• ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    You know, I have learned a lot on this thread. Read it from first to last. I have always left my gun at home or lacked in the car and hidden if I was going into a hospital. I am thinking now that I will keep it with me, just carefully concealed. BTW--I left it home because I was concerned that in a hospital the security might be a little tighter than at other places and I didn't want a confrontation. But I am re-thinking that now. If I have a right then I am going to enjoy it! I'll just be careful. Thanks for sharing this story, Titanium. And I also want to know how your boy is doing.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I've wondered this in Titanium's carry adventure as well as the other accounts I read on this forum of people going nuts when they see guys carry. I don't know- seems like the antis are either extremely brave...or extremely stupid. It seems like inwardly they know it's OK, but outwardly they just can't get over the "knee-jerk-sheep-response-mechanism" (K.J.S.R.M:)

And, Titanium, since I've followed this thread, I've just got to ask- how's the boy? Is he out of the hospital now?
    He's doing pretty good for being so early, the little guy just has to get older and grow out of his breathing problems. Thanks for asking
    :)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You know, I have learned a lot on this thread. Read it from first to last. I have always left my gun at home or lacked in the car and hidden if I was going into a hospital. I am thinking now that I will keep it with me, just carefully concealed. BTW--I left it home because I was concerned that in a hospital the security might be a little tighter than at other places and I didn't want a confrontation. But I am re-thinking that now. If I have a right then I am going to enjoy it! I'll just be careful. Thanks for sharing this story, Titanium. And I also want to know how your boy is doing.

Hey no problem! This is the real reason I wanted to post this, so everyone could learn from this experience, myself especially. I want to thank those that have given great advice and those that voiced their concerns (intelligently) that is what this part of the forum is about IMO, helping learning and above all making Indiana a better place to live than it already is. :rockwoot:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Now on to the HIPPA bus that everyone loves to jump on and calling the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and How for sueing......The keyword to keep in mind is UNAUTHORIZED rekease if medical information. If I am staff at hospital and I am calling police for a preceived problem and I provide required information for the incident, that is NOT an unauthorized release. We have seen this many times......People love the hippa bandwagon and it is a serious issue but just remember: It's the unauthorized release to unauthorized personnel that causes problems. Giving some info to a police officer/department may not (not always) be a violation.

I will state that my personal opinion is that if you have a ltch you are good to go and there should not be an issue. UInfortunately I don't get to make the rules.[/QUOTE]

Hence the capped and quoted "May". And I HAVE seen the results of Hipaa violations and you better be careful, it's amazing what they fire people over.

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    rmabrey,

Like I said before I've been watching for a while and this one caught my attention, sure its a sketchy situation, all I'm saying is we got his version of the story that I'm sure differs from the security guys and from the cops side. I'm not saying anyone person is right or wrong, all I wanted to express was that I think Titanium sounded a little over the top on the whole thing. I'm actually very glad that I chose this thread to post on first, cause it has really shown me how people on here think. I'm sure they would've approached you day 1 had it been noticed.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    He's doing pretty good for being so early, the little guy just has to get older and grow out of his breathing problems. Thanks for asking
    :)

Breathing problems? Is it asthma, Titanium? My son is 30 now but he was born with asthma and I well remember spending nights in the hospital with him while he was in an oxygen tent. He had to have nightly treatments at home for years afterward and still carries an inhaler. My prayers are with you, man!

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    The cop was there to investigate "a man with a gun". He has the right to ask for an ID. Any court in the states would say that's enough probable cause. To stand there and not answer or refuse to produce a license and/or ID is enough to detain until such information is obtained. He was not on a "fishing trip".

Yes, he can ask for an ID, but OP does not have to supply one unless he has been detained. There is no ability to detain unless there is reasonable suspicion that a law is being broken or about to be broken. OP should have been asked for his LTCH and once he produces it, encounter over.

And refusing to answer is a 5th amendment right.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    ....it has really shown me how people on here think.

Oh yeah?

Way to generalize over 15,000 of your fellow Indiana residents, neighbors, and gun enthusiasts.

It looks like your argument here is over and nobody wants to spew drama back and forth.

Why not take the time to check out some of the other forums, the ones focused on firearms and shooting culture.....you might find a place where you can gain or contribute helpful knowledge about something that happens to be THE ONLY THING WE ALL HAVE IN COMMON.

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    The cop was there to investigate "a man with a gun". He has the right to ask for an ID. Any court in the states would say that's enough probable cause. To stand there and not answer or refuse to produce a license and/or ID is enough to detain until such information is obtained. He was not on a "fishing trip".

Hooker,

I'm not here to kick a dead horse, but I have to agree with lrahm. Sounds like he had grounds to detain based on the "man with a gun" complaint and then further when you were non compliant with the security officer. Like I said in a previous post, discretion and maybe a little compliance could have saved a lot of trouble.

EnochRoot43,
    all I'm saying is that thats what I have observed up to this point I'm not saying that about all Indiana gunowners, simply the ones I have had contact with on here thus far. Don't make this into something its not.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Hooker,

I'm not here to kick a dead horse, but I have to agree with lrahm. Sounds like he had grounds to detain based on the "man with a gun" complaint and then further when you were non compliant with the security officer. Like I said in a previous post, discretion and maybe a little compliance could have saved a lot of trouble.

EnochRoot43,
    all I'm saying is that thats what I have observed up to this point I'm not saying that about all Indiana gunowners, simply the ones I have had contact with on here thus far. Don't make this into something its not.
    The LEO only has the authority to ask for the LTCH, once that has been presented no further questioning is needed. There is no requirement to show some other form of ID.

If I got this wrong I am sure someone here will correct me.:rockwoot:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Titanium I respoded to a post that was apparently serious enough for you to take the time to write out your version of what happened, and not something that said "why did the chicken cross the road?" I responded to 7 pages of your freinds and like minded individuals and it is killing you that someone challenged what you had to say. You tell me to man up, but I'm not the one who got all butt-hurt when someone challenged me. You just wanted an attaboy, and a pat on the back from your minions, and nothing else. As for having a dog in this fight, you're absolutely right, my dog in this fight is in the form of enjoying the priviledge to carry concealed or openly if I chose to. We could easily have been like other staes IL, and WI just to name a couple that do not allow citizens to carry, they can still own and posses, but not carry in public in a defensive mannor.
    One problem here in my opinion and nothing against you sir. But you consider it a privilege to carry a gun, concealed or otherwise. I think I should be able to carry concealed or otherwise without a pepto bismal pink permission slip from the State and I am sure I am not the only one.
    2nd Amendment says nothing about me being able to bear arms only at home unless the government says it's OK.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN

My response was not based on opinion. It's based on the law.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Sorry that I can't get on here every 15 min to respond to everyone that I pissed off , see I have thing that get in the way of that and its called a life. When I joined this site I did not realize that 80% of the people on would get mad about a guy with an opinion on here, but this furthers my point about growing up. I'd like to thank Ralpb72 for neg reping me to get the the guy for bashing his bud too. Regards,

Willy

Oh boy. You have decended into the arena. If you want to survive here without having a heart attack, you're going to need to go out and buy some thicker skin. Arguments get a lot worse than this here.

I don't see a need to draw all this attention to myself when it comes to carrying. You may not have broken any laws per se, but pushing them to the limit in the eye of the public is a bad rep for all of us gunowners. I'll think of people like you the next time some politician gets voted in and does their best to take away and or restrict our right to bear arms as much as they can.

So did he draw all of this attention and get anti-gun politicians all riled up and ready to ban your rights, which apparently you're willing to just lay down without a fight and blame a gun owner for excessing a right, by wearing a t-shirt and bending over (OMG!!!), or by not showing a security guard his DRIVER'S LICENSE while standing in a hospital. I'm just wanting to know what got those politicians all riled up, because neither of those seem to be trying to "draw all this attention", if you ask me, the security officer initiated the big deal, by making a big deal about a guy who was concealing his handgun under a t-shirt that happened to ride up during his visit to the hospital.

Of course, we do only have one side of the story, so perhaps if you, or one of the other few members who joined INGO to jump into this thread (instead of one of the million 4th Amendment threads that are way more interesting and important, in my opinion, then go ahead and tell us the other side of the story, otherwise, this is the only side for us to go on.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

So my merely (and legally) possessing a gun, openly, is grounds to be detained? What's the "crime" I've committed? Is it grounds to be cuffed? Placed in a police car? Cite your source, if you can. :dunno:

rmabrey,

Like I said before I've been watching for a while and this one caught my attention, sure its a sketchy situation, all I'm saying is we got his version of the story that I'm sure differs from the security guys and from the cops side. I'm not saying anyone person is right or wrong, all I wanted to express was that I think Titanium sounded a little over the top on the whole thing. I'm actually very glad that I chose this thread to post on first, cause it has really shown me how people on here think. I'm sure they would've approached you day 1 had it been noticed.

There are always at least 3 sides to a story. I think Titanium sounded pretty calm and reasonable under the circumstances.

Hooker,

He was leaving the hospital (AS asked). How much more compliant should he have been? Should he hand over HIS gun to a total stranger? NO ONE touches my gun without my say so....security guard or not. And as already pointed out, HE didn't intiate the confrontation. "Security" did.

Top Bottom