• Status
    Not open for further replies.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Having sisters, this is actually a valid complaint for make-up, haircare products, under-clothing, and even band-aids. "Normal," in many instances refers to our fairer skinned brethren, as far as makeup and hair. "Nude" undergarments, the same. Some newer "nude" garments are pretty much transparent so anyone can wear them, but I've certainly heard the complaints from my sisters about ordering things that are advertised as transparent, "nude" but are clearly meant for fair-skinned people.
    Its not just colors, what would be normal skin for a black a person would be considered dry skin by white standards, and what's normal hair for white people would be considered oily by black people. Black people have always just had to accept that "normal" means "white" and adjust accordingly, and I can see how that isn't necessarily the way we should be doing things

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When you get old you find that you will have a lot of variety as far as skin appearance goes. Maybe variety is normal skin for old people.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ....and it's now banned.

Of course, there's the usual claims that the "superstraights" are just right wing nazi fascist white supremacist, etc., etc.
    Time to replace that "Bake the cake" meme with "date the tranny!" (Printcraft, get on that)

bM43iWd.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Its not just colors, what would be normal skin for a black a person would be considered dry skin by white standards, and what's normal hair for white people would be considered oily by black people. Black people have always just had to accept that "normal" means "white" and adjust accordingly, and I can see how that isn't necessarily the way we should be doing things
    Did you read the article? That wasn't my takeaway at all. In fact race is only barely mentioned in passing toward the end of the article.

From the article (and I think this is the main point being made):
    Among people aged 18-35, about 8 in 10 said the word had a negative impact, Unilever reported.

The research, which was conducted across nine countries, also found that 56 percent of people believe that the beauty and personal care industry can make people feel excluded, with 74 percent saying they want to see these industries do more to make people "feel better," rather than just "look better."

Unilever also noted that 52 percent of respondents say they now pay more attention to a company's stance on societal issues when making decisions on what products to buy.

It's all about the "feelz".

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Well if people really are paying more attention to a company's "wokeness" than the use of or quality of it's products that's good and bad. Some places will be making shoddy over advertised products, but have a woke Facebook page and make a fortune.

Wonder how their stock is doing, might be a good investment.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Did you read the article? That wasn't my takeaway at all. In fact race is only barely mentioned in passing toward the end of the article.

Among people aged 18-35, about 8 in 10 said the word had a negative impact, Unilever reported.

The research, which was conducted across nine countries, also found that 56 percent of people believe that the beauty and personal care industry can make people feel excluded, with 74 percent saying they want to see these industries do more to make people "feel better," rather than just "look better."

Unilever also noted that 52 percent of respondents say they now pay more attention to a company's stance on societal issues when making decisions on what products to buy.

Well yes, of course its about the feels. When "normal" means "white" then black feel abnormal, like something is wrong with them because they aren't white. I think there is legitimacy in addressing that, and I think that's what Unilever is doing, even if the article is taking a different interpretation

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe Coca-cola should just put muddy water in can and pass it off as product to the woke.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well yes, of course its about the feels. When "normal" means "white" then black feel abnormal, like something is wrong with them because they aren't white. I think there is legitimacy in addressing that, and I think that's what Unilever is doing, even if the article is taking a different interpretation
    Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Among people aged 18-35, about 8 in 10 said the word had a negative impact

Note it doesn't say "among black people (or people of color) aged 18-35". Now there may be a racial component to it, sure, but I don't think that's the primary issue they're talking about.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Among people aged 18-35, about 8 in 10 said the word had a negative impact

Note it doesn't say "among black people (or people of color) aged 18-35". Now there may be a racial component to it, sure, but I don't think that's the primary issue they're talking about.
    You don't have to be part of the negatively impacted group to recognize a negative impact when you see it

Here is another article
    “I grew up with very curly, textured hair,” Ms. Davuluri said. “And all I saw that was considered normal in commercials and products was beautiful, straight, silky hair, primarily on white models, and that’s just what I thought was normal.”

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You don't have to be part of the negatively impacted group to recognize a negative impact when you see it

Here is another article
    I see your point, but I don't agree with it. I think it's more SJW crap, as evidenced by somehow tying beauty products to the death of George Floyd. :n00b: I refuse to participate in that particular nonsense. What's next? Removing the word "whitening" from toothpastes? It was never meant to be a derogatory term. That people are choosing to make it one now is baloney. There are legitimate social issues that should probably be addressed. The naming of beauty products is not one of them and IMHO cheapens the legitimate issues.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When you get old you find that you will have a lot of variety as far as skin appearance goes. Maybe variety is normal skin for old people.
    Indeed so. You know you have reached this point when you start getting compliments on your alligator boots when you are barefoot.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Lever 2000

At Lever 2000, we believe that good hygiene is key to good health. We make it easy to care for your family’s hygiene by bringing you a quality cleansing product at an affordable price. Since the 1980s, we’ve been dedicated to providing a refreshing cleansing experience. Use clean-rinsing Lever 2000 soap on all your 2,000 parts to leave skin smelling great and feeling fresh

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Every aspect of marketing is about the feelz.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom