when I Google him all I get are articles that describe him as a far-right agitator. What's the story on him?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm just curious, has anybody here read Andy Ngo's books, etc.?

The reason I ask is simply that I have not, and would like to know more about him. I never would have heard of the guy if it weren't for INGO, and when I Google him all I get are articles that describe him as a far-right agitator. What's the story on him?
    I haven't read the books, but have been aware of his reporting for years. He's hardly some far right agitator. He only has a target on his back because he exposes antifa.

He's done long form interviews with the usual cadre of conservative YouTubers and commentators, mainly because they are the only people willing to talk to him. I think you can find vids with him talking to Dave Rubin, Steven Crowder, Been Shapiro, Joe Rogan, etc. I'd start there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom