tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    A general comment regarding recent events:

I tend to ask "is INGO a better place with or without (insert banned username)?" when someone bites the dust here. Generally the answer is "with"; it's rare that any individual has literally nothing to offer (or has truly negative and destructive intent). In the case of the two most recent and notable bannings, I think the answer to this question is obvious, and that's a shame. INGO loses a tiny bit of its soul whenever nearly anyone is banned.

This is, of course, a much different and more difficult question than "are the INGO moderators' jobs easier with or without (insert banned username)?, or " is (insert banned username) harming the community (which could mean anything from harming other members--words can do that--to harming the site by discouraging posting, joining, or advertising here). This is why I will never have interest in moderating such a site as this. I do appreciate the difficulty and thankless nature of the position and know I don't have the makeup to volunteer to do it.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Passion can really drive people to extremes, both positive and negative.

A point to add to my post, above, is that moderators have to weigh the balance of all three questions I posed (and certainly more). A truly vindictive moderator would never last at a well-managed web site. I'm sure they don't enjoy that aspect any more than most of us enjoy INGO without friends, cyber-acquaintenances, and, occasionally even siblings.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    ...and set up their own site to somewhat duplicate this one.

Just a point of clarification: said troublemakers had set up the other site before they got banned here.
    It doesn't appear "duplicated" (even "somewhat") at all. The sub-forum layout makes it easier to find important legal stuff and the "Wiki" section is an awesome idea.
    Lesbian stuff with jetgirl? They're probably having epiphanies all over each other's inboxes.
    Did you just call me a lesbian? Should I report that as attacking another member? Or were you just trying to be funny?
    ...and suddenly a few more readers were enlightened about the SSDD hammer.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    A point to add to my post, above, is that moderators have to weigh the balance of all three questions I posed (and certainly more).

I'm glad to hear that you are taking a very balanced view of what is involved in both moderation in general and bans in particular. You could easily have taken a different track and gone off the deep end if you chose to. One additional item to keep in mind is that there are always additional discussions and communications that go on behind the scenes. As regular members, we rarely know the whole story.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I'm glad to hear that you are taking a very balanced view of what is involved in both moderation in general and bans in particular. You could easily have taken a different track and gone off the deep end if you chose to. One additional item to keep in mind is that there are always additional discussions and communications that go on behind the scenes. As regular members, we rarely know the whole story.

In this case, I do, but I'll not discuss it in further detail.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I will miss 88GT, for sure. I liked her wit and her wisdom. Bummer. Big bummer.

Sometimes it's hard to let things go when you feel like you've invested so much.

Sad, really.

I agree with you.

A lot of people don't realize that these recent events are a result of things that have been building under the surface. Sooner or later, I'll be a shooter and I accept that.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    88GT was seriously banned for being "negative"?
    This is really sad. I have been watching things unfold for a while now but have never seen anything that I would consider ban worthy. 88GT had a lot to offer in this forum, not the least of which was her being a realtor, and having great advice for people asking about flipping property or becoming landlords.
    I did not always agree with her views on issues and we went back and forth a couple times but she was always well spoken and had a great ability to express her opinion.
    Sad that is now gone because of some mod butthurt.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    It doesn't appear "duplicated" (even "somewhat") at all. The sub-forum layout makes it easier to find important legal stuff and the "Wiki" section is an awesome idea.

Did you just call me a lesbian? Should I report that as attacking another member? Or were you just trying to be funny?
    ...and suddenly a few more readers were enlightened about the SSDD hammer.

Attacking? If anything, that's a compliment :):

GT's original inbox epiphany comment was one of the more humorous things I've read here.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    This is really sad. I have been watching things unfold for a while now but have never seen anything that I would consider ban worthy. 88GT had a lot to offer in this forum, not the least of which was her being a realtor, and having great advice for people asking about flipping property or becoming landlords.
    I did not always agree with her views on issues and we went back and forth a couple times but she was always well spoken and had a great ability to express her opinion.

You must be new here

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you're talking about the "reaching out to members" to warn them aspect...
    No...no, not always.

Since it happens behind the scenes you really can't honestly say that. You might have been TOLD how things went down by the person in question, but I assure you that is not how it usually happens..

Seriously? :dunno:

Again, if we banned people every time they criticized, belittled, insulted, cussed at, etc a Mod, we'd have a couple hundred less members.

As for "but have never seen anything that I would consider ban worthy", yet, again... you do not see all that goes on behind the scenes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom