• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I am not protesting/making a statement. If I could afford to and wish to do that as stated I would carry what I wanted, and wait to get standing in court to challenge the law.

That is not my intent. I merely wish to exercise my Right to defend myself without being forced/coerced into something I do not agree with and having to pay for the privilage.

Mine does have "safety pegs" between cylinders, but I feel the hammer resting on an empty is safer. I would like the '58 for the ease/speed of cylinder changes.

I would prefer a .44, and if I find one I can afford, I would like one of those also.

A Ruger Old Army is another I would like to own.

I agree with kingnereli, most folks seem to be arguing the "under gunned" argument and like he said, we all make compromises.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I looked up the IC for the school question:

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

<A name=IC35-47-9-1>IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm;
    and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

So again if I read this correctly, since I am legally allowed to carry this firearm by law, it seems I should have no problems in this realm either?

Thanks for bringing this point up and inspiring me to research and ask about it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @Kurr,
    It depends on what you're asking. :)

With the bp handgun, you are basically in the same position as having a permit. The problem is, on school property, you can only have a firearm if it is in a motor vehicle while you are taking someone to or from a school function.

So, like with any LTCH-holder, you can leave the gun in your car, but you CANNOT carry it on school property on your person.

Not defending the law here, just trying to clarify the interpretation of the law.

Edit: just for emphasis, the only thing the black-powder pistol gets you is the ability to carry to the same extent someone with a LTCH can carry. No more, no less.

Well, actually, after SB292 goes into effect, it will be less. That's a whole different kettle of fish, though.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Which is what I want, thank you.

So I go to take my kids to a school playground, leave it in the truck is what your saying?

I was wondering whether the semi colon denoted 2 complete sentances or whether the emphasis was on the "and".

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    T.Lex;1897126The problem is said:
    So, like with any LTCH-holder, you can leave the gun in your car, but you CANNOT carry it on school property on your person.[/B]

I didn't think you could leave it in the car on school property.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah. That "and" is pretty important there. :)

I know lots of people that would like to see it changed to an "or" but... I don't think it'll change in the next couple years.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Well Someone on INGO sited a case where a person left a loaded gun in the car at the loading dock of a school. I will try to do a search but I don't have scutter01 skills so it may take me sometime.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, did some quick research and there is a case (Newson v. State from 2003), but it is pretty thin. Kid left the gun on the passenger seat when he went inside.

Converted file smb

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE TO ANYONE IN PARTICULAR.

The school property issue is very ambiguous and subject to further litigation. I think it is hard to know for sure how an appellate court might rule if faced with a decent argument.

But, indeed, someone did get a felony conviction for leaving their handgun on the passenger seat while going with his friend into the school.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    @Kurr,
    It depends on what you're asking. :)

With the bp handgun, you are basically in the same position as having a permit. The problem is, on school property, you can only have a firearm if it is in a motor vehicle while you are taking someone to or from a school function.

So, like with any LTCH-holder, you can leave the gun in your car, but you CANNOT carry it on school property on your person.

Not defending the law here, just trying to clarify the interpretation of the law.

Edit: just for emphasis, the only thing the black-powder pistol gets you is the ability to carry to the same extent someone with a LTCH can carry. No more, no less.

Well, actually, after SB292 goes into effect, it will be less. That's a whole different kettle of fish, though.

I don't believe you have to be 18 to carry, posses, or buy the C&B gun but you do have to be 18 to get a carry permit.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The fact that there are better weapons for self defense is to me a silly argument.

Sometimes I'm armed only with my fists or ordinary items, like on an airplane.
    Somtimes I have only a pocketknife.
    Sometimes I have my 9mm with 15 rounds.
    Sometime in the future, I'll have a less powerful pocket pistol, for convenience.
    Sometimes (usually at home) I have an AR 15.
    I have a Springfield trapdoor rifle above my computer desk that I might use in a pinch.

For a variety of reasons, I might be armed with any of these at any moment. Most people walk around without a firearm at all. This guy chose a perfectly effective weapon, similar to the revolvers people carry all the time for defense.

People have defended themselves effectively with 22s.

To say there is something more effective he could carry is something I've been told about my 9mm.

Given his reasoning, I think he's chosen quite well, and I respect his choice.

It's unlikely any of us will ever have to fire rounds in our own self defense. Some situations will be resolved just by producing the weapon. Some situations will be resolved by firing a round and missing. Some situations will be resolved by firing a round and hitting someone but not killing them. Some situations will be resolved by firing a round and killing someone.

Yes there are some situations where his choice of weapon won't work well. We're into the territory of very tiny odds.

Angels on the head of a pin.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    The fact that there are better weapons for self defense is to me a silly argument.

Sometimes I'm armed only with my fists or ordinary items, like on an airplane.
    Somtimes I have only a pocketknife.
    Sometimes I have my 9mm with 15 rounds.
    Sometime in the future, I'll have a less powerful pocket pistol, for convenience.
    Sometimes (usually at home) I have an AR 15.
    I have a Springfield trapdoor rifle above my computer desk that I might use in a pinch.

For a variety of reasons, I might be armed with any of these at any moment. Most people walk around without a firearm at all. This guy chose a perfectly effective weapon, similar to the revolvers people carry all the time for defense.

People have defended themselves effectively with 22s.

To say there is something more effective he could carry is something I've been told about my 9mm.

Given his reasoning, I think he's chosen quite well, and I respect his choice.

It's unlikely any of us will ever have to fire rounds in our own self defense. Some situations will be resolved just by producing the weapon. Some situations will be resolved by firing a round and missing. Some situations will be resolved by firing a round and hitting someone but not killing them. Some situations will be resolved by firing a round and killing someone.

Yes there are some situations where his choice of weapon won't work well. We're into the territory of very tiny odds.

Angels on the head of a pin.

+1. :yesway:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    They get pointed far more than they get fired. In well over 90% of successful defensive gun uses, no shot is fired. (depending on your source, that figure is a conservative one) .36 caliber should also work just fine if a shot is ever required.

Rep to the OP.

Top Bottom