Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How do you know your resources are truly reliable and not persuaded by big money and political agendas
    I’ve had this conversation a lot with family and extended family that are on different sides of the issue. It’s like arguing global warming. Almost no one arguing about is a real ass climatologist but everyone argues as if their 15 minutes of reading through the first google hit that strikes their fancy qualifies them to claim the science is on their side.

Really, for specialized knowledge like this, the real truth isn’t within reach of most people because relatively few people are true frontline experts who have firsthand knowledge. So we have to rely on trust in whatever expert we decide to believe.

When it’s uncontroversial and not politicized it’s a lot easier to trust the experts. It’s even more instinctive to recognize those experts and trust them. But when the subject is highly politicized and people see the issue as us vs them, you instinctively pick the “experts” who you feel better meshes with your worldview. Or at least you see the one side pushing something that clashes with your worldview as untrustworthy.

It doesn’t matter how smart you are. It’s really damn hard to figure out who is telling the truth sometimes. The experts aren’t above personal biases themselves. But if you can recognize where your biases are and look at the thing objectively you might be able to figure out enough facts to mead yourself to what is the most truth you can discover, short of becoming a frontline expert with access to all the information possible. But you have to listen to information from all sides.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

AstraZeneca takes $6m hit after 'faking conferences' to bribe doctors​

I think they have a way to make that back, and then some.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    How do you know your resources are truly reliable and not persuaded by big money and political agendas? (oh, yes, that would never happen, right?) Why are the vaccines only approved as experimental?

Personally, I'd rather consider all resources ...
    Like you I consider all sources from Drs Atlas and Kory, both of whom advocate very different approaches than statists like Dr Fauci. Apparently you don’t read my posts were I defend people’s rights to not get the vaccine. Nor do you seem to read were I post about the proven effectiveness of simple Vitamin D or probable cure in the form of a cheap generic drug called Ivermectin. Reading my posts may put yourself in a position of general agreement with me, but selecting one post you may disagree with is not providing rational context.

I’m not a vaccine advocate, but neither am I a vaccine skeptic.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’ve had this conversation a lot with family and extended family that are on different sides of the issue. It’s like arguing global warming. Almost no one arguing about is a real ass climatologist but everyone argues as if their 15 minutes of reading through the first google hit that strikes their fancy qualifies them to claim the science is on their side.

Really, for specialized knowledge like this, the real truth isn’t within reach of most people because relatively few people are true frontline experts who have firsthand knowledge. So we have to rely on trust in whatever expert we decide to believe.

When it’s uncontroversial and not politicized it’s a lot easier to trust the experts. It’s even more instinctive to recognize those experts and trust them. But when the subject is highly politicized and people see the issue as us vs them, you instinctively pick the “experts” who you feel better meshes with your worldview. Or at least you see the one side pushing something that clashes with your worldview as untrustworthy.

It doesn’t matter how smart you are. It’s really damn hard to figure out who is telling the truth sometimes. The experts aren’t above personal biases themselves. But if you can recognize where your biases are and look at the thing objectively you might be able to figure out enough facts to mead yourself to what is the most truth you can discover, short of becoming a frontline expert with access to all the information possible. But you have to listen to information from all sides.
    There is truth in this post. Discerning the truth is way more than who to trust. There is a reason throughout history the old were thought of as wise and wisdom was earned, that earned wisdom informs discernment.

In the real world, who is really scared of global warming? The young. Sure, it isn't 100% of the older that get the hoax of man made global warming, but most do, and it is not measured by the BS flowing off their tongues, but rather their actions. Who do you know that genuinely is preparing as if global warming is soon to bring catastrophe? No one, the lack of action and genuine urgency likely tell the truth.

Covid is real, it actual severity has been blown out of proportion. Who genuinely afraid of covid? The young, the least affected group, evidenced by the types of actions of young parents withholding grandkids unless grandparents did what MSM said to do. They are scared. Most of those I have talked with in the 55-70 bracket that don't have a major risk factor like immune issues or cancer, only took the vaccine just to get back to normal. Not because they were concerned about the virus.

They have looked around and just have not seen the carnage levels that have been reported matching what they see with their very own eyes. If they did they would act to protect themselves. Most of the extreme protect themselves actions come from out of the at risk age ranges I have heard, those with discernment and wisdom to look at the facts on the ground and blend them with what is reported to reach logical decisions.

Negative masking and vaccine attitudes are often based on the lies those pushing them have already been caught telling, the illogical nature of mandates, combined with the politicization and power grabs, not matching the actual circumstances witnessed on the ground...

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I did not want to post anything until I knew my brother would be alright.

My younger brother works for Parkview here in Fort Wayne. Last Friday he received his second shot of Moderna. By Saturday he was have a couple minor symtems, by Sunday he was feeling a little worse and took off work. A couple days go by and he is not feeling the best, then on Wednesday he gets really bad. Throwing up, zoning out, sweats, body pain,unable to walk, ect. His wife, who is a nurse is now more than concerned and rushes him to the ER. He spends the next 24 hours in the ER while they try to get his pain under control and find out what is going on. My brother later described his pain as if every bone in his body was being crushed. They run every test under the sun and nothing. My sister-in-law ask if it is a possible reaction to the second shot, they said it is possible however they are unable to confirm it since it is so new. He has three days where he basically can not remember anything at all. While he is still very weak, he is home now and resting.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think you’re right, at least in the Midwest and maybe south. Still a lot of mask Karens out there. Sometimes I forget to bring the mask, and I’ve never had anyone tell me I have to leave. But I did get a dirty look the other day. Or Idunno. It’s hard to read a facial expression under a mask. Maybe she was admiring my physique. :):

Did she ask you if that was a banana in your pocket? :laugh: :banana:

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I did not want to post anything until I knew my brother would be alright.

My younger brother works for Parkview here in Fort Wayne. Last Friday he received his second shot of Moderna. By Saturday he was have a couple minor symtems, by Sunday he was feeling a little worse and took off work. A couple days go by and he is not feeling the best, then on Wednesday he gets really bad. Throwing up, zoning out, sweats, body pain,unable to walk, ect. His wife, who is a nurse is now more than concerned and rushes him to the ER. He spends the next 24 hours in the ER while they try to get his pain under control and find out what is going on. My brother later described his pain as if every bone in his body was being crushed. They run every test under the sun and nothing. My sister-in-law ask if it is a possible reaction to the second shot, they said it is possible however they are unable to confirm it since it is so new. He has three days where he basically can not remember anything at all. While he is still very weak, he is home now and resting.
    Glad your brother is doing better. Seems that working for the hospital would of had better answers.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Novavax- 96.4% effective against the original strain. 86.3% against the UK strain, 55.4% against the South African Strain.

However, 100% effective (or exceedingly close thereto in practice) in preventing severe disease and hospitalization as to all of these strains.

Does not use mRNA. It may or may not be circulating in me right now.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I learned something valuable over the last year that is so applicable here. I got all wound up in the election debate both here and on social media. But it didn’t make one damn bit of difference. Everyone is dug in. No one is going to change anyone else’s mind, so why go to the effort? It’s simply a waste of energy that could be used in much better ways. There are people here who try to tell me something which I know is untrue, that I got the vaccine because I’m afraid of the virus. We’re all adults. We can leave each other alone. I took a carefully calculated risk. Not taking a vaccine can also be a carefully calculated risk. So if everyone would just state their reasoning without trying to change anyone else’s mind this would probably be a more pleasant place most of the time. It has gotten a bit personal in here recently. The world has gone mad enough without bringing it everywhere. I guess I’m just tired and over online debate.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Novavax- 96.4% effective against the original strain. 86.3% against the UK strain, 55.4% against the South African Strain.

However, 100% effective (or exceedingly close thereto in practice) in preventing severe disease and hospitalization as to all of these strains.

Does not use mRNA. It may or may not be circulating in me right now.

When does the trial end so you will know whether you received the vaccine or a placebo?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    When this poll opened I was dead set against getting the vaccine until I could see what reactions people were having. Fast forward and it seems side effects are relatively rare and minor (Super Bee's brother not with withstanding).

Today they opened up appointments to people 40 and up and I made an appointment for next month.

I'm not thrilled about it, but my family is planning a birthday party for my grandmother who is turning 90 this summer. She wants her family there, so I am willing to take the vaccine to give her and other older members of my family peace of mind.

I also suspect my employer (large global company) may start to loosen travel restrictions to employees who have been vaccinated. I'm ready to get back to normal and start traveling for customer meetings, trade shows, conferences, etc. If choosing to get that that piece of paper helps me do that, I am now willing to choose to do so.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'm an RN and I refuse to take it. I've seen things that I can not definitely state were caused by the vaccine but make me highly suspicious. I'm not an anti-vaxxer but this is not a vaccine but instead a gene modifier.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm an RN and I refuse to take it. I've seen things that I can not definitely state were caused by the vaccine but make me highly suspicious. I'm not an anti-vaxxer but this is not a vaccine but instead a gene modifier.
    You say you're a RN, but you don't know that the vaccines do NOT modify your DNA/Genes. Hmmmmm...... Me thinks something is not right here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom