• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    OK guys, what ammo shoots best in a S&W 15/22? Mine seems to hate everything. I've tried a bunch of stuff & get 3 MOA at best, avg = 5-6. If my daughter didn't love the thing so much it would get sold.
    I have a gen 1 (quad rail handguard) that I've been playing around with lately. I did some testing 2 years ago with some ammo and here in the past few months as well.

Here are the best groups I've gotten at 50 yards:
    1) 0.99" Remington Golden Bullet 40gr RN 1255fps
    2) 1.00" RWS Target Rifle 40gr
    3) 1.11" CCI SV
    4) 1.23" Geco 40gr RN 1148fps
    5) 1.23" CCI SV
    6) 1.32" CCI Mini Mag 36gr HP 1260fps
    7) 1.33" Aguila SE 40gr RN HV
    8) 1.37" CCI "Choot Em" Mini Mag 36gr HP 1260fps
    9) 1.38" Aguila SV
    10) 1.41" Browning BPR 40gr HP 1435fps

I want to clarify that while these are my best groups, I can't always duplicate them.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I did the head to head comparison today of CCI SV versus Aguila SV in two rifles, my Ruger Precision Rimfire and my gen1 M&P15-22, both from 50 yards. The CCI SV was the winner in both guns using eight 5-shot groups of each brand in each rifle. In the RPR it was CCI @ 0.281", Aguila @ 0.459". The 15-22 it was CCI @ 1.236", Aguila at 1.386".

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I'm curious what other AR style .22 rifles are capable of accuracy wise. Are Tippmann rifles any more accurate? I shot one today, but only at 25 yards offhand.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That's a nice group.:yesway:
    Thanks!

Here is a group I call "almost". Guess which shot is number 5?

attachment.php

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    My Tippmann showed potential, more than the HK 416D did. Someone on INGO has one they put more rounds through with better testing than I did.
    I entered to win one in a rifle today, bought 5 tickets for $20. I know one of the LGS in Ft. Wayne stocks them. They're made not far from my house, about a 5-10 minute drive.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got .4 for 5 shots, repeatable, from my 10/22 at 50 yards.
    Of course it has a Volq hammer, GM bbl and Titan stock.
    And had a Leupold set at 12X.
    Off bipods though.
    SK rifle match ammo (less than 300 shots through bbl)

fSzwFWm

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The rifle has a heavy taper GM 19" and even then, it's a bit heavier than I'd like for a hunting rifle.
    Also, while the Titan stock's vertical grip is fine on the bench, I think it pretty much sucks for field carry.
    Shame, it shoots great but isn't what I wanted.

So what else do I have?

A '70 10/22 Sporter (fingergroove). It shoots like crap. Had horribly high forend pressure. Removed most of it and still shot like crap.
    Just got done free floating it.
    See what that does.

Best feeling best looking stock for a 10/22 IMHO.
    If it doesn't shoot I could try it with a GM 20" sporter bbl.

More sanding, more money.

Have a CZ455 that I bought new, has less than 50 shots through it.......not as good as the target 10/22 but .4 at 25 yards.
    Might do as good when broken in.

This 22 rf stuff is a PITA.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Off bipods though.

fSzwFWm
    That's impressive and a nice looking rifle. Clean and simple. I like it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thanks. I might end up keeping the dang thing.
    It shoots. Just can't get used to that grip (and why I didn't get a MC3 stock for my 700).
    The fingergroove is well used, got it at a show not long ago.
    Man it feels great.
    Just shoots like crap.
    Am torn on putting the $ in another Gm barrel, woodwork, maybe bedding (already have the accraglass)...............would build a killer hunter.
    But the stock has a lot of dings.
    My CZ455 looks like it wants to shoot. Nothing is great out of it, or the 10/22 in Titan stock.............until you run match ammo.
    Just want a good feeling, good shooting .22 rifle that does .5 at 50 yards.
    Got the groups I wanted, but the feel of the rifle is not right for me.

The GM heavy taper leaves gap on the Titan, as it's for a .920. I don't find the gap an issue cosmetically.

I have a Leupold Freedom 3-9X EFR I bought for that rig, and went w alum rings instead of steel.
    Did lighten it up a little.

But d&mn that grip angle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The target and fingergroove 10/22's have had zero bolt work.
    Headspace? I dunno what they measure.
    Firing pins have not been pinned to keep from floating, nor have the tips been shaped.
    I could buy a reworked bolt and try em out.
    Not gonna help the fingergroove, it's got problems (maybe resolved by freefloat- dunno yet).
    If I see a positive trend, then I might buy a target bolt from CPC. Or send one in.

The CZ 455 is nice, but not perfect. The 1022 fingergroove is dynamite in feel and looks, but is suckin it pretty bad right now.
    The target 10/22 is a shooter, and I have 400 in it (minus scope and rings- and no bolt work).
    That one might end up staying and the others going bye bye.

Couple more test days and see what happens.
    Am out of SK match.

Anybody know who has some?
    Might try some other brand.

I am not a .22 rf shooter. But once in a while I like to ventilate a red squirrel.
    Rifle needs to be set up, tested........and an answer found.
    Then it will sit in the safe 360 days of the year.

Maybe silly to want a good shooter, spend the $ for such limited use.
    But I want a decent shooter, an absolute it you will.

Never got into plinking. Just want to hit what i aim at.

FWIW nothing has shot well w CCI quiet or segmented quiet. Match ammo does the trick in the target 10/22 and 455.
    CCI Blazer does OK but gets fliers now and then.
    And that aint me.

With the CZ at less than 100 shots (more like less than 50) and the 10/22 target build under 300..............I figure both will get better with more shooting.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I did the head to head comparison today of CCI SV versus Aguila SV in two rifles, my Ruger Precision Rimfire and my gen1 M&P15-22, both from 50 yards. The CCI SV was the winner in both guns using eight 5-shot groups of each brand in each rifle. In the RPR it was CCI @ 0.281", Aguila @ 0.459". The 15-22 it was CCI @ 1.236", Aguila at 1.386".

Very nice. I forgot to mark my targets yesterday, but I was seeing similar results between CCI and Aguila SV. I couldn't remember which groups were which when I took them down (there were several other people shooting on the rifle range yesterday), but all the Aguila groups were larger and had more fliers than the CCI groups. The group I posted in the bolt action thread that was around a quarter of an inch was using CCI standard and was ironically my first grouping, as well as my best. I spent 4 hours on the range and got less testing done than I'd hoped due to all the extra people on the line. Oh well, it was enjoyable anyway... :yesway:

Thanks!

Here is a group I call "almost". Guess which shot is number 5?

attachment.php

Amazing group not counting that flier!

Off bipods though.

fSzwFWm

Beautiful rifle and very nice group! Oh, check TargetSportsUSA. They had Standard + in stock last I checked, but not Rifle Match. They do have a notification button though, that I've used in the past to be notified when something comes back in stock. Otherwise using ammoseek I only saw a couple places with it in stock. Ammofast and Midsouthshooterssupply.

Yes, but so much fun! Beautiful looking rifle BTW ;)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm curious what other AR style .22 rifles are capable of accuracy wise. Are Tippmann rifles any more accurate? I shot one today, but only at 25 yards offhand.

They will make solid groups at 50. Mine was a good rifle and shot better than mp15-22.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The rifle has a heavy taper GM 19" and even then, it's a bit heavier than I'd like for a hunting rifle.
    Also, while the Titan stock's vertical grip is fine on the bench, I think it pretty much sucks for field carry.
    Shame, it shoots great but isn't what I wanted.

So what else do I have?

A '70 10/22 Sporter (fingergroove). It shoots like crap. Had horribly high forend pressure. Removed most of it and still shot like crap.
    Just got done free floating it.
    See what that does.

Best feeling best looking stock for a 10/22 IMHO.
    If it doesn't shoot I could try it with a GM 20" sporter bbl.

More sanding, more money.

Have a CZ455 that I bought new, has less than 50 shots through it.......not as good as the target 10/22 but .4 at 25 yards.
    Might do as good when broken in.

I really like the Titan stock for use on the bench, but I agree it’s terrible if you want to do anything else with it. It’s just not very ergonomic for anything but bench shooting.

That is a gorgeous spotter!! What about the Kidd taper barrel?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The sporter is pretty dinged up. It does have a cool color due to aging. Thought about redoing it. But then id be pretty honked off when i put the first smack on it lol. Got it to be a hunter. Had a factory checkered late 60s one. Much better shape but not mint. Too nice to risk hunting so sold it.

This one is now free floated. But has some rock to the action. Will tape up and then test.

Too bad Urban Rifle Supply doesnt make fingergroove stocks anymore. Still think Ruger should have done stainless in a black synth repro of SPC stock as their 50th.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    X-Ring Upgrade

The wife’s X-Ring got an upgrade tonight, Kidd 18” Diamond fluted matte black barrel.

The TacSol barrel has been a great shooter, but the lightweight aspect gives it no resistance to any small movements. So something a bit heavier was in order. The Kidd barrel is 3lbs, it alone weighs more than the TacSol barrel, receiver and trigger pack. It’s a huge change, but a good one. It’s a bit nose heavy now, but when you lift it up it just sits still. The stability is greatly increased.

Installing it took some effort though. Wow is that a tight fit. The TacSol barrel just slid right out, we’ll just say the Kidd didn’t go back in quite that nicely.

New Barrel:
    3CyAa6z.jpg

Before:
    Pqve9kz.jpg

After:
    A6fid7u.jpg

0wADUHZ.jpg

It has better shoot as nice it looks now! :D

Top Bottom