• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I usually drink a Kelloggs breakfast shake in the mornings, which has 10 grams of protein, then I eat a can of tuna in the afternoon, so my protein has been pretty good.

Read an article a while back about drinking a glass of chocolate milk after workouts helping to heal muscles, thus creating better performance in the workouts. I started drinking a 12 ounce glass of 2% milk with a few 2 tbsp of Hershey syrup in it immediately after strength or cardio, and I'll be damned, it seems like it's worked pretty well.

There was a blog about the chocolate milk thing on the Myfitnesspal app earlier this week.

Wheaties has on the back of the box a recommendation to have Wheaties with chocolate milk. I tried it and it was very good. :)

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I am trying the Advocare 10 day cleanse (pills and drinks--no, you don't s*** your brains out). My wife lost a pants size on her last go round. I'm skeptical, and am on day 3. To keep this experiment valid, I am not altering my diet. Will update later...

pfinley82

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frankton
    Well here is my story. Soon to be 34 years old. I work in a semi active field but also requires a lot of time in a work van. Kids activities take up most of my free time. Current weight is 438 at 6 ft tall. I have no problems getting around at all. Climb ladders daily with work. Started a 1500-2000 calorie daily diet last week. Hard to fit time in after work for gym, so I am planning on going before work starting this week. I have a rather large sweet tooth. That is going to be the hardest part. I have cut out pop as well. Wish me luck!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Well here is my story. Soon to be 34 years old. I work in a semi active field but also requires a lot of time in a work van. Kids activities take up most of my free time. Current weight is 438 at 6 ft tall. I have no problems getting around at all. Climb ladders daily with work. Started a 1500-2000 calorie daily diet last week. Hard to fit time in after work for gym, so I am planning on going before work starting this week. I have a rather large sweet tooth. That is going to be the hardest part. I have cut out pop as well. Wish me luck!

Good luck.

I've also come to the realization that the only time I can realistically get to the gym is before work, so I'll soon be one of those super early morning guys too.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've never been a gym type guy, even back when I played baseball (into my early 30s) I just could never get into going to a gym. I always did tons of pushups and chin ups, and a lot of running, while all my buddies were at the gym. Back then we all drank and smoked, too, and it was all a lot easier.:):

I've always found that I could get just as fit, with less soreness, by doing pushups and pullups, which may not provide what some of you guys are after, but it's a great way to stay in shape, and I can do it all right here at home.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've never been a gym type guy, even back when I played baseball (into my early 30s) I just could never get into going to a gym. I always did tons of pushups and chin ups, and a lot of running, while all my buddies were at the gym. Back then we all drank and smoked, too, and it was all a lot easier.:):

I've always found that I could get just as fit, with less soreness, by doing pushups and pullups, which may not provide what some of you guys are after, but it's a great way to stay in shape, and I can do it all right here at home.

:+1:

Yep, lots of stuff you can do without any fancy gym machine or weight.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Good luck.

I'm no expert but I can guarantee you that if you drop the sweets and pop the weight will drop off. Carbs are so good but they are killing people every day.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just polished off another 2 miles. My left knee was hurting a bit and right hip was all day. I took 440mg naproxen an hour before running and started with a five minute walk. Felt great.

did some light weights too

Last edited:

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.

If I can make a recommendation, try the 3-hour diet. It really works if you stick to it. The nice thing is you get to eat every three hours, so you're never really hungry. I've actually had people ask me how I can lose weight since I'm always eating ! It's what you eat and the portions. Once your body gets used to eating less, it's easy.

Also, you should log everything you eat - everything. I even log my gummy vitamins. Hey, that's 45 calories right there. There is a great app called My Fitness Pal that makes logging food and exercise easy.

Good luck in your weight loss journey. You can do it. :thumbsup:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If I can make a recommendation, try the 3-hour diet. It really works if you stick to it. The nice thing is you get to eat every three hours, so you're never really hungry. I've actually had people ask me how I can lose weight since I'm always eating ! It's what you eat and the portions. Once your body gets used to eating less, it's easy.

Also, you should log everything you eat - everything. I even log my gummy vitamins. Hey, that's 45 calories right there. There is a great app called My Fitness Pal that makes logging food and exercise easy.

GREAT advice.

Pfinley, this thread can help motivate you, so can your kids. Try to involve them in your workouts some times. Have them bike along while you walk or something like that. Bring them to a park to play while you do laps. It will mode good habits for them and make it more enjoyable for you.

pfinley82

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frankton

My body has already began adjusting to smaller portions. Thanks for the tip!

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    For those that are looking for a natural appetite suppressant, just a handful of almonds is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin E, and magnesium. Almonds have also been shown to increase feelings of fullness in people and help with weight management. I keep a jar available at work and home (I keep a limit of 5 otherwise I would scarf). This is my emergency snack should I get hungry.

Water is the other suppressant. The feeling of hunger has the same feeling as thirst. Before eating, try drinking a glass of water then waiting. I have found I was actually thirsty at times and didn't even remember I was "hungry."

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been bad. I haven't been cheating, still been eating healthy. But, I haven't been working out. I get home, and instead of working out, I start turning wood instead. It's what I get for having my home gym and my wood shop in the same room...

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Lost 18lbs in January!

234 --> 216

Current: 213~

Goal: 180.

I started dieting and exercising more for the New Year. I used to be a skinny/scrawny stick figure of a dude. The last few years I've been a lot less active, sitting at a desk for work and shoving horrible food down my gullet.

I've cut out carbs and sugar. Have only drank water and coffee in 2015. No soda, no beer, no nothing. Just water and coffee. I eat probably less than 20g of carbs daily and I don't measure sugar intake as it's minuscule at best. I generally feel better and more energized. I'm not as hungry any more as I used to be, which is great. I can wake up now and go 4 or 5 hours without eating whereas in the past I'd be miserable and grumpy if I had not eaten yet in that time frame. Even when I am hungry, the feeling is easy to ignore until I am ready to eat. So if I am out and about, doing whatever and hungry, the hunger pang is barely noticeable. Also eating smaller meals. :)

Went from 32's to 34's... that was a change I could live with. Then had to start buying 36's... okay, whatever... then when those started to get a bit tight... I knew I had to make a change.

Went from 165~ to 234 in the course of about 3 or 4 years. When I was 165 I was very very active, worked physical jobs and spent as much time as I could outside on a bike, in the woods hiking or whatever. I don't expect to get down to that size again but 180 is the healthy weight for my age, height and size.

Once it warms up I want to be on a bicycle a lot more and out and about, hiking and maybe even running (even though I hate running)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Walked 0.25mi, then ran two miles of intervals. Run 6mph for a quarter mile, then a quarter at 6.5mph, last quarter was 7mph. Feelin' good!

Time for a bit of weights then off to work. Vacation in 11 days.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    As of last night I started using the elliptical again. I fell of the fitness wagon in December, and I'm recovering from a damaged shoulder so I am limited in what I can do. We're heading on vacation at the end of the month and I know I'll put on weight then so I'm trying to get some breathing room in my clothes :P

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I am trying the Advocare 10 day cleanse (pills and drinks--no, you don't s*** your brains out). My wife lost a pants size on her last go round. I'm skeptical, and am on day 3. To keep this experiment valid, I am not altering my diet. Will update later...
    Update: Day 7 of Advocare 10 Day Cleanse

Stepped on the scale and I have dropped 4.3lbs!
    This is impressive as I have plateaued for a long time!
    (because of schedule I have only exercised 4/7 days: 1 mile of cardio & weights per session)

Updates to come...

Top Bottom