Not open for further replies.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Zen for me is best achieved mountain biking or tree climbing. Focus comes when a moments inattention will result in pain and often damage.

Real Zen comes when I hit a tree at speed or come off the bike and head meets ground with force...it's in those moments laying on the ground with stars swirling above, before the pain sets in and before the self check for the severity of damage. All is good even then if no bones are sticking out and the bleeding is easily stoppable.:laugh:

Similar to tough-love, this must be tough-Zen ! ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Zen for me is best achieved mountain biking or tree climbing. Focus comes when a moments inattention will result in pain and often damage.

Real Zen comes when I hit a tree at speed or come off the bike and head meets ground with force...it's in those moments laying on the ground with stars swirling above, before the pain sets in and before the self check for the severity of damage. All is good even then if no bones are sticking out and the bleeding is easily stoppable.:laugh:

Sends me back to a more aggressive search for peace and separation.....On the seat of a Yamaha 360 swing arm outboard shocks dirt bike. Ripping through the woods. Bouncing off of trees and rocks and landing upside down in creeks. Yeah it was very zen.
    Then the 250 Elsinore Honda. Yeah it was faster and more nimble than that tank 360 and really proved that I was so much faster than I was good.....:):

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I am low on belts to replace on them and went on at Brownells tonight. They are on back order for most of the grits. Dangit...

I found some of them on Amazon in sets of multiple grits. I didn't look far enough to see if they were available in single grit packs.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Sends me back to a more aggressive search for peace and separation.....On the seat of a Yamaha 360 swing arm outboard shocks dirt bike. Ripping through the woods. Bouncing off of trees and rocks and landing upside down in creeks. Yeah it was very zen.
    Then the 250 Elsinore Honda. Yeah it was faster and more nimble than that tank 360 and really proved that I was so much faster than I was good.....:):

I read this and thought oh sounds like my youth. Riding dirt bikes is what lead me to street bikes. The dirt bikes were killing me but dang they were fun.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    The dirt bikes are still killing me. Ask my Chiropractor.

I am blessed that I don't have that many problems based on all the crazy stuff I have done to my body over the years. I'm pretty sure that if I had kept riding street bikes I would have died and not because of something I did but because of the stupidity of the people in the cars. Had more than one close call and finally just stopped riding. Man I still miss it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am blessed that I don't have that many problems based on all the crazy stuff I have done to my body over the years. I'm pretty sure that if I had kept riding street bikes I would have died and not because of something I did but because of the stupidity of the people in the cars. Had more than one close call and finally just stopped riding. Man I still miss it.

CKW had her own Harley and I had mine and 2 others off and on. We decided it was time to pack it in. More than 1 reason but distracted ass hats was a major one.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Speaking to my heart right there brother. My deepest happiness comes from doing physical labor with my hands. I don’t know how I ended up sitting at a damn computer all day long, but it is making my body feel old and useless this year.

You could not have described my mindset more accurately. There is not a day that goes by were I don’t wonder how I went from doing sheet metal repair on aircraft with dreams of working for the Smithsonian to working for an insurance company doing mindless staff work

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For me, I find zen on the firing line. Whether looking through a scope or riding the recoil on a 1911, I am truly at peace when pulling the trigger. The last time I was shooting, I had one of those ‘Use the Force, Luke’ kind of moments where I just relaxed, focused on the target and ignored the sights. I did some of the best shooting I’ve done in those last 4 strings.

In normal times, I’d take extra ammo and would continue shooting past my planned amount when I had days like that but sadly that’s not where we are today.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Soooo many jobs center around a screen today.

It’s only going to get worse. Even my oldest son that’s working on flying as a career is screen focused. The glass cockpits in even some of the smallest aircraft put a pilots focus in part on managing the information stream.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I woke up with a headache while realizing that I forgot to put the trash out at 4:30. Headache’s gone and trash it out but I’m up so I figure I’ll surf INGO for a bit

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I woke up with a headache while realizing that I forgot to put the trash out at 4:30. Headache’s gone and trash it out but I’m up so I figure I’ll surf INGO for a bit

I forgot the recycling yesterday. We only have every other week pick up and it was already overflowing. Going to be making a trip to the drop off center. Sigh

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I forgot the recycling yesterday. We only have every other week pick up and it was already overflowing. Going to be making a trip to the drop off center. Sigh

That’s exactly why I hauled my butt out of bed before 5am today. We cant go 2 more weeks for the recycle bin

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning 88 and Bandit

Went to bed at 630 last night out of boredom. Woke up at 930. Stayed up late and watched The Outpost with Scott Eastwood. It was a really good movie that I'd recommend.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom