• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Just put the new plate on the other day. Both headlights work. They can't see the headlights if they're tailgating me anyway. But it sure seems like they are trying. Maybe they could check my brake lights?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dunkin' Donuts isn't open 24 hours you know. If you get there within the last 30 minutes, it's buy one, get one free.

2601935011_09a4defe13.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought the light bar makes such a difference. I learn something new every day. :)

Drag increases with the cube of speed.

You want to go twice as fast? It takes 8x the power to do so. (if drag is the only force).

So yeah, at high speeds even tiny changes in aerodynamics can make a big difference.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I work with a guy that his dad used to be a state trooper. He told me once that they would drive faster than the flow if traffic in order to see as many different vehicles on the road as possible. If they only just kept up with traffic you wouldn't see very many different vehicles. And therefore have less traffic stops.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I drive faster in my personal vehicle than the issued one when I'm off duty. I figure people see a police car speeding around in a different town and get all huffy. If I'm in my own vehicle then I can do what I want and any police interaction I end up with is on me. I've never been pulled over though, so I must not be too much of a speedster.

usafmora

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    North Vernon
    As stated, not everything allows for lights. We couldn't run hot to a domestic unless an ambulance was also in route or there was a weapon in play. I'll also say that depending on the traffic, its sometimes faster and safer to leave them off, especially in the day time. They aren't magic traffic movers, and there's a ton of people in nearly soundproof cars with the radio on, talking on their cell phone, and giving themselves a rectal exam. Its sometimes quicker just to weave through traffic than it is to turn the lights on and wait for people to move right (or just slam their brakes on and sit in the middle of the road...)

That be my Wife there, but she also puts her hands over her ears.:dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    For all the police I've seen rush past me on the highways (no lights/code 1 or other just chilling along), I have yet to see ONE prowler smashed into another vehicle. I've only seen one prowler on the side of the road (actually off the road) and it was during the roughest ice storm we had in Toledo in 40 years back in the late 90s. His prowler had gone off the road (and the TMPD had just switched to cars with antilock brakes, so he slid, lol). My dad and I were in our Wrangler surveying the ruckus, had us drive him up to a service station to phone in the incident and get picked up (not a ton of cell phones at the time). Really nice guy actually, got a coffee while his super came to pick him up lol. I felt bad for him b/c his super chewed him out, IN FRONT OF US! Being a stupid kid, I mouthed off and said for his super to lay off him, wasn't his fault. My dad cut a glare into me that could have cut the ice in the parking lot! :D

Outside of that, I am not the least concerned with their speed. The other times I've heard of prowlers getting trashed from speed or wreckage were when the drivers were intoxicated (cough, Brownsburg, cough, new Charger, cough gravel section of new road) :D

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I can't believe I'm the first to say it...

He was just in a hurry to get some fresh doughnuts he heard over the radio were coming out of the oven at the local bakery :).

They're supposed to do the speed limit just like... everybody else. I've no issues with an officer speeding [within reason] without lights+siren for two reasons:
    1. We all do it [if you say you don't, maybe you're honest - but you've probably done it at least once].
    2. Speed limits, by and large, are set too low. Ever been on a road that was in the middle of nowhere and had a speed limit of 30 and you thought, "Man, I could easily do 50 on this road safely."

Just how I see it.

Top Bottom