• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I super quick check on Ohio (I was bored, and had a few minutes) - they don't seem to have the exclusion for old, black-powder firearms like Indiana does. No mention in KY, either.
    Illinois classifies black powder firearms as weapons. There's also some verbiage that excludes antiques if they are collectables, but not if they are used as a weapon. BB guns are OK though.

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Does this mean that the firearm has to be made before 1899 in order to carry it without a license? because unless you have a original black powder gun made before 1899, I think you would still need a license, because uberti's and pietta's are replicas and recently made. however, black powder is not a contained cartridge so does that make it legal? kinda confusing.
    TW

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    OR

:D

"Or" is disjunctive and presents an alternative item or idea (see what I did there, pretty clever, huh?).

Your 6th grade English teacher is going to read you the riot act.:n00b:

And now, more knowledge from the 1970s:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPeI3hd11_g&feature=fvst[/ame]

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Dude, are you a felon trying to get away with carrying some kind of firearm? I know some states a felon can own ball and cap black powder arms because they are not considered modern firearms. I got a feeling if you get caught with that your going to be doing some time on the "other side of the wire".

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I keep seeing this acronym SVF.I am not familiar, someone enlighten me please?

No, I am a lot of different things, but felon is not one of them

I am simply wanting to exercise my Right to Self Defence in a way that is consistant with my conscience as I explained earlier in the thread.

If I am mistaken in the way I interpret the Law, and any LEO, attorney, prosecuter, judge, etc wishes to correct me, well... that's why I made this post and asked. :)

And as I stated, I am considering having some face to face time with my county Sherrif, Chief of Police, and county prosecuter to affirm what this thread so far seems to support and make sure the local LE is aware of the proper statute/codes.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sorry, Kurr, wasn't my intent to label anyone anything just to ejamakate the boys.:) Forgive me if you thought I was talking about you, I was not.

SVF=Serious Violent Felon. The classification of felons that are prohibited from owning firearms (all firearms) under Indiana law.

Let's look at the statute:

IC 35-47-4-5

Unlawful possession of firearm by serious violent felon
    Sec. 5. (a) As used in this section, "serious violent felon" means a person who has been convicted of:
    (1) committing a serious violent felony in:
    (A) Indiana; or
    (B) any other jurisdiction in which the elements of the crime for which the conviction was entered are substantially similar to the elements of a serious violent felony; or
    (2) attempting to commit or conspiring to commit a serious violent felony in:
    (A) Indiana as provided under IC 35-41-5-1 or IC 35-41-5-2; or
    (B) any other jurisdiction in which the elements of the crime for which the conviction was entered are substantially similar to the elements of attempting to commit or conspiring to commit a serious violent felony.
    (b) As used in this section, "serious violent felony" means:
    (1) murder (IC 35-42-1-1);
    (2) voluntary manslaughter (<A name=IC35-42-1-3>IC 35-42-1-3);
    (3) reckless homicide not committed by means of a vehicle (IC 35-42-1-5);
    (4) battery as a:
    (A) Class A felony (<A name=IC35-42-2-1>IC 35-42-2-1(a)(5));
    (B) Class B felony (<A name=IC35-42-2-1>IC 35-42-2-1(a)(4)); or
    (C) Class C felony (<A name=IC35-42-2-1>IC 35-42-2-1(a)(3));
    (5) aggravated battery (<A name=IC35-42-2-1.5>IC 35-42-2-1.5);
    (6) kidnapping (<A name=IC35-42-3-2>IC 35-42-3-2);
    (7) criminal confinement (<A name=IC35-42-3-3>IC 35-42-3-3);
    (8) rape (<A name=IC35-42-4-1>IC 35-42-4-1);
    (9) criminal deviate conduct (<A name=IC35-42-4-2>IC 35-42-4-2);
    (10) child molesting (<A name=IC35-42-4-3>IC 35-42-4-3);
    (11) sexual battery as a Class C felony (<A name=IC35-42-4-8>IC 35-42-4-8);
    (12) robbery (<A name=IC35-42-5-1>IC 35-42-5-1);
    (13) carjacking (<A name=IC35-42-5-2>IC 35-42-5-2);
    (14) arson as a Class A felony or Class B felony (IC 35-43-1-1(a));
    (15) burglary as a Class A felony or Class B felony (IC 35-43-2-1);
    (16) assisting a criminal as a Class C felony (<A name=IC35-44-3-2>IC 35-44-3-2);
    (17) resisting law enforcement as a Class B felony or Class C felony (<A name=IC35-44-3-3>IC 35-44-3-3);
    (18) escape as a Class B felony or Class C felony (IC 35-44-3-5);
    (19) trafficking with an inmate as a Class C felony (IC 35-44-3-9);
    (20) criminal gang intimidation (<A name=IC35-45-9-4>IC 35-45-9-4);
    (21) stalking as a Class B felony or Class C felony (IC 35-45-10-5);
    (22) incest (<A name=IC35-46-1-3>IC 35-46-1-3);
    (23) dealing in or manufacturing cocaine or a narcotic drug (IC 35-48-4-1);
    (24) dealing in methamphetamine (<A name=IC35-48-4-1.1>IC 35-48-4-1.1);
    (25) dealing in a schedule I, II, or III controlled substance (IC 35-48-4-2);
    (26) dealing in a schedule IV controlled substance (IC 35-48-4-3); or
    (27) dealing in a schedule V controlled substance (IC 35-48-4-4).
    (c) A serious violent felon who knowingly or intentionally possesses a firearm commits unlawful possession of a firearm by a
    serious violent felon, a Class B felony.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Stick around, we'll teach you LSA, OWI, PI, PM, PP, HTV, HSO, HO, and all the other acronyms and initialisms in the world of criminal law.:D
    Sheesh... Legalese is hard enough to cypher as it is without going into "acronyms" and "initialisms"

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I do wish I could understand the law better, jurisprudence, court activities, legal procedings/procedures etc.

I do not however wish to go many thousands of dollars into debt and spend 4+ years in law school, or become an officer to do so.

For instance, IF I wanted to challenge a law I feel is injust, such as the licensure law (which I do not at this time), The only way I have heard to do it is to violate the law and gain standing, which as was mentioned could land me in the Greybar Inn for many years.

It just seems to me that so much of it is un accesable to us layman unless we are LE or have passed a bar exam, etc.

I did not know that my particular set of circumstances mentioned in this thread even existed and was allowed until after I had purchased the C&B, which I did simply because I had always wanted one, and the rising price of ammo inhibited my love of shooting.

I do know or can figure out some of those:
    OWI - Operating While Intoxicated
    PI - Public Intoxication
    PM - Public Menace?
    PP - Private Property

Is there a thread on legal terms, abreviations used (besides the short FAQ section)?

Im all for personal education and learning more! Especialy if it can save my butt some time.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The only way I have heard to do it is to violate the law and gain standing

You could get in the Way Back machine and help Kirk elect Rex Early as Gov. in 1996.:D

Kurr, I'm just pulling your leg.

PM means "Possession of Marijuana"; PP means "Possesion of Parapharnalia".

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Stick around, we'll teach you LSA, OWI, PI, PM, PP, HTV, HSO, HO...

Let's see.... Lysergic Acid Amide, Operating While Intoxicated, Pretty (damn) Intoxicated, Playboy Mansion, PayPal, High-def TV, Hydrogen Sulfidesomething, or possibly Huntsville Symphony Orchestra, Hungry Otter..

How did I do?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Using initials for something you KNOW the person you are trying to communicate with isn't going to recognise doesn't make a person look "wise" or particularly "informed".

EVOO -

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I do wish I could understand the law better, jurisprudence, court activities, legal procedings/procedures etc.

I do not however wish to go many thousands of dollars into debt and spend 4+ years in law school, or become an officer to do so.

For instance, IF I wanted to challenge a law I feel is injust, such as the licensure law (which I do not at this time), The only way I have heard to do it is to violate the law and gain standing, which as was mentioned could land me in the Greybar Inn for many years.

It just seems to me that so much of it is un accesable to us layman unless we are LE or have passed a bar exam, etc.

I did not know that my particular set of circumstances mentioned in this thread even existed and was allowed until after I had purchased the C&B, which I did simply because I had always wanted one, and the rising price of ammo inhibited my love of shooting.

I do know or can figure out some of those:
    OWI - Operating While Intoxicated
    PI - Public Intoxication
    PM - Public Menace?
    PP - Private Property

Is there a thread on legal terms, abreviations used (besides the short FAQ section)?

Im all for personal education and learning more! Especialy if it can save my butt some time.

Fortunately, you do not have to understand TOO much of the law to become an officer. Just the basics, and then you fill in the rest with your own opinion. (ie, OC is not legal in Indiana. You have to show ID with your LTCH.... ect.)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom