• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Made a minor improvement to the RPR and installed a BCM gunfighter grip. The BCM grip normally has a tab that extends over the trigger guard, but it didn't line up properly on the RPR and created an unsightly gap, so I removed it and blended that area. I like the grip angle of these 1000 times more than the traditional grip angle that AR pistol grips have. I think the rifle looks better as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice. I'm interested to hear if that affects your accuracy with a grip you like better. I was out at MCF&G with 88 and SarahG this morning and shot Annie for a couple hours. Slayed many a lollipop, but my groups were just OK. A few at MOA and one group that was a bit over a quarter of an inch. Otherwise just mostly shooting for fun. Fantastic day at the range regardless!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Here's some results from this morning. There were several of us switching on and off shooting my Annie. Mostly sighting in on the targets and then busting lollipops.

wrRstIjl.jpg

Best group I had, just over a quarter inch:

evaf59Dl.jpg

MecPqDSl.jpg

wccCVpIl.jpg

The rest of my groups were in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range, but I was able to bust a lot of lollipops... :rockwoot:

CZ Top

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Vigo Co.
    Found a new use for the 10/22 today when a snake squirmed into the yard. I loaded a round of shotshell and introduced him to Mr. Ruger.
    I'm hoping that doesn't mess with the rifling?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Here's some results from this morning. There were several of us switching on and off shooting my Annie. Mostly sighting in on the targets and then busting lollipops.
    Best group I had, just over a quarter inch:
    The rest of my groups were in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range, but I was able to bust a lot of lollipops... :rockwoot:
    Nice shooting. What ammo shot the best for you? I like those targets, might have to get some of those.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nice shooting. What ammo shot the best for you? I like those targets, might have to get some of those.

Thank you. I was busting lollipops with Wolf Match Target and CCI green tag. I believe that group was using SK Rifle Match. Reed was kind enough to give me a box when we were shooting together at Hoosier Hills. Annie shoots well with a lot of different types of ammo.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    A group of HHRP members got together tonight and put on their first very informal NRL22 type match. They have ordered but not received official NLR22 targets and did a great job of making suitable targets for 5 stages. Distances ranged from 25 to 100 yards with one stage having 5 swinging steel targets ranging in size from ~3/8" to 2" set at 25, 35, 50, 90 and 100 yards.

A good time was had by all. I attended and helped but did not shoot.

After observing this match and seeing what worked best (along with a week of reading up on it) I am seriously considering building a rifle for this new to me game.

My current best guess on components is as follows:

-Kidd 1022 barreled receiver with 18" bull barrel and Kidd 2 stage trigger.
    -Victor Titan 1022 stock or possibly a PMACA 10/22 Long Nose Chassis. Both have provisions for front and rear locking down of the receiver vs the 10/22's single front action bolt.
    -Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 FFP scope.

Any input will be greatly appreciated as this is a new direction for me. Accuracy is paramount but I'm not considering anything with a nice wood stock that I would be afraid to scratch.Semi autos seemed to have an edge on bolt actions as these are time limited stages plus the bolt guys had to break position to operate the action.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve got an X-ring in a Victor Titan stock. It’s a fantastic stock, incredibly stiff. If we can work out when to come back down you are more than welcome to spend some time and see how the stock feels to you.

Can’t go wrong with Kidd. They don’t make a bad product.

My only preference is the TacSol receivers, I like the dual spring design over the single spring. But that is as much a form over function item as it is anything else, the dual spring feels more upscale.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ I've got all those parts but on two rifles.
    The Ruger receiver has an 18" tapered Kidd barrel, Kidd 2-stage, Kidd bolt in an Altamont / KKC stock. Capable of sub-MOA groups at 100 yards with match ammo. I use this one for NRA Smallbore.
    The other is a Magnum Research receiver (very nice milled in rail) with a MR aluminum shrouded barrel, Kidd single stage 3.25# trigger, Kidd bolt in a Victor Titan stock. Also capable of ~1 MOA with the right ammo. This one is set up for CMP Rimfire Sporter (Unlimited Tactical class).

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    A group of HHRP members got together tonight and put on their first very informal NRL22 type match. They have ordered but not received official NLR22 targets and did a great job of making suitable targets for 5 stages. Distances ranged from 25 to 100 yards with one stage having 5 swinging steel targets ranging in size from ~3/8" to 2" set at 25, 35, 50, 90 and 100 yards.

A good time was had by all. I attended and helped but did not shoot.

After observing this match and seeing what worked best (along with a week of reading up on it) I am seriously considering building a rifle for this new to me game.

My current best guess on components is as follows:

-Kidd 1022 barreled receiver with 18" bull barrel and Kidd 2 stage trigger.
    -Victor Titan 1022 stock or possibly a PMACA 10/22 Long Nose Chassis. Both have provisions for front and rear locking down of the receiver vs the 10/22's single front action bolt.
    -Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 FFP scope.

Any input will be greatly appreciated as this is a new direction for me. Accuracy is paramount but I'm not considering anything with a nice wood stock that I would be afraid to scratch.Semi autos seemed to have an edge on bolt actions as these are time limited stages plus the bolt guys had to break position to operate the action.

My step dad has the ruger custom shop 1022. It has a 30moa rail, fantastic stock, and it shoots single hole with cci std velocity and a core at 50yards. It's an impressive rig.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I ran the Henry Golden Boy today with my usual assortment of different brands of ammo to see what it might like. The rifle bays were being patrolled by bumblebees and freaking my daughter out. After spending 20 minutes trying to get rid of them, I just decided to do our shooting in the 25 yard pistol bay instead. Before I forget to mention it, my homemade rear peep sight worked 1000 times better than the factory rear sight. I won't post targets, because they are nothing to brag about, but basically it was shooting 0.8" - 1.1" groups with everything I fed it at 25 yards, so nothing super impressive, but as expected. There is room for improvement with regards to a better set of sights or even a scope as my eyes were struggling a little at times with the brass bead on the front sight. I don't know that I will pursue this one further as I already have a "precision" .22LR rifle. I think the Henry will be better suited plinking and shooting steel, which an open sight rifle that shoots 3-4 moa is probably best suited for. If anything I might change out the front sight. I really enjoyed working that lever action though, so did the daughter.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I ran the Henry Golden Boy today with my usual assortment of different brands of ammo to see what it might like. The rifle bays were being patrolled by bumblebees and freaking my daughter out. After spending 20 minutes trying to get rid of them, I just decided to do our shooting in the 25 yard pistol bay instead. Before I forget to mention it, my homemade rear peep sight worked 1000 times better than the factory rear sight. I won't post targets, because they are nothing to brag about, but basically it was shooting 0.8" - 1.1" groups with everything I fed it at 25 yards, so nothing super impressive, but as expected. There is room for improvement with regards to a better set of sights or even a scope as my eyes were struggling a little at times with the brass bead on the front sight. I don't know that I will pursue this one further as I already have a "precision" .22LR rifle. I think the Henry will be better suited plinking and shooting steel, which an open sight rifle that shoots 3-4 moa is probably best suited for. If anything I might change out the front sight. I really enjoyed working that lever action though, so did the daughter.

Sounds like a good time at the range with the daughter... :yesway:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Bet those were borer bees. You need a 12 ga. for those.

k0jtZRp.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up a Ruger 10/22 model 1132 this week from a member here.
    I thought I'd try out a rifle with a scope to see if that would satiate my accuracy fetish since I'm not getting it with a handgun. :dunno:

Only had 50' available at the range, and was dialing in the Nikon scope.
    Difficult to manipulate my arthritic neck into position to see the scope, so I've been told to get some taller rings.

Put only 165 rounds through before my neck said, "No more."
    I used CCI Mini-Mags, 1235 FPS for the first hundred then Winchester 1300 FPS.
    0N23sRM.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Picked up a Ruger 10/22 model 1132 this week from a member here.
    I thought I'd try out a rifle with a scope to see if that would satiate my accuracy fetish since I'm not getting it with a handgun. :dunno:

Only had 50' available at the range, and was dialing in the Nikon scope.
    Difficult to manipulate my arthritic neck into position to see the scope, so I've been told to get some taller rings.

Put only 165 rounds through before my neck said, "No more."
    I used CCI Mini-Mags, 1235 FPS for the first hundred then Winchester 1300 FPS.
    0N23sRM.jpg

Not bad considering your neck was bothering you. Plus I assume since you were in an indoor range that you weren't seated with a front and back rest? That really helps with stability for smaller group sizes. What magnification is your Nikon scope?

Top Bottom