T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Good afternoon all.

Triggers. Carry what you're comfortable and practice with. My personal preference is a pull weight of 5-7 lbs, short and smooth takeup with a clean break and a short reset. I prefer striker fired, but I can run a hammer fired just fine. I usually prefer a stock trigger, but if the stock trigger sucks and there are upgrades available that will get me the trigger I like, then I'm cool with that too.

I'm thinking I'll be heading down the path of putting together an RMR equipped 9mm striker fired carry gun. I don't know what platform I'm using yet, probably something I already have though, so FN or S&W, unless I run across a deal on a P10 (especially threaded with suppressor sights).

I really don't want to add another caliber and feel content with my rifles, a Pistol Caliber Carbine is tempting, but I probably won't go that route.

I'm off to a wedding the rest of the evening. If you see me on here later, that will tell you how the wedding and reception are going. :cool:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The P07 and P09 are awesome shooters, very accurate. No surprise, I don't recall shooting a CZ that wasn't accurate.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    As you know, I am a big advocate of multiple guns, same trigger. Most people like to diversify and have different platforms, I get that. For me, this just doesn't work. If you have the same, or as nearly as you can make it, trigger pull then whatever gun you happen to have you will be intimately familiar with the trigger and less likely, IMO, to have that adrenaline jerk. I could just be fooling myself but I truly believe that. Secondly, concerning the gung ho prosecutor, I want to still be in the conversation at that point. We're talking life and death at this point and I think my odds increase by a great deal if I am using a trigger that I have trained with extensively. If all my guns have the same trigger, within a few ounces, I think I stand my best chance of winning and still being around for said prosecutor to try to work over. Although I wouldn't enjoy that I think it is much better than the alternative.
    In the end it is each person's choice and mine is for consistency. I don't have many guns left but even when that number was approaching two dozen I still felt the same way. Make all the triggers as close to the same as you can, practice religiously with said triggers, and you put yourself in the best possible position to come out alive. I realize I stand alone in this belief but I'm okay with that. I've put a lot of thought into it and I believe this is the best solution for me. It doesn't matter if you have a 2 1/2 pound SA trigger if all of your guns have that same trigger. It's beyond being comfortable it will be absolutely normal and I think you will react accordingly. The goal of muscle memory is, IMO, trying to keep the brain from interfering with the process. The brain must decide when it is time to use deadly force. After that you want muscle memory and those hours and hours of practice to be in charge. Again this is just my opinion but it doesn't matter if you have a 2 pound trigger or a 6 pound trigger if that is your normal and you practice with it all the time. The danger is in going back and forth and wherever else your various trigger pulls take you.

I agree. I've been a gun owner for about 9 years. In that timeframe I've carried the rainbow. Ive been on a glock kick for about 5 or 6 years. I was on a 1911 kick for about 2. (Wtburnette I think this will answer the real question where I fall with 1911's) I've fired probably 10-1 rounds through glocks than I have any other type of gun. All my glocks are pretty much alike except sights. Even then theyre really close (ameriglo vs trijicon) Some have an extended slide release but I use the slingshot method so they don't matter. For awhile I was using ghost/zev spring and connector sets. I started to see some reliability issues in other guns with the striker spring. I did have an issue with a ghost kit. So I took my stock glock out and shot it vs the zev kit and I did just as good with factory. I went home and put every gun back to stock minus sights.

CM- my failure was with a glock 20. I was going to sell the gun. It sat in my car overnight in winter. When he went to dry fire it nothing. NHT3 does amazing trigger work with a glock that I know will work. So I'm not saying don't ever touch a trigger. I like to keep them stock that way its easy for me to keep them all the same and I'm positive I won't be compromising reliability.

In the past 5 or 6 years I've slowly sold my HKs and 1911s. For about 2 years I've owned glock only. Memorial Day weekend my wife volunteered me to take a new shooter shooting. His wife wanted him to try different handguns. My response was I got glocks. If you want to shoot them I got them but I don't have anything else. I was happy with that. Still am. I haven't carried a non glock in so long.

Having worked in gun stores (not anymore). I've seen a lot of failures and got to shoot a lot of different guns. Since I don't work in gun stores and have no desire too in the last year every month or so I'll rent a new gun or Ill run into someone with something I haven't shot and shoot it that way. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine bought a EAA CZ clone. I shot a 10mm one years ago. I fell in love with my buddies CZ clone. I drove straight from the range to Beech Grove and bought a sp-01 phantom. For fathers day I got a m&p 2.0 compact. I may or may not have a CZ p-10c sitting in my gun safe right now. I may never carry a CZ or the m&p. But the p10c, m&p and glock I took to the range my grouping was great with all 3. The glock did the best. After I get a little training in with m&p and p10 I may carry them every now and then but I'll likely stick to glocks.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Hi folks!

The modified trigger debate is much better here than it is over on GT. Here, it's a generally civil discussion but on GT, there are some that will quickly call you an idiot if you dare mess with Gaston's design. As if each manufacturer spent months designing the perfect trigger. In my opinion, there are probably more lawyers involved in trigger design on a Gl*** than there are engineers. IMHO, steps to improve a trigger that result in a better shooter are a plus as long as they are kept safe.

Got to shoot the new Phantom again this morning. It's really going to pain me to put that one up for a while. I shot it next to my P10C and liked the feel better. Now, it could be 'new gun infatuation' happening, but it sure felt good. It makes me want to get my Cajunized P07 back off of my son for a while. The ambi-controls would be a plus right now too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hi folks!

The modified trigger debate is much better here than it is over on GT. Here, it's a generally civil discussion but on GT, there are some that will quickly call you an idiot if you dare mess with Gaston's design. As if each manufacturer spent months designing the perfect trigger. In my opinion, there are probably more lawyers involved in trigger design on a Gl*** than there are engineers. IMHO, steps to improve a trigger that result in a better shooter are a plus as long as they are kept safe.

Got to shoot the new Phantom again this morning. It's really going to pain me to put that one up for a while. I shot it next to my P10C and liked the feel better. Now, it could be 'new gun infatuation' happening, but it sure felt good. It makes me want to get my Cajunized P07 back off of my son for a while. The ambi-controls would be a plus right now too.

No it is because there is a "HAMMER" on it and not a clunky striker. Admit it man.......you know I am right.....:laugh:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The son and I ran about ten mags through the Phantom and the Tactical today. He then ran a mag through his Glock 19 and couldn't hit ****.

If you're going to try to convince somebody that good triggers make a difference, it's easier to let them convince themselves.
    The CZickness spreads.......

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The son and I ran about ten mags through the Phantom and the Tactical today. He then ran a mag through his Glock 19 and couldn't hit ****.

If you're going to try to convince somebody that good triggers make a difference, it's easier to let them convince themselves.
    The CZickness spreads.......

It's good to have CZ'ickness spreading through your family ! ....... a welcome disease, it is ! ;)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    No it is because there is a "HAMMER" on it and not a clunky striker. Admit it man.......you know I am right.....:laugh:

This has a "HAMMER", and shoots the mighty .45 ! Am I going in the right direction, sensei ? :D

i-CChTJKT-XL.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Completely staged Photo! What are you, a professional picture taker?

I've been involved with photography for as long as I have firearms ..... around 50 years. :)
    And yes, for a while I made a living with a combination of photography (weddings, portraiture, etc.) and camera repair. Even took the cover shot for a national magazine .... a long time ago.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Man MM, I get more jealous of you every time you post a pic of that gun... :xmad:

:drool:

Soon ..... you will get to fondle and shoot it ! Yes, we should plan a trip to Point Blank ... preferably during a weekday, when they'r not crowded. I find that if I get there around 3 PM, I almost have the place to myself.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Soon ..... you will get to fondle and shoot it ! Yes, we should plan a trip to Point Blank ... preferably during a weekday, when they'r not crowded. I find that if I get there around 3 PM, I almost have the place to myself.

I work from home on Mondays and Wednesdays. As long as I don't have any meetings scheduled, I can meet you there any time you'd like at 3pm as long as it's one of those days. I'm also off this coming Friday the entire day, so that would work as well. I'll bring a couple of my guns and a couple hundred rounds of .45 to shoot ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom