• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Ellipticals are strange. They seem to vary quite a bit between models. I got to where I could do 35 minutes at a decent trot on the elliptical at Anytime Fitness. My first time on the one at my new gym, 15 felt like it was gonna kill me. I was able to push back up to 30 today. I guess it's just working a slightly different muscle group.

I guess that's why you're supposed to vary your workout so nothing gets "easy".

I tried one for the first time today as well, and I agree, it did feel strange. I can do the tread mill and burn 100 calories in 15 min @ 4mph. On the ellipticals it only took 12 min to burn 100. It's going to take some getting used to though, It just felt weird.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've noticed on the elliptical, the first 2 or 3 minutes are rough, kills my thigh muscles, but then it gets a lot more comfortable for the rest of the time. I've been putting in time on it every day, but starting this week, I'm gonna switch to tues, thurs, and sat, just to see if I keep improving. I'm most impressed by the fact that I'm not sore or overly jelly legged when I get done.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I had been lifting weights but not putting on much muscle. Found out my problem was that I wasn't eating enough, especially protein. Read many sources and talked to a couple of people. I came to the conclusion that I needed a lot more protein to build muscle than what I was getting. As a light eater, I wasn't getting very much at all. Originally I was using soy protein as that was what Walmart was selling that tasted good. Found out that wasn't what I should be taking. So now I'm drinking an 8 oz. 20+ grams of whey protein shake in the morning, taking another 20+ grams after work (shake or bar), and then using 10 oz. 20ish grams of casein protein just before bed.

During this transition I had some pain in my lower forearm that would come and go. It is almost to the point of being healed, but I continued with my ab exercises and added 30 mins. of the elliptical on my non-strength training days. I think the additional protein intake is definitely helping. After two weeks of abs and the elliptical while taking the protein, I'm now starting to actually get some definition and a flatter stomach. Before I would get the standard definition after the workout, but by the next day it would be gone. The last two weeks I lifted only a 25 lbs. dumbbell as to give my injured forearm a break. Next week I will go up to using the 30 lbs. and hope to do that for a few weeks then up it to the 35 lbs. I had been using. Wondering just how much a different there will be now that I've included increased protein consumption plus some cardio on non-strength days. I would be happy being able to us 40-50 pound dumbbells, not wanting to get all that huge really.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I too started taking extra protein. I first stated eating the Slim Fast brand of bars, but it only had 10g of protein, so now I just started to take the Pure Protein bars which has 20g each. I didn't like the shakes unless they were pre-made, just too much hassle. I like the bars as it also helps me avoid the junk food's.

However now.... I to developed a pain in my right forearm, I think it's tennis elbow. My son and I (who is less than 1/2 my age) were demoing some new tennis racquets and seeing who can hit the ball the fastest. Needless to say I stopped lifting weights for two weeks and now use a arm brace around my upper elbow which helps. I'm only doing the tread mill for now, I have a tennis game Saturday so I'll see how it feels then. I have at least one more week with-out weights though.

Carnitine also helps your muscles recop a little faster... so they say.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Back home, back on the treadmill. I ran 10 mins x 2 in FL and I can't do 3 mins on our treadmill. I am really getting irritated.

Treadmills are dangerous things. In all my years of being friends with athletes with injuries, or having an injury of my own, they have come from treadmills.

I guess Ill join the group here.

Found out that after the holidays I put on 16 lbs. Im sure being a complete pink slug for months on end hasn't helped much.

About 3 weeks ago I started doing single set pushups and situps before bed & work in the morning.

This week the wife & I started running indoors at our local church gym.

So far 30 pushups & situps is the max in one set. Last night I turned in a 16.3 mile & 1/2.

Getting better but lots to go.

Keep up the good work INGO!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had been lifting weights but not putting on much muscle. Found out my problem was that I wasn't eating enough, especially protein.

I too started taking extra protein.

This is common among most; not enough daily protein.

My son and I both have this issue. We both aim for 1 gram per pound of body weight. And that is our goal body weight, not what we currently weigh. I usually don't get there, but by increasing protein intake, I am gaining a little bit of weight and I am gaining more muscle mass.

My son is getting the protein he needs and he is making better gains than I am. I say it's cuz he's eating more protein. He thinks it's because he's 30 years younger than me.:)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I usually drink a Kelloggs breakfast shake in the mornings, which has 10 grams of protein, then I eat a can of tuna in the afternoon, so my protein has been pretty good.

Read an article a while back about drinking a glass of chocolate milk after workouts helping to heal muscles, thus creating better performance in the workouts. I started drinking a 12 ounce glass of 2% milk with a few 2 tbsp of Hershey syrup in it immediately after strength or cardio, and I'll be damned, it seems like it's worked pretty well.

There was a blog about the chocolate milk thing on the Myfitnesspal app earlier this week.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have a case of tuna I need to go through. One can is 2.5 servings and claims nearly 70% of protein requirements.

Tonight was first run on a level (0.3deg) treadmill. I walked 90 seconds then ran 2.5 miles at 6mph :rockwoot:. A few things motivated me.

- belief it will be easier since level
    - upcoming trip
    - seeing pic of me from a few years ago looking In better shape
    - 90's hop pandora station playing instead of a medical podcast. This is the music from college when I was very active

motivators go a long way. Time for tuna :D

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Why wait until Wednesday?
    Good for you though. It's a lifestyle change and it has to come from within. Keep pictures of yourself when you were skinnier handy, or a role model of what you want to look like.
    Remember you are not alone and the DECISION to be fit and healthy can be hourly.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A common mistake is to make weight loss goals. We have all seen it countless times; the roller coaster of losing weight, only to put it back on. Then you "diet" again. Some spend a lifetime of this pattern.

Our brains are wired to achieve goals and if your goal is weight loss, once you lose it, you will need to put it back on so you can continue to achieve your goal of weight loss.

If you want to lose the weight and keep it off for the rest of your life, set a body weight goal. Say your 220lbs and you want to weigh 190. Don't set a goal to lose 30 lbs. Set a goal to weigh 190. Then when you hit 190, keep the goal to weigh 190. As soon as you drift a couple pounds over 190, you will pull it back down to 190. Otherwise you will say, "it's only a couple pounds, no big deal". But then the couple pounds turns into 5, then 10, then 15. And now you have to start all over.

Something to think about. You may think this is just semantics, but it will work better to think this way.

I have fluctuated less than 10lbs since I was a freshman in college and reached my goal weight. And I'm 55 now.

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield
    I think I am the only one going in the opposite direction. I eat 5,000 cals on my workout days and around 3,000 on none workout days. I lift hard and heavy which burns far more calories than a 30 minute jog. I went from 185 to 215 in 6 months. I only have one pair of jeans that fits due to doing squats twice a week. For cardio, I walk for 20-30 minutes at a quick pace on the days that I do not lift. Walking keeps the heart rate up enough for cardiovascular health which is the only reason I do it. Maintaining proper form with adequate warm up and stretching allows me to lift heavy and have zero joint pain.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think I am the only one going in the opposite direction. I eat 5,000 cals on my workout days and around 3,000 on none workout days. I lift hard and heavy which burns far more calories than a 30 minute jog. I went from 185 to 215 in 6 months. I only have one pair of jeans that fits due to doing squats twice a week. For cardio, I walk for 20-30 minutes at a quick pace on the days that I do not lift. Walking keeps the heart rate up enough for cardiovascular health which is the only reason I do it. Maintaining proper form with adequate warm up and stretching allows me to lift heavy and have zero joint pain.

I am too. But I'm just 6lbs from my goal weight at this point. I can only gain weight if I am lifting weights. I don't have the caloric intake that you have, but I am getting close to my 180 grams of protein each day which is helping.

I don't play the age card, but I am finding it harder to gain muscle mass and strength compared to 30 years ago.

Top Bottom