• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Don't change rings just yet. Bring the rifle up higher in your shoulder pocket and blade more away from the target.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not bad considering your neck was bothering you. Plus I assume since you were in an indoor range that you weren't seated with a front and back rest? That really helps with stability for smaller group sizes. What magnification is your Nikon scope?

Some subsonic and std velocity ammo may really make you smile, Gary. Those groups aren't bad for the higher velocity stuff..

Don't change rings just yet. Bring the rifle up higher in your shoulder pocket and blade more away from the target.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

I was seated in an indoor range using a front rest on the shelf: the back rest didn't have enough room on the "shelf."
    The scope is a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 2 3-9x40 BDC 150: I loved it and stayed around level 5 after using level 3 & 4.

I had some CCI Standard Velocity with me, but my neck was just too wrung out to shoot anymore, but I'll look forward to trying it out.
    I had some really good groups, but wasn't consistent as I have never adjusted a scope before.
    I finally started using 1 click, but still found it elusive to pinpoint it.
    I could see the crosshairs moving b/c of only being able to use a front rest, and I couldn't steady it.

A guy at the range showed me how to bring the butt of the rifle over to my collarbone so it would be higher and then easier to line my eye up with the scope so as not to "contort" my neck (that's what it felt like after a bit of shooting).
    I didn't have opportunity to put that into practice tonight though: next time.

Since I was shooting at only 16.6 yds./50 feet, I can't imagine shooting "one-hole" targets at 25, 50 and especially 100 yds.
    Thanks for the feedback guys :ingo:, I was fairly discouraged after shooting the rifle this evening; I thought it would solve all my problems in life. :dunno:
    I knew it wasn't the rifle or the sights, which left only ammo and me in the room. :laugh:
    I'm afraid my arthritis has gotten worse in the past couple of years.
    If I was trying to use the stock sights it would have been impossible for me to configure my neck for a line of sight with rear and front sights, and yet with the Henry rifle I had a couple of summers ago, their was no issue. :dunno:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I had some really good groups, but wasn't consistent as I have never adjusted a scope before.
    I finally started using 1 click, but still found it elusive to pinpoint it...

The specs for the scope you have states that 1 click = 1/2" and I am assuming this is at the standard of 100 yards. This means that 1 click at 50' only moves the impact 0.083" so it would take ~12 clicks to move bullet impact 1".

When you are trying out different ammo to find what your rifle likes just shoot for groups and don't worry about adjusting the scope for each different brand/weight/velocity. Once you settle on the "best" .22 round, that's when you adjust the scope for POA to equal POI.

As a general statement, standard velocity rounds are likely to be more accurate than high velocity rounds.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The specs for the scope you have states that 1 click = 1/2" and I am assuming this is at the standard of 100 yards. This means that 1 click at 50' only moves the impact 0.083" so it would take ~12 clicks to move bullet impact 1".

When you are trying out different ammo to find what your rifle likes just shoot for groups and don't worry about adjusting the scope for each different brand/weight/velocity. Once you settle on the "best" .22 round, that's when you adjust the scope for POA to equal POI.

As a general statement, standard velocity rounds are likely to be more accurate than high velocity rounds.

Yep, listen to this man, he helped me get my Annie dialed in and able to bust lollipops at 50 yards with ease... ;)

You setup at an indoor range isn't bad and at least you don't have to worry about wind/weather, but I think you'll see better results at an outdoor range with proper benches and rest. Finding out the ammo and learning the proper way to shoot the rifle and all is part of the journey. I have fun testing various types of ammo to see what works best. I prefer shooting CCI SV or Aguila SV, or even Federal Gold Medal Target because I can get good groups from inexpensive ammo. If I want to shoot the best groups though, it pays to buy the match grade stuff, like Federal Gold Medal UltraMatch or others.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Yep, listen to this man, he helped me get my Annie dialed in and able to bust lollipops at 50 yards with ease... ;)

You setup at an indoor range isn't bad and at least you don't have to worry about wind/weather, but I think you'll see better results at an outdoor range with proper benches and rest. Finding out the ammo and learning the proper way to shoot the rifle and all is part of the journey. I have fun testing various types of ammo to see what works best. I prefer shooting CCI SV or Aguila SV, or even Federal Gold Medal Target because I can get good groups from inexpensive ammo. If I want to shoot the best groups though, it pays to buy the match grade stuff, like Federal Gold Medal UltraMatch or others.

gmcttr, if I'm understanding you correctly, if at 100 yds/300 feet, with 1 click, it move the POI 1/2 inch, I did not realize that 1 click would not have as much of an impact at only 16.6 yds/50 feet, so I would need to do more clicks. :ugh:
    That would explain alot. :) I won't be afraid to click-away now.

wtb, I've probably spent more range time with gmcttr than anyone in INGO.
    He is the one who turned me on to the CZ Shadow, making me unhappy with my first SP-01 that I had at the time.
    This summer when I get with him at his outdoor range again, I'll let him teach me the finer points of dialing in the Ruger 1132 at the longer distances of an outdoor range.
    I've got a couple of cases of CCI SV & a bunch of Aguila SV to test out.
    Not going to happen this week since I've got Graduation coming up this week, so the hobby will have to rest (but only 10 more days till retirement).

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    gmcttr, if I'm understanding you correctly, if at 100 yds/300 feet, with 1 click, it move the POI 1/2 inch, I did not realize that 1 click would not have as much of an impact at only 16.6 yds/50 feet, so I would need to do more clicks. :ugh:
    That would explain alot. :) I won't be afraid to click-away now.

wtb, I've probably spent more range time with gmcttr than anyone in INGO.
    He is the one who turned me on to the CZ Shadow, making me unhappy with my first SP-01 that I had at the time.
    This summer when I get with him at his outdoor range again, I'll let him teach me the finer points of dialing in the Ruger 1132 at the longer distances of an outdoor range.
    I've got a couple of cases of CCI SV & a bunch of Aguila SV to test out.
    Not going to happen this week since I've got Graduation coming up this week, so the hobby will have to rest (but only 10 more days till retirement).

Yep, good deal. I've been out to Hoosier Hills with him once and had a fantastic time. I'll definitely meet him out there again sometime. Maybe the three of us can get together out there and you can try both of my rifles as well... :yesway:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I went to Rural King for dog food.... I might form 1 this thing

chszhIP.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yep, good deal. I've been out to Hoosier Hills with him once and had a fantastic time. I'll definitely meet him out there again sometime. Maybe the three of us can get together out there and you can try both of my rifles as well... :yesway:

That would be great, I'll see if there is room to put it on my Retirement schedule for this summer. :rofl:
    Ok, I've checked my schedule, the only things so far is a 4 different small speaking appts. and a couple of out-of-town trips (so far), and I'm free. :laugh:
    I hear your time fills up quickly when retired.
    Everyone who knows my frenetic busy life asks me what I'm going to do in retirement, and I tell them I don't know b/c I've never retired before. :lmfao:
    Last summer was all dedicated to a right hip replacement and "the hobby," known as the CZ summer. :ar15:
    Just did the 1 yr. check up and the Dr. wants to do the left hip, but until the pain drives me, I'll take my summer and enjoy it before that journey again.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Doing some head to head ammo competition tomorrow morning. I'm gonna run CCI SV versus Aguila SV in my Ruger Precision Rimfire and M&P 15-22.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Doing some head to head ammo competition tomorrow morning. I'm gonna run CCI SV versus Aguila SV in my Ruger Precision Rimfire and M&P 15-22.

I'm hoping to test the same ammo out of Annie and the new RART (Ruger American Rimfire Target) later this morning... ;)

Enjoy your testing!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    OK guys, what ammo shoots best in a S&W 15/22? Mine seems to hate everything. I've tried a bunch of stuff & get 3 MOA at best, avg = 5-6. If my daughter didn't love the thing so much it would get sold.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Kriss DMK? I might want one, any experience?

Nope, but setting it up to use 10/22 barrels was genius on their part.

Tippmann should have gone that route on the M4-22 instead of the proprietary set up they went with. The inability to do what I wanted with the barrel on the M4-22 was a factor in selling it to my sister for my nephews to use.

Top Bottom