• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My dad did one bike for me when I was 7. It was an old Schwinn 20" that he put back in the original Schwinn red with white stripes.
    That was the 1st bike I stripped to bare bones. Put a front sprocket from a Schwinn 24" in it and made a chain work. That was a treat.
    Put a banana seat and stingray apes on it. Painted it rattle can black.
    It was top end fast as hell with that big front sprocket. It started a fad. I made a killing.

Then there was a lot of old english 3 speed hub hand brake bikes laying around. People would give you hat stuff back then to get rid of it.
    Made a truing stand and spoked the 3 speed hubs into the 20" rear wheels on our homemade stingrays with the big front sprockets.
    The fun part was making the hand brakes mount and work on the 20's. Neighbor had a welder.....and a sprint car.....and skills.......and material......and he thought we were nuts.....and he was correct.
    :rockwoot: Sounds like my childhood, minus the making a killin....

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That sure looks a lot like the Monte Carlo SS I bought new in '84. Bad car, three transmissions under warranty, low HP 305. By 1985 it had a 350 with 1.94 heads, an Isky cam, and and Carter AFB, twisting the front of a turbo 350 with B&M parts. It became a lot better car.

Except for badging and cosmetics it is exactly the same car.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That sure looks a lot like the Monte Carlo SS I bought new in '84. Bad car, three transmissions under warranty, low HP 305 with valve guide smoking by 10,000 miles. By 1985 it had a 350 with 1.94 heads, an Isky cam, and and Carter AFB, twisting the front of a turbo 350 with B&M parts. It became a lot better car.
    This was a one year only deal. Something like 1300 were made. Don't see them very often. I certainly wouldn't keep one stock... Deserves much more with such a cool body.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So if you had your pick, what would you choose as an ultimate road trip vehicle?

kenworthw900.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK....more progress today.

Front cover on. Torque pulled across the bottom. Need oil pump pick up.

Just a preview. Set the pan on to cover the internals.

The owner dropped the March serpintine system off just a bit ago.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That sure looks a lot like the Monte Carlo SS I bought new in '84. Bad car, three transmissions under warranty, low HP 305 with valve guide smoking by 10,000 miles. By 1985 it had a 350 with 1.94 heads, an Isky cam, and and Carter AFB, twisting the front of a turbo 350 with B&M parts. It became a lot better car.

This is the 85 SS we bought new. At 105K we did the resto and drive train upgrades. 355 with open chamber heads upgraded to 2.02 intakes, Comp cam gear driven, stealth intake, 750 vac secondary tuned to the engine, hookers, MSD and 6AL, 2500 stall in front of an R-700 with all the good internals, 4.10s on an Auburn. We got done in time to give it to my son on his 16th B-day. It was a petty serious street car.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom