• Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    STORY TIME

Good news!

My goal for 2015 is to get back into shape. I was never too out of shape, but well, okay I sort of was.

I went from about 165-170lbs a few years ago to about 234 more recently. I'm 6'2", so I'm a taller guy (I guess) so I'm used to being tall and skinny. The last few years I've been much less active as I used to be due to my job (IT / desk drone) and an increase in poor eating habits. Years of being idle and eating horrible food has resulted in the softening of my mid sections.

I used to eat about 40-60% of all my food 'out'. I'd order pizza twice a week, go to McDonalds, go to Subway, and the stuff I made at home was insanely simple or something I could make in the microwave. I'm not much of a cook....

Well, in 2015 I've cooked every single meal at home for myself. I've not spent a dime on fast food. I've had zero soda. I've cut out all carbs and sugars (well some items may have miniscule amounts of each but they're basically gone) and have lost about 10lbs already. Did you know salad tastes good? I didn't. And yes, it does. Steamed brocolli and cauliflower... where have you been my entire life? You're delicious! It's also comically easy to cook chicken in the over and fry pork chops (new favourite food) in the skillet.

I still have all my old 32X32's in my closet. I was a bit saddened when I went to 34X32's, but chalked it up to 'getting older' (I'm in my mid-upper 20's)... then came the 36X32s... I don't want to buy anymore new jeans. Time to get back into shape and fit back into my old clothes. :)

I'm following the keto diet and it's working quite well. I also LOVE sandwiches without bread now. I like getting out some turkey or ham, cheese, and a slice of tomato and rolling it up and wrapping it in lettuce and eating it like that.

Two summers ago I stood on a scale and broke 200. I remember thinking, 'Now I'm going to take care of this'... and I didn't. I wish I had started caring then.

Sorry for the rant, just happy to finally be taking care of this. I can't afford health insurance and as a independent contractor for the IT industry it's not supplied to me by my employer so it seems wise to take care of myself and be responsible for my health. Once it warms up I plan on being much more active outside too.

This was me in 2011
    , I believe. Apparently was outside a ton that year because I look super dark. Anyhow, I'd be happy to be within 20-30lbs of that again.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Been hitting the gym regularly now. Mon, Wed, & Fri, I do about 15 min's on the tread mill & about 30+ min's doing the weight machines. Then on Tue & Thu I do 1 hour on the tread mill. I also manage to get in about 1 1/2 hour of tennis 2x'x a week.

Also some great news... Looks like a new indoor gun range is going to be opening up right next door to my gym. So after a work out I can go :ar15:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I'm in Fishers. I joined the YMCA there and just run on the treadmill. I'm not really training for a specific 5k, but just use the app to keep on a schedule. It keeps me accountable as I look to improve stamina and boost cardio level.

Depending on how it goes I will probably find one to run in come spring time.

There's no better way to be "held accountable" than to sign up, pay, and tell all your friends that you signed up for a 5k. I always have a race of some sort on the calendar. On days that I want to sleep in I think about race day, and think if I don't want race day to totally suck, I better get out there.

That helps me, kudos to you for sticking with it!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So we didn't do the 5k we planned to do in Miami. Never signed up. I haven't worked out much in months. When I'm on my treadmill the last few workouts were run a few mins, walk a few. I decided to run with my wife here on the boardwalk. Yesterday I did 8 mins run, walk 5, 8 mins run. Surprised myself. Today it was 10 min run, 5 mins walk, 10 mins run. Woot. Thighs are killing me, but I did it. Now I know I'm just lazy.

maybe the scenery helps too

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So we didn't do the 5k we planned to do in Miami. Never signed up. I haven't worked out much in months. When I'm on my treadmill the last few workouts were run a few mins, walk a few. I decided to run with my wife here on the boardwalk. Yesterday I did 8 mins run, walk 5, 8 mins run. Surprised myself. Today it was 10 min run, 5 mins walk, 10 mins run. Woot. Thighs are killing me, but I did it. Now I know I'm just lazy.

maybe the scenery helps too

Awesome Doc!
    Im sure being with the wife helps too. ;D

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Awesome Doc!
    Im sure being with the wife helps too. ;D

Yeah, I should have included that. I do much better when exercising with her. She used to get mad at me all the time when I'd encourage her or generally talk while we ran. Now she uses headphones and we get along fine on the runs :):

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've built up to being able to 20 minutes on the elliptical, I went from 5 minutes to 9 then 14 then 18, and for the last few days, I've done 20. I did 20 early yesterday, and another 10 later in the day. I've also been doing my dumbbell curls, and have added in a pushup program from an Iphone app, that was an eye opener! I did 30 in the initial test, and the app advised me to start at week 3, day 1. I didn't think I could do week 3 to start with, so I went back to week 2 and started there, and that damn near killed me! I made it through all 3 workouts last week, but barely, so I'm gonna start week 2 over again and go from there.

I've been doing a LOT of walking to, and have dropped some weight, and I actually look forward to doing my pushups and elliptical time now.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've built up to being able to 20 minutes on the elliptical, I went from 5 minutes to 9 then 14 then 18, and for the last few days, I've done 20. I did 20 early yesterday, and another 10 later in the day. I've also been doing my dumbbell curls, and have added in a pushup program from an Iphone app, that was an eye opener! I did 30 in the initial test, and the app advised me to start at week 3, day 1. I didn't think I could do week 3 to start with, so I went back to week 2 and started there, and that damn near killed me! I made it through all 3 workouts last week, but barely, so I'm gonna start week 2 over again and go from there.

I've been doing a LOT of walking to, and have dropped some weight, and I actually look forward to doing my pushups and elliptical time now.

Ellipticals are strange. They seem to vary quite a bit between models. I got to where I could do 35 minutes at a decent trot on the elliptical at Anytime Fitness. My first time on the one at my new gym, 15 felt like it was gonna kill me. I was able to push back up to 30 today. I guess it's just working a slightly different muscle group.

I guess that's why you're supposed to vary your workout so nothing gets "easy".

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Ellipticals are strange. They seem to vary quite a bit between models. I got to where I could do 35 minutes at a decent trot on the elliptical at Anytime Fitness. My first time on the one at my new gym, 15 felt like it was gonna kill me. I was able to push back up to 30 today. I guess it's just working a slightly different muscle group.

I guess that's why you're supposed to vary your workout so nothing gets "easy".
    Yeah, we bought a mid priced one, and I'm really happy with it so far, although I'll admit I don't use the incline and keep the resistance at a lower setting, for now. I also keep the pedals on the flattest setting, simply because it's the most comfortable for me. My wife uses the built in workouts that vary resistance and incline, but I figure I'm doing great just doing 20 minutes on it instead of holding the couch down drinking beer. :):

I was really leary of the thing when we first got it, didn't think I'd ever get up to a meaningful time on it, but so far, it's made me a little stronger, and seriously increased my lung capacity.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I wasn't able to walk much this week at work since I had to go into town on my lunch breaks, but yesterday I got out and did some yard work. It felt good to get outside. :)

I was hoping to do some shooting today but the weather didn't want me to.

I also still need to do better on the eating side of things.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I need to walk more and eat better, but I was at a concert on Saturday and walked over a mile (on accident as the concert was at a different venue then I thought). Today I finally got to use my Y membership. Wasn't doing too much but did 10 miles on a bike. Might try some weight stuff later.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    58 years old and 5'8". I started dieting when I reached 282lbs. A year later and I'm weighing in at 224. I'm going to try to keep my weight at 205-210 (where I feel best) but for now my goal is to get below the 200 mark just for something to brag about since I haven't been below 200 since 1982. I did it all so far with no exercise, just calorie counting.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Anyone on here actually trying to gain weight and not lose some?

Just wondering.

Keep on the good work everyone.And if you already fell from the fitness wagon it's never too late tonget back on!

Top Bottom