• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sorry I misunderstood when you said he was the only officer in service at the time. I assumed if he was state he wouldnt have been the only one in service (out of hundreds? Thousands?) at that time and there had to be others available.

At any given time, it is entirely possible that ALL Officers in a given area are out of service because they are on calls for service. The dispatchers will broadcast a general appeal for anybody that can go back to service for a call, but it may not be possible if everybody is investigating priority calls. In the absence of this general request, the individual Officers may not know that everybody else is out of service like they are. Everybody is doing their job and concentrating on the job at hand. Not paying attention to where other Officers are being sent.

Under those circumstances, city dispatchers start looking for county and state Officers to help on priority calls. There is no way for a Trooper talking to the Ft Wayne Post dispatcher that all of the Ligonier Officers are out of service on runs and that Ligonier needs help and has requested help from the Ft Wayne post. Until the Ft wayne dispatcher advises the Trooper what is going on and sends the Trooper.

Another reason for a State Trooper to be be in a hurry is if he is a specialized skill Trooper or a local Officer has requested emergency backup. In Allen County, a Signal 154.

The blue line can get very thin sometimes.

Again, I don't know why the trooper was hustling on I69. I encourage the complaint process.

Last edited:

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    My understanding is that unless they are responding to an emergency WITH lights and sirens, they are held to the same laws of the road as you or I. That said, I once saw a thread on here where a LEO posted a pretty good point; something along the line of "well we could go exactly the speed limit so as to set a law abiding example. Who in their right mind is going to speed past a cop going the speed limit? So they are virtually a rolling traffic jam slowing traffic as they go with NOBODY willing to pass them. So instead he travels a reasonable speed several MPH's over the limit like a normal driver would so as to not hold up traffic.

Basically, if they go the speed limit, people will complain.
    If they go over the speed limit, people will complain.

Hats off to the officers who put themselves in harms way each and every day protecting yours and mine.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    My understanding is that unless they are responding to an emergency WITH lights and sirens, they are held to the same laws of the road as you or I. That said, I once saw a thread on here where a LEO posted a pretty good point; something along the line of "well we could go exactly the speed limit so as to set a law abiding example. Who in their right mind is going to speed past a cop going the speed limit? So they are virtually a rolling traffic jam slowing traffic as they go with NOBODY willing to pass them. So instead he travels a reasonable speed several MPH's over the limit like a normal driver would so as to not hold up traffic.

Basically, if they go the speed limit, people will complain.
    If they go over the speed limit, people will complain.

Hats off to the officers who put themselves in harms way each and every day protecting yours and mine.

HEAR HEAR ! ! !

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I was returning from Evansville this afternoon around 2:30/2:45 Northbound on I-69 about mile 50 when I glanced at my drivers side mirror and spotted a white Crown Vic with roof lights nearly on me. I glanced at my speed and went Oh S_ _ _ _ as I was up close to 80. Well the cruiser went by me like I was sitting by the side of the road and within 2-3 minutes was out of sight. No lights or siren, just haulin. So my question is how fast are they allowed to go when the lights and siren are off? Traffic was sparse, so if a silent alarm, could probably see it, but damn, he was moving!

If I had been you, I would have just been thanking [my lucky stars] that I wasn't getting busted.
    I don't care how fast a cop runs or even what they're up to as long as it doesn't involve me.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Yeah, what's the big deal? A cop going almost 3 times the speed limit, with no lights or sirens, and racing with another cop. Only t-boned my best friend, turning left at a green light, killing him and his girlfriend. His mom had a heart attack, his girlfriends daughter is without a mom, and I got to pick thru a blood and gore filled car to recover personal items of his and hers. But at least the cop got home safe that night, and received a two week paid vacation, plus therapy. So yeah I don't see what the big deal is?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought the light bar makes such a difference. I learn something new every day. :)

Aerodynamics. The old taller halogen bars were worse. If they weren't on perfectly straight they could push your car like a slight crosswind, plus they would make an incredibly annoying whistle.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This. When it comes to a police officer speeding outside of a police chase they should be following all the rules of the road same as any other driver.
    In the real world that is IMPOSSIBLE and an oversimplification. There are only a few kinds of runs where we are allowed to run hot, 90% of our "in progress" we are not allowed. However, I still need to get to that domestic, fight, crash, etc in a timely manner that will likely cause me to speed. However, I do so with the caveat that I am responsible if I crash or cause a crash.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I've seen cops routinely doing at LEAST 20-30 over with their kids in the backseat on either 70 or 465. I've also missed being t-boned by a cop who decided to "close his eyes and gun it" to turn left across a 4 lane road coming out of a parking lot.

Obviously fringe cases, but I drive a lot so notice a lot.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I see idiot civilians blow by me everyday. I'm not mad or jealous. Like Denny said, if you speed your responsible for your own actions be it a ticket a wreck Ect. I just silently think to myself "dumbass" as they blow past me. Cops (if I see family in the car) or civilians. Now if a cop is on a run I would like them getting there ASAP if it was me calling them for help. If speeding helps them get there faster to help a person I need of help then go for it.
    Unless someone is REALY flying or they beat a lot of lights, I've found most of the time i catch up to them just doing the speed limit. So what was the point of them risking a high prices ticket? Nothing.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Aerodynamics. The old taller halogen bars were worse. If they weren't on perfectly straight they could push your car like a slight crosswind, plus they would make an incredibly annoying whistle.

Annoying?! Sounded just like the sweet, sweet sound of a citizen squealing under the weight of a jackboot on his neck.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've seen cops routinely doing at LEAST 20-30 over with their kids in the backseat on either 70 or 465. I've also missed being t-boned by a cop who decided to "close his eyes and gun it" to turn left across a 4 lane road coming out of a parking lot.

Obviously fringe cases, but I drive a lot so notice a lot.

I was just going to post a similar experience, though it was not state police.

A few years ago, I was driving north on I-65 toward 69. I was passed by police car with the driver talking on his cell phone. He had two small kids in the back unrestrained and they were actually turned around and playing as though they were shooting at cars through the back window. I actually wanted to get his car number but would have to exceed 90 to catch him.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I followed a state police car headed towards Cincy on 74 back in the summer. I was on my bike and he blew by me at first, then got held up by a semi passing another semi and I caught up to him again. When he was able to get around the truck he seemed to floor it, so I rolled on the throttle and kept up. We were doing between 90 and 95 for a good while when he finally got off at an exit in the middle of nowhere, I guessed he was in a hurry to get home, but that of course is speculation.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    If I had been you, I would have just been thanking [my lucky stars] that I wasn't getting busted.
    I don't care how fast a cop runs or even what they're up to as long as it doesn't involve me.
    This for sure. Last time I saw a State trooper coming up behind me pretty fast, I told my son, he's after somebody's ass. He was. Me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not to knock you, but your buddy's a moron... If he was the only officer in service, what the hell was he doing 90 miles away? Granted I'm not in life safety, but when Im on duty, or even on call, it would be irresponsible for me to be 90 minutes away from my post when my job expects me to respond within minutes.

Statement of fact.......My wife was involved in a bumper tag incident this summer. Idiot that caused it all was claiming injury (he was not hurt just looking for s lawyer) and the accident with injury went out. State cars responded as we were on the interstate. Last one on scene said he was 50 miles away when he got the call. These guys are spread very thin.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I was returning from Evansville this afternoon around 2:30/2:45 Northbound on I-69 about mile 50 when I glanced at my drivers side mirror and spotted a white Crown Vic with roof lights nearly on me. I glanced at my speed and went Oh S_ _ _ _ as I was up close to 80. Well the cruiser went by me like I was sitting by the side of the road and within 2-3 minutes was out of sight. No lights or siren, just haulin. So my question is how fast are they allowed to go when the lights and siren are off? Traffic was sparse, so if a silent alarm, could probably see it, but damn, he was moving!

Depends, Uphill or Downhill. If I or someone else need the POlice, I want them there ASAP, safely for them and Others. Exceeding the Posted Speed Limit is sometimes (Often) prudently Necessary

Top Bottom