• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I was returning from Evansville this afternoon around 2:30/2:45 Northbound on I-69 about mile 50 when I glanced at my drivers side mirror and spotted a white Crown Vic with roof lights nearly on me. I glanced at my speed and went Oh S_ _ _ _ as I was up close to 80. Well the cruiser went by me like I was sitting by the side of the road and within 2-3 minutes was out of sight. No lights or siren, just haulin. So my question is how fast are they allowed to go when the lights and siren are off? Traffic was sparse, so if a silent alarm, could probably see it, but damn, he was moving!

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    Good question. I wonder that all the time. I'm near a State Police "hub" I guess you could call it. And they go really fast everywhere, its really annoying.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Because everyone likes reading ICs.

IC 9-13-2-6
    Sec. 6. "Authorized emergency vehicle" means the following: (1) The following vehicles: (A) Fire department vehicles. (B) Police department vehicles. (C) Ambulances. (D) Emergency vehicles operated by or for hospitals or health and hospital corporations under IC 16-22-8.
    (2) Vehicles designated as emergency vehicles by the Indiana department of transportation under IC 9-21-20-1.
    (3) Motor vehicles that, subject to IC 9-21-20-2, are approved by the Indiana emergency medical services commission that are: (A) ambulances that are owned by persons, firms, limited liability companies, or corporations other than hospitals; or (B) not ambulances and that provide emergency medical services, including extrication and rescue services (as defined in IC 16-18-2-110).
    (4) Vehicles of the department of correction that, subject to IC 9-21-20-3, are: (A) designated by the department of correction as emergency vehicles; and (B) responding to an emergency. As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.1-1992, SEC.35; P.L.2-1993, SEC.64; P.L.8-1993, SEC.165.

IC 9-21-1-8

Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to the person who drives an authorized emergency vehicle when: (1) responding to an emergency call; (2) in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law; or (3) responding to, but not upon returning from, a fire alarm.
    (b) The person who drives an authorized emergency vehicle may do the following: (1) Park or stand, notwithstanding other provisions of this article. (2) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as necessary for safe operation. (3) Exceed the maximum speed limits if the person who drives the vehicle does not endanger life or property. (4) Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

(c) This section applies to an authorized emergency vehicle only when the vehicle is using audible or visual signals as required by law. An authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle is not required to be equipped with or display red and blue lights visible from in front of the vehicle.

(d) This section does not do the following: (1) Relieve the person who drives an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons. (2) Protect the person who drives an authorized emergency vehicle from the consequences of the person's reckless disregard for the safety of others. As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

IC 9-21-5-1

Sec. 1. A person may not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions, having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. Speed shall be restricted as necessary to avoid colliding with a person, vehicle, or other conveyance on, near, or entering a highway in compliance with legal requirements and with the duty of all persons to use due care.

IC 9-21-5-4

Sec. 4. The driver of each vehicle shall, consistent with section 1 of this chapter, drive at an appropriate reduced speed as follows:
    (1) When approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing.
    (2) When approaching and going around a curve.
    (3) When approaching a hill crest.
    (4) When traveling upon a narrow or winding roadway.

(5) When special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If it is that big of a deal that you need to post about it on INGO, call the nearest post and make a complaint.

Sometimes civilians are just curious about your mysterious ways more than anything else... especially when he could have busted us for speeding too. :):

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Depends on which gear ratio his Crown Vic had, 3.55 gear car is limited to 120mph and 3.27 gear vic's go 137mph...

Shame he didnt have a Charger with a Hemi, those really haul ass!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If it is that big of a deal that you need to post about it on INGO, call the nearest post and make a complaint.

This is the answer. Try to get the car number, time, location, and direction of travel.

I worked the Police desk for a while and used to get these types of complaints. Amazing how many squad cars' number is 911. I couldn't do much with that. Not with 50 or city squad cars on the street at any given time.

Another answer to the question is 135 mph with the light bar and almost 150 with a flat-top.

In the Trooper's defense, at one of my part-time jobs a few years ago a Trooper friend would stop by once in a while in the middle of the night. He got a call once that required him to respond over 90 miles since he was the only Officer in service at the time. He drove kind of fast until he got there or somebody was able to go back into service and handle the call. Stuff happens. It isn't a perfect world.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    This is the answer. Try to get the car number, time, location, and direction of travel.

I worked the Police desk for a while and used to get these types of complaints. Amazing how many squad cars' number is 911. I couldn't do much with that.

Another answer to the question is 135 mph with the light bar and almost 150 with a flat-top.

In the Trooper's defense, at one of my part-time jobs a few years ago a Trooper friend would stop by once in a while in the middle of the night. He got a call once that required him to respond over 90 miles since he was the only Officer in service at the time. He drove kind of fast until he got there or somebody was able to go back into service and handle the call. Stuff happens.
    Yep, that was the car number for sure! Everything else was just a blur.:):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I worked the Police desk for a while and used to get these types of complaints. Amazing how many squad cars' number is 911. I couldn't do much with that.

In the Trooper's defense, at one of my part-time jobs a few years ago a Trooper friend would stop by once in a while in the middle of the night. He got a call once that required him to respond over 90 miles since he was the only Officer in service at the time. He drove kind of fast until he got there or somebodye was able to go back into service and handle the call. Stuff happens.

Not to knock you, but your buddy's a moron... If he was the only officer in service, what the hell was he doing 90 miles away? Granted I'm not in life safety, but when Im on duty, or even on call, it would be irresponsible for me to be 90 minutes away from my post when my job expects me to respond within minutes.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Not to knock you, but your buddy's a moron... If he was the only officer in service, what the hell was he doing 90 miles away? Granted I'm not in life safety, but when Im on duty, or even on call, it would be irresponsible for me to be 90 minutes away from my post when my job expects me to respond within minutes.

He was not 90 minutes from his post. He was in Eastern Allen County and assigned to the Ft Wayne post. The call was in Ligonier. He and all troopers are STATE troopers. They go where they are needed. There were no county Officers available at the moment. It was a priority call. Again, stuff happens.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    He was not 90 minutes from his post. He was in Eastern Allen County and assigned to the Ft Wayne post. The call was in Ligonier. He and all troopers are STATE troopers. They go where they are needed. There were no county Officers available at the moment. It was a priority call. Again, stuff happens.

Sorry I misunderstood when you said he was the only officer in service at the time. I assumed if he was state he wouldnt have been the only one in service (out of hundreds? Thousands?) at that time and there had to be others available.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    I used to have an ISP trooper as a Flight student...he drove fast everywhere..I jumped him about it and he just smiled.

One time I followed a trooper towards Bloomington and my wife told me to slow down. I said if he can do it so can I. She finally
    convinced me no I couldn't.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think its sad that we spread these guys out so far without backup. SP or county, whatever.

I wish they'd just raise the limits some more and also make it mandatory for slower traffic to move to the right lane like other states have.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom