• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Like LE said, get the powder and puff it in there good. Sprays aren't very effective as they don't get down in the nest well.

If you want to be totally environmentally unfriendly, a quart or two of used motor oil poured down the hole at night will do the job as well.

Out in the country at my Dad's place, we wait till night and pour a pint or 1/2 pint of gasoline in the hole and stuff it with a rag. You don't light it - the fumes permeate the nest and kill everything. It eventually evaporates, so I don't think it hurts the environment much, as far as leaching into the soil goes.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Out in the country at my Dad's place, we wait till night and pour a pint or 1/2 pint of gasoline in the hole and stuff it with a rag. You don't light it - the fumes permeate the nest and kill everything. It eventually evaporates, so I don't think it hurts the environment much, as far as leaching into the soil goes.

Thought about this or a couple of other ways, but the nest us in a flower bed in the mulch right up against the exterior garage wall.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Back at the house after a busy day finally. A adult beverage and chilln on the deck.

I've had a few yellow jacket nest holes I've dealt with. First 2 I put gas down the holes and lit it, waited a few and kicked a rock in it to block the hole and seemed to work as I didn't see them around the holes anymore. The last one was close to the house so used a qt of oil and sevin and kicked a rock it the hole too and seemed to work as they were gone the next morning.

Forgot to mention that I did my attacks after sundown. Didnt have the nugs to do it in the day light.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Out in the forest I watch where I walk and take note of nest locations. When I come back I take some semi rotted fruit with me and toss it next to the hole. When a skunk or raccoon smells the fruit and eats it they finish off the yellow jackets. You come back the next day and there's a hole about the size of a basketball, bits of nest, and a few dazed yellow jackets.

Seed ticks have been fierce this year limiting my woods trips.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    Out in the forest I watch where I walk and take note of nest locations. When I come back I take some semi rotted fruit with me and toss it next to the hole. When a skunk or raccoon smells the fruit and eats it they finish off the yellow jackets. You come back the next day and there's a hole about the size of a basketball, bits of nest, and a few dazed yellow jackets.

Seed ticks have been fierce this year limiting my woods trips.
    Those little bastards took the fun out of spending time in the woods.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It’s been a busy day. I started by skipping breakfast with close friends only to realize later that given timelines, I should have been fine to go to breakfast today. Grocery shopping, then a trip to pick up some additional trim needed for the kitchen project. After that, I went with my youngest to look at a car with him. We came home and discussed what we saw over a batch of margaritas. Then we followed with gin and tonics. Neither of us is in a condition to drive, so he headed south with my oldest son to celebrate something or another.

Overall, it was a good day spent with a son trying to help him decide whether or not to trade his car. Car shopping is what I enjoy with my youngest. My eldest son and I share aviation stuff. With the youngest, it’s cars.

It gets no better than spending a day with one of your kids like this. Now, I need a nap though.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Actually got up and got moving this morning to beat the heat. Picked up an Ego battery powered hedge trimmer last night and put it to work a bit. Got out there shortly after 9 to try and not be too obnoxious to my neighbors.

Never had a powered hedge trimmer before. That was definitely nice compared to the manual trimmer. Hedges had a bit of water on them, but hit the trimmer with the blower after and then some silicone spray on the blades. Hopefully that will keep them in good shape.

After all the recent talk of ground nests of yellow jackets and never having run into one myself, I finally found one. Luckily I saw it before they got too pissed off. Hit it with some spray and then came back to that area last. Don't think the spray did much more than a warning shot, but think it made them keep to a cease fire as long as I didn't disturb them directly.

It's already pretty hot out there.
    Seven dust around and in the yellow jacket hole at night. Kills the little burgers by the next morning. They crawl thru that crap and get it all over themselves.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Breaks my heart to see him half to do this.
    Yeah it does not please me either.
    with the word I have gotten it needs to be done before CKW is burden with it.
    and if God sees fit to give me a 2nd mulligan and I do come out the back side I know where some serious hardwood to go shoot with my friends

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I was going to try to see the Mouse today, but my honey-do list was long. I got most of it finished today. Some of it requires things I have to pick up. I seem to be out of chainsaw oil, for my new Ego chainsaw on a stick. So a run to Menards is in my future. I also didn't get to the bank till late today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was going to try to see the Mouse today, but my honey-do list was long. I got most of it finished today. Some of it requires things I have to pick up. I seem to be out of chainsaw oil, for my new Ego chainsaw on a stick. So a run to Menards is in my future. I also didn't get to the bank till late today.
    Look forward to seeing you tomorrow if that works out for you.
    my day was a whirlwind of visits and just small things I was trying to accomplish. I pushed way to hard. Payed the price.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Yeah it does not please me either.
    with the word I have gotten it needs to be done before CKW is burden with it.
    and if God sees fit to give me a 2nd mulligan and I do come out the back side I know where some serious hardwood to go shoot with my friends
    I'll keep the range mowed. You keep constipating on getting better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom