• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Attempted to purchase a pistol plus suppressor from him. Upon meeting for the deal we discussed the way to transfer the suppressor, I told him I would go to my FFL and discuss it and go from there. Money was exchanged and I was reassured because he gave a copy of his tax stamp (address on the stamp was wrong to begin with but he wrote it in with pen and showed his license to prove it was his current one). Upon speaking with my FFL they told me the transfer had to be done a certain way and that we would both have to be present. I told him what the FFL said and he responded with "don't take their word for it" and "do your own research". The suppressor was $150 within the deal, I told him I would take $125 (later even going as low as $100) just to wipe my hands of it and let him sell it to someone else. He said that he would sell it to someone else and THEN return the money, instead of just returning the money to start. When I pressed more to just wipe our hands of it, he flatly said "I'm ending this conversation, let me know when the tax stamp arrives". I tried to do the NFA process the legal way how my FFL, who processes them everyday, told me, but he decided that a 15min google search was more than their 30 years of experience.

Overall rude to deal with and sketchy in his way of handling NFA items.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Attempted to purchase a pistol plus suppressor from him. Upon meeting for the deal we discussed the way to transfer the suppressor, I told him I would go to my FFL and discuss it and go from there. Money was exchanged and I was reassured because he gave a copy of his tax stamp (address on the stamp was wrong to begin with but he wrote it in with pen and showed his license to prove it was his current one). Upon speaking with my FFL they told me the transfer had to be done a certain way and that we would both have to be present. I told him what the FFL said and he responded with "don't take their word for it" and "do your own research". The suppressor was $150 within the deal, I told him I would take $125 (later even going as low as $100) just to wipe my hands of it and let him sell it to someone else. He said that he would sell it to someone else and THEN return the money, instead of just returning the money to start. When I pressed more to just wipe our hands of it, he flatly said "I'm ending this conversation, let me know when the tax stamp arrives". I tried to do the NFA process the legal way how my FFL, who processes them everyday, told me, but he decided that a 15min google search was more than their 30 years of experience.

Overall rude to deal with and sketchy in his way of handling NFA items.
    Having only read one side of the story.....it sounds bad for dman65.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to fathom how in the world you meet someone to buy an NFA item without having first agreed upon the process for making the transfer. And then to top it off, you give them the cash for the NFA item, and they drive off with both the cash and the item in their possession, while you have essentially nothing more than a pinky promise that they'll give the item to you once you get the paperwork done.

I'm not saying the other party was right to screw you over (assuming that's the truth of what happened, of course) but unless I'm reading your account of events wrong, it sure sounds like you couldn't have made it easier for him to screw you.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    j2NAH9hNUFgzuofwio.webp

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I'm not saying the other party was right to screw you over (assuming that's the truth of what happened, of course) but unless I'm reading your account of events wrong, it sure sounds like you couldn't have made it easier for him to screw you.
    I will admit, some fault does lie with me, but we had agreed to work with it after I check with my FFL, and he handed me a copy of his stamp with all his info. This is a case of once bit, twice shy from now on. At the time of meeting I had also bought the pistol and left with it, but the suppressor being on a whole "I have all your info, so I doubt you'd screw me over", but I guess I was a bit too trusting.

I won't say I'm 100% without fault, I did make the mistake of not taking more precautions, but I had assumed it would all be above board. Will have to be more cautious and explicit in the future and view it as a $150 lesson on not to be so trusting.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    There are ways to transfer suppressors between individuals (in Indiana) that don't require an FFL. If you have someone that can do the paperwork for you, it's quite simple. It just has to be done on paper, not eforms.

Individuals can't file an eform 4 transfer.
    Yep, even with playing that game for 40+ years, questions still pop up.
    Thanks Andy.

Top Bottom