0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It's just a hunch, but I would guess that if a bunch of people you didn't know decided to stage an open carry demonstration on your front porch you might be tempted to ask them not to do that.

If you wouldn't be thrilled about a bunch of guys carrying rifles on your front porch, then ask yourself how is your front porch different from their business? Does it make you anti-gun if you don't want strangers carrying rifles on your front porch?

The basic problem is not so much that the businesses are choosing to side with MDA, but that the open carry people are making MDA seem like the reasonable party in the dispute.

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I find it comical that there are many gun owners that not only ridicule those carrying a long gun, but have actually stated they see it as a threat and would draw their firearm at the mere sight of a slung rifle.:dunno:

rob63 said:
    It's just a hunch, but I would guess that if a bunch of people you didn't know decided to stage an open carry demonstration on your front porch you might be tempted to ask them not to do that.

If you wouldn't be thrilled about a bunch of guys carrying rifles on your front porch, then ask yourself how is your front porch different from their business?

The problem with this argument is they apparently called ahead of time and asked them if it was alright if they came by after their rally with their long guns. Someone had posted this side of their story, although I haven't read a lot on it.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood

If you wouldn't be thrilled about a bunch of guys carrying rifles on your front porch, then ask yourself how is your front porch different from their business? Does it make you anti-gun if you don't want strangers carrying rifles on your front porch?

Are these people paying me to be on my front porch? If no, that is the difference. A business makes money from its customers. If that business owner does not want to make money from people carrying guns that is their decision. It's easy, ask them to leave. Comparing my front porch to chipotle doesn't stand up.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Store gun bans like this one are really idiot bans. I'm just sad in this country we cannot ban idiots, and we end up banning a tool. The ban is meant to address the problem of morons posing with long guns for fun. Businesses just want money, and they don't want to scare away other customers. In reality, you can CC all you want. So I don't view such bans as "anti-gun."

As for boycotting the stores, go ahead. They have many more customers who don't care about the ban. Keep scaring people by open carrying AR rifles and exercising poor trigger discipline. Eventually all stores will ban guns, and they'll do fine doing business with the 90% of the population that is tired of idiots with guns.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    I am all for the 2nd amendment. However carrying a rifle openly into dinner is just stupid. Thats not how to win..

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If the manager would have just taken off his apron, grabbed a pair of those Vegan balls and got the mean chick using the chef's knife to back him up this whole thing could have been handled at the store level and been done with.

How does Chipotle plan to protect all its unarmed sheeple if the person in charge cannot even deal with a couple of morons?

Exactly..... With the knife wielding mean chick backing the Manager he should have shouted "Hey morons with the rifles, get out!!! No burrito for you two weeks"

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

The basic problem is not so much that the businesses are choosing to side with MDA, but that the open carry people are making MDA seem like the reasonable party in the dispute.

If people want to organize an open carry demonstration on my front porch, they're more than welcome to. Of course, they should make it known that they're demonstrating, otherwise that might end pretty nasty.

I'm made uncomfortable by people with cellphones in restaurants and movie theaters, yet I don't see them being banned from entering the building with their device.

eldridgj2003

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    central indiana
    They have the right in their private business to take that stand. It shouldn't upset you....they will just not benefit from the protection of good citizens. I, however, will likely not remember that they don't want me to conceal carry and I doubt it will change my behavior. If they notice me forgetting, they can ask me to leave and I will. No big deal.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Best analysis yet...

"If you really want to make a political statement, get off your ass and put work in for candidates who believe what you believe. Or write them a check. Or, if there are no candidates who believe what you do... run for office. Just don't confuse being a dick with being an activist. It's insulting to the people who put their money, their time, and their reputation on the line to support and expand gun rights."

Chipotle, Open Carry, and Common Sense

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    If people want to organize an open carry demonstration on my front porch, they're more than welcome to. Of course, they should make it known that they're demonstrating, otherwise that might end pretty nasty.

I'm made uncomfortable by people with cellphones in restaurants and movie theaters, yet I don't see them being banned from entering the building with their device.
    In all fairness, when is the last time you hear of someone being killed or injured by using a cellphone in a theater or restaurant?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    In all fairness, when is the last time you hear of someone being killed or injured by using a cellphone in a theater or restaurant?

In all fairness, when is the last time you heard of someone being killed or injured by a responsible, peaceable gun owner anywhere, other than in a SD or HD scenario?

(That is, when's the last time a good guy shot someone who wasn't a bad guy?)

Blessings,
    Bill

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    In all fairness, when is the last time you heard of someone being killed or injured by a responsible, peaceable gun owner anywhere, other than in a SD or HD scenario?

(That is, when's the last time a good guy shot someone who wasn't a bad guy?)

Blessings,
    Bill
    I'm not saying that I fear gun carrying people, but I do understand where someone is coming from if seeing a gun scares them. Not everyone grows up around guns and therefore aren't comfortable around them. Is it illogical? Perhaps. But it doesn't invalidate their feelings. You'll never win the war if you just make fun of or belittle people for fearing guns.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The problem with this argument is they apparently called ahead of time and asked them if it was alright if they came by after their rally with their long guns. Someone had posted this side of their story, although I haven't read a lot on it.

How exactly are the people eating in the restaurant supposed to know that they called ahead? Asshats running around scaring people aren't doing us any favors.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

In other words, there might have been a nasty ending if you had walked into the restaurant without knowing that they were demonstrating?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    In other words, there might have been a nasty ending if you had walked into the restaurant without knowing that they were demonstrating?
    I think that's a big leap to compare what he said about finding people with rifles on his own property versus what his reaction woul be in public. It's best not to assume and put words in others mouths just so you can try to make a point.

Top Bottom