Not open for further replies.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    2 of them are show quality. The 2 57's need restored. I'll have to have it done on the one I keep unless it's going to be stupid expensive. In that case I'll sell them both

1. Interesting reading!
    2. In my 30s when I had 6 antique cars at once (not my smartest move, but a very fun time in my life fulfilling a dream).
    3. One of my regrets was that I had a chance to buy a 57 Chevy that seemed straight ($3000: alot of money for me at the time and about half of the money I had for this venture of antique cars), but the temp gauge read high when driving it, and he said it was just b/c of a different manifold he had used???? (if I remember correctly), but, not being a mechanic, I was suspicious and ran: it could have been benign and an easy fix, but since he didn't fix it a red flag came up in my mind.
    4. The 57 was my "dream" car, but it never happened for me.
    5. Really wanted to buy one at auction here in Indy from an old man who it had been his "fun" car for decades: great profile and would have been the "driver" level that I always sought, but my money was gone at that time.
    6. Nice problem to have, I think! Enjoy. Be prepared to spend money unless you are smart enough to pare down and limit/reduce the number of cars you are going to keep, and by implication: pour money into.
    7. From my experience: pick 1, but I understand if you want to keep more, so did I, but it ended up being costing me dearly.
    8. Out of 6 cars: 2 made a little money, 2 I broke even and 2 I lost ($5000: a very big loss at the time), but it was a fun 2 year run.
    9. My best friend tried to tell me to pick 1 $10k car instead of 6 $2000+/- cars. Lesson learned. (He sold a 57 Thunderbird for $50k at the Auburn auction, and lost $14k, and had a bevy of Hudsons between him and his Dad.)
    10. There was one $5000 - $6000 Packard I could have bought for 3 yrs. running at the Marion County Antique Show and Swap meet that was perfect, but money was gone: lesson learned again.
    11. Keep us informed!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all...:coffee:

Had a rough one last night. I made tacos around 6:00 and decided to have a beer with them, because hey, beer and tacos go together. You would think I was hit with a tranquilizer or something by about 7:00. Couldn't keep my eyes open and was falling asleep in my chair, so I laid down and was out cold until the wife got home from work at 9:30. Of course, then I couldn't get to sleep until midnight and just got up at 5:45 :(

Finally, after a not-so-patient wait, the ECO has landed! I haven't had a lot of time to handle it yet, just got back from the FFL a few minutes ago and snapped a quick pic. From what I can tell so far, everything about this is exceptionally well done.

WoaRggE.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Very sweet sir!

Just signed up for Prime membership at Target Sports USA.
    Placed an order for some of the Fed Alum case 9mm that WTB says he's been having good luck with.
    And some Fed 147gr HST's.

I've found the membership to be very worthwhile. I show a savings of $118 so far 8 months into my membership. I'm sure I'll be up to at least ~$150 saved by the time my year is up, perhaps more. I liked buying from them even before the membership and now it's a no-brainer. I have another case of that aluminum cased ammo coming today. My son will be here for a week starting next Friday, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of ammo on hand ;)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning all...:coffee:

Had a rough one last night. I made tacos around 6:00 and decided to have a beer with them, because hey, beer and tacos go together. You would think I was hit with a tranquilizer or something by about 7:00. Couldn't keep my eyes open and was falling asleep in my chair, so I laid down and was out cold until the wife got home from work at 9:30. Of course, then I couldn't get to sleep until midnight and just got up at 5:45 :(

Very sweet sir!

I've found the membership to be very worthwhile. I show a savings of $118 so far 8 months into my membership. I'm sure I'll be up to at least ~$150 saved by the time my year is up, perhaps more. I liked buying from them even before the membership and now it's a no-brainer. I have another case of that aluminum cased ammo coming today. My son will be here for a week starting next Friday, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of ammo on hand ;)
    Morning WT, sorry to hear about the sleep issues.

I got to bed later than I wanted and admittedly drank more beer than I should have (not drunk, just messes with my stomach the next day). Since I made the trip to the LGS last night, it set me back a little on getting housework done. I did hang some trim up, but tonight I need to roll paint.

I've had several people recommend the Prime membership before. I have always checked them for pricing/availability and they've always stocked what I was looking for. I may have ordered some in the past? I really like that they stock the 50rd boxes of Federal HST's in all flavors at a competitive price.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning WT, sorry to hear about the sleep issues.

I got to bed later than I wanted and admittedly drank more beer than I should have (not drunk, just messes with my stomach the next day). Since I made the trip to the LGS last night, it set me back a little on getting housework done. I did hang some trim up, but tonight I need to roll paint.

I've had several people recommend the Prime membership before. I have always checked them for pricing/availability and they've always stocked what I was looking for. I may have ordered some in the past? I really like that they stock the 50rd boxes of Federal HST's in all flavors at a competitive price.

Luckily it's not every day beer will affect me so badly, but yesterday was a day I read all day. I read boring technical stuff for my job and when I got off I was reading a book I'm enjoying at the moment. By the time I had my dinner, I had been reading for about 12 hours straight. Adding a beer on top of that was not my best idea... :):

Yeah, that's one thing I enjoy about TargetSports as well. Plus, with the membership, I can buy a box or two without paying a hefty shipping fee. Makes the HD ammo much more affordable :yesway:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    WTB - man you've had a time of it, this hasn't been your week! Glad the Mrs is alright, but it sounds like the tacos + beer won last night's match. Ugh!

TT - wow, would I love to see pics of your whips, especially the '57 2-door. I've always thought the '55 - '57 had some of the most timeless and handsome lines of just about anything GM ever put out, and represents such a nostalgic, optimistic time in our country after WWII.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    WTB - man you've had a time of it, this hasn't been your week! Glad the Mrs is alright, but it sounds like the tacos + beer won last night's match. Ugh!

Yep, I'm feeling pretty wrung out at the moment. If I wasn't working, I could easily go back to bed for a couple of hours, but I'm going to have to figure out how to stay awake. Oh what fun.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    T-Dogg & wtb - just a heads up, Targets Sports is in process of either changing or moving warehouses. Shipping may be delayed longer than normal. My order was processed on the 21st and I got my shipping notice last night. The very nice lady I’ve spoken with multiple times about this assures me it’s an isolated incident and it’s a timing result of when my order was processed and the timing of their warehouse changes. Just wanted to give a heads up that there is a possibility the order will be slower than expected.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    T-Dogg & wtb - just a heads up, Targets Sports is in process of either changing or moving warehouses. Shipping may be delayed longer than normal. My order was processed on the 21st and I got my shipping notice last night. The very nice lady I’ve spoken with multiple times about this assures me it’s an isolated incident and it’s a timing result of when my order was processed and the timing of their warehouse changes. Just wanted to give a heads up that there is a possibility the order will be slower than expected.

I did notice that shipping has taken longer ever since I joined the Prime Ammo membership. I've read they are victims of their own success and it's good to hear they're taking steps to resolve the issues.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Took my son to Penn Station last night on 116th St. When we came out there was a vehicle parked near us that had a sizable CZ bumper sticker on it. Who did we almost run into (not vehicle-on-vehicle, to be clear)?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I need someone who knows something about old cars to help me sell one or two. 57 chevys. 2door and 4 door Belair. I'm gonna have to pay to store these somewhere if I dont sell them. I can keep one. I know nothing about cars or value or maintenance.
    I'm keeping 2 others. I'll pay to store those. But I should probably have them looked at. Any recommendations of shops or mechanics for old muscle cars?

CM will steer you straight on these.

I will add that in years past (pre 2012), we had very good luck selling cars in the Car Corral at the Auburn auction. Seldom brought one home.

My stuff was never six figure nice so I stayed away from the auction.

Oh and....

:postpics:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Took my son to Penn Station last night on 116th St. When we came out there was a vehicle parked near us that had a sizable CZ bumper sticker on it. Who did we almost run into (not vehicle-on-vehicle, to be clear)?

It wasn't me, but if that was the one near the Kroger, I was there for lunch yesterday. I do not have any stickers on my SUV though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom