• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hit the range today and tried out some .357 ammo in the M340PD.

4 rounds Remington Golden Saber Full Size Handgun 125 grain BJHP were not too bad.

Then I shot 5 rounds of Cavalry (now out of business) 158 Grain JHP Short Barrel Revolver rounds rated at 1050 FPS and they were not bad either.

I then loaded 5 rounds of Federal American Eagle 158 grain JSP and fired one shot. Whew! That was it. I did not fire the other 4 rounds of that stuff and it hurt my knuckle, no blood, but there is lingering pain.

I have some targets and will get them photographed and posted later.

Two observations on the M340PD:

1. The red insert on the front sight was very difficult to see. I was not hitting center of target, but that may be partly due to the sights. I ran a couple targets with the 442 for comparison.

2. Every time (except maybe not the 125 grain) I shot the .357s they would not eject properly, but two cases would hang up, not under the ejector star but against it as if the cases were expanded. Maybe some oil will help. Will be more trips to the range.

Last edited:

EODFXSTI

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Hit the range today and tried out some .357 ammo in the M340PD.

4 rounds Remington Golden Saber Full Size Handgun 125 grain BJHP were not too bad.

Then I shot 5 rounds of Cavalry (now out of business) 158 Grain JHP Short Barrel Revolver rounds rated at 1050 FPS and they were not bad either.

I then loaded 5 rounds of Federal American Eagle 158 grain JSP and fired one shot. Whew! That was it. I did not fire the other 4 rounds of that stuff and it hurt my knuckle, no blood, but there is lingering pain.

I have some targets and will get them photographed and posted later.

Two observations on the M340PD:

1. The red insert on the front sight was very difficult to see. I was not hitting center of target, but that may be partly due to the sights. I ran a couple targets with the 442 for comparison.

2. Every time (except maybe not the 125 grain) I shot the .357s they would not eject properly, but two cases would hang up, not under the ejector star but against it as if the cases were expanded. Maybe some oil will help. Will be more trips to the range.
    Glad you tried them. Would you say that the .357 will be your carry round? Also, silly question, do rounds eject normal without firing them? Once ejected, can you put the expended rounds back in and eject them? Any chance there is any crud built up under the ejector or on it?

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I remember shooting a Ruger LCR .357 for the first time when they first came out with full power magnums. I couldn't get past 25 rounds. Just knowing it's going to hurt makes you flinch while pulling the trigger. I had to switch to .38's after that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember shooting a Ruger LCR .357 for the first time when they first came out with full power magnums. I couldn't get past 25 rounds. Just knowing it's going to hurt makes you flinch while pulling the trigger. I had to switch to .38's after that.
    Not a J-frame, but K-frame size, I have a Manurhin MR73.

1727907298563.jpeg

"The factory proof-fires each cylinder chamber with .357 Magnum ammunition which generates 30% more pressure than the C.I.P. maximum allowable pressure for the Magnum cartridge. The factory guarantees that the cylinder will not burst or show any bulging or deformation with .357 Magnum ammunition developing double the C.I.P. 300.00 MPa (43,511 psi) Pmax piezo pressure, meaning the cylinder can withstand 600.00 MPa (87,023 psi), or 43.5 tons per square inch)."

In a classic case of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should", I loaded up some "hot" 357 rounds for it, near the top of the recommended pressures according to Hodgdon data. Ouch. Just... ouch.

Top Bottom