Not open for further replies.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Fun facts

Dave Mason was Bob Catterson's son in law.

Paul Harvey was Jerry Alderman's General Manager

Bob Glidden worked as a mechanic for Ed Martin

Ed Martin received No 51 Ford Thunderbolt

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fun facts

Paul Harvey was Jerry Alderson's General Manager

I remember seeing Bob G. at the Paul Harvey shop on Lafayette road back in the day.
    I lived a 5 minute or less bike ride from there.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I remember seeing Bob G. at the Paul Harvey shop on Lafayette road back in the day.
    I lived a 5 minute or less bike ride from there.

I always heard he was a real nice guy. Lives outside of Whiteland.

I worked with a fellow (now passed) that worked with Glidden in his early years at Ford. The fellow I worked with was sharp as a needle on Fords. We specialized in '66 - '68 Shelbys, '64 1/2 - '68 Mustangs, and '55 - 57 T-Birds. But worked on any Classic / Muscle car.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Fun facts

Paul Harvey was Jerry Alderman's General Manager

I grew up and live in the same neighborhood as my dad. He remembers when Bob G would do burn outs and 60ft launches on Ed Martin's lot after hours.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I always heard he was a real nice guy. Lives outside of Whiteland.

I worked with a fellow (now passed) that worked with Glidden in his early years at Ford. The fellow I worked with was sharp as a needle on Fords. We specialized in '66 - '68 Shelbys, '64 1/2 - '68 Mustangs, and '55 - 57 T-Birds. But worked on any Classic / Muscle car.

Bob has always been a good dude super nice and always had time for fans. His son Bill G is a chip off the ol'block. But both of them tend to be kind of quiet and soft spoken...and vague if you ask a performance question. Good people, highly respected

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bob has always been a good dude super nice and always had time for fans. His son Bill G is a chip off the ol'block. But both of them tend to be kind of quiet and soft spoken...and vague if you ask a performance question. Good people, highly respected

They worked very long and hard to gain the edge in performance that they had. Hard to share that on a whim.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well I finally got brave and fired the 390 for the first time yesterday. My first impression was that we had the wrong starter/flexplate combination as it was extremely loud. After checking into it we'll have to pull the tranny and put a different flexplate in it :xmad::noway:. My second impression was that it sounded way *****in' thru the open headers. For about 40 seconds. Then abruptly quit. No luck restarting it and suspected spark issues so this morning pulled the cap to start troubleshooting the used HEI and realized that the rotor turned quite freely on its own.

Damn.

Pulled the distributor and the shear pin was non-existent in the gear. So pull the tranny, find a new shear pin and we'll give it a go again later in the week.:crying:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I finally got brave and fired the 390 for the first time yesterday. My first impression was that we had the wrong starter/flexplate combination as it was extremely loud. After checking into it we'll have to pull the tranny and put a different flexplate in it :xmad::noway:. My second impression was that it sounded way *****in' thru the open headers. For about 40 seconds. Then abruptly quit. No luck restarting it and suspected spark issues so this morning pulled the cap to start troubleshooting the used HEI and realized that the rotor turned quite freely on its own.

Damn.

Pulled the distributor and the shear pin was non-existent in the gear. So pull the tranny, find a new shear pin and we'll give it a go again later in the week.:crying:

Yowza.

What sheared the pin. Is the drive gear in good nic.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Damn.

What car is this in again?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Damn.

Not to pour salt in an open wound but, I always recommend drilling the gear/shaft and adding a second shear pin. I have seen more than a couple broken

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yowza.

What sheared the pin. Is the drive gear in good nic.

The gear looks good, in talking about it and explaining the inner workings to the GF she said she noticed the gear loose on the shaft before I installed it. I guess I should start having her do the assembly work in the future. It was a used distributor, part of a package deal. You know how those can sometimes work out!

What car is this in again?

63 Galaxie 500 hardtop

Not to pour salt in an open wound but, I always recommend drilling the gear/shaft and adding a second shear pin. I have seen more than a couple broken

No salt necessary, I'd never thought of that before. I'm going to spin the pump to make sure it isn't bound up (although it's all new) but will add a second pin, thanks for the good idea!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The gear looks good, in talking about it and explaining the inner workings to the GF she said she noticed the gear loose on the shaft before I installed it. I guess I should start having her do the assembly work in the future. It was a used distributor, part of a package deal. You know how those can sometimes work out!

63 Galaxie 500 hardtop

No salt necessary, I'd never thought of that before. I'm going to spin the pump to make sure it isn't bound up (although it's all new) but will add a second pin, thanks for the good idea!

Yes I do know that one.
    It is hard for me to not tear into things I get used anymore as people tend to stretch the truth to gain some money.
    Or they had no idea to begin with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom