• Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wife and I, each got the second dose of Moderna yesterday about 2 hours apart (her in the morning, me lunch time). No real side effects for either of us so far other than just a bit of mild arm pain in the shoulder where we got the shot.

Pretty similar to how we reacted to the first dose.

Wife has a serious heart condition and some other things going on. If she were to get Covid, it would probably be pretty bad and we are both having to help parents who are out of state get moved into assisted living in the very near term, etc.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I learned something valuable over the last year that is so applicable here. I got all wound up in the election debate both here and on social media. But it didn’t make one damn bit of difference. Everyone is dug in. No one is going to change anyone else’s mind, so why go to the effort? It’s simply a waste of energy that could be used in much better ways. There are people here who try to tell me something which I know is untrue, that I got the vaccine because I’m afraid of the virus. We’re all adults. We can leave each other alone. I took a carefully calculated risk. Not taking a vaccine can also be a carefully calculated risk. So if everyone would just state their reasoning without trying to change anyone else’s mind this would probably be a more pleasant place most of the time. It has gotten a bit personal in here recently. The world has gone mad enough without bringing it everywhere. I guess I’m just tired and over online debate.
    :yesway:

I think it's a problem when we go into a conversation with the focus on changing someone's mind while thinking that our own mind can't change. The person on the other side of that argument is thinking the same thing, that YOU'RE the one whose mind needs changed. Would be better if we could just have a conversation. It's just not how the internet works.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When this poll opened I was dead set against getting the vaccine until I could see what reactions people were having. Fast forward and it seems side effects are relatively rare and minor (Super Bee's brother not with withstanding).

Today they opened up appointments to people 40 and up and I made an appointment for next month.

I'm not thrilled about it, but my family is planning a birthday party for my grandmother who is turning 90 this summer. She wants her family there, so I am willing to take the vaccine to give her and other older members of my family peace of mind.

I also suspect my employer (large global company) may start to loosen travel restrictions to employees who have been vaccinated. I'm ready to get back to normal and start traveling for customer meetings, trade shows, conferences, etc. If choosing to get that that piece of paper helps me do that, I am now willing to choose to do so.
    My only problem with that is I don't want a piece of paper become a thing that enables people to participate in society. I understand the weight of things, but that's just not a precedent that we should breach. Better to leave that one in its cage. I think encouraging vaccination is a better way to go, and then as the virus burns out we'll all get back to normal...maybe after Fauci crawls back under the bridge.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My only problem with that is I don't want a piece of paper become a thing that enables people to participate in society. I understand the weight of things, but that's just not a precedent that we should breach. Better to leave that one in its cage. I think encouraging vaccination is a better way to go, and then as the virus burns out we'll all get back to normal...maybe after Fauci crawls back under the bridge.
    I just heard that piece of paper gets you free doughnuts... but there's no Krispy Kreme in Fort Wayne. :(

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Got the first dose of Pfizer Saturday. Originally scheduled for 3:40, they called around 10 and said they were ahead of schedule, and I could come in any time after 11. Got there at 11:25 and was out in about 20 minutes, including 15 minute wait time afterwards. Sore arm for a day or two starting 6 hours after the shot. At least it didn't interfere with volleyball.

I can't believe that Fort Wayne (fat city) lost our Krispy Kreme. I has a sad.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's just the all-too-willing corporate shills doing the bidding of the deep state....or whatever.
    I'll be honest, I'd do it for just one free Chipotle burrito.

Psst - I'm actually getting my first today, but let's see if I can get something from this.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

Mechanism for Action​

mRNA vaccines have strands of genetic material called mRNA inside a special coating. That coating protects the mRNA from enzymes in the body that would otherwise break it down. It also helps the mRNA enter the dendritic cells and macrophages in the lymph node near the vaccination site.

mRNA can most easily be described as instructions for the cell on how to make a piece of the “spike protein” that is unique to SARS-CoV-2. Since only part of the protein is made, it does not do any harm to the person vaccinated but it is antigenic.

After the piece of the spike protein is made, the cell breaks down the mRNA strand and disposes of them using enzymes in the cell. It is important to note that the mRNA strand never enters the cell’s nucleus or affects genetic material. This information helps counter misinformation about how mRNA vaccines alter or modify someone’s genetic makeup.

Once displayed on the cell surface, the protein or antigen causes the immune system to begin producing antibodies and activating T-cells to fight off what it thinks is an infection. These antibodies are specific to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which means the immune system is primed to protect against future infection.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There used to be a Krispy Kreme in Ft Wayne. I think it was on Coldwater road. Maybe a bit over 20 years ago.
    Good memory - I had forgotten about that - it was a block or two from my house then. It was replaced by Jimmy John's.

There was another at Jefferson Point; it became a MacAllister's Deli.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    There used to be a Krispy Kreme in Ft Wayne. I think it was on Coldwater road. Maybe a bit over 20 years ago.

Yes, there was, its a Jimmy Johns now. There was also one at Jefferson Point. Both went out several years ago when the Atkins diet was so popular.

Rise N Roll has since moved into town helping fill the donut hole. :joke:

Edit- Beat out by Jetta I see.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It'd be nice if there was something in that article about those cases... too much to ask for modern journalism.

I would expect they test positive, but have no symptoms. That'd be a good thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom