• Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    looks like he got positive rep for that post:popcorn:
    Thanks for backing me up, Lori! :(:D

Why should Willy get negative repped for stating his opinion? Some of us may not agree with it, but it's his to have...Piling on the "new guy" is ghey.

Willy, if anyone negative reps you, let me know and I'll return the favor to them.

BTW, I was armed at the Evansville St. Mary's for about 2 hours today getting some blood/urine work done for my son and didn't have an issue. :):

(The results came back and Xander is fine, if anyone cares)
    Oh we were just kidding around, lol. Great for Xander:yesway:

Wow, I about got kicked out of Deaconess years ago, but it wasn't for a gun. I wanted to get my wife and new daughter home before the 24 hrs was up. I was paying cash and my kids doctor had ok'd the release but the doc on duty was playing golf or something. They threatened to charge me with kidnapping my own kid! The nerve. I said knock yourself out and left......(Mom and Baby were fine, no issues).
    That would suck, glad they were fine. :rockwoot:
    Willy, you at least got some positive feedback.
    Man, this is pullin all the 1 posters out of the woodwork :cool:
    Just out of curiosity, did you by chance mention to any hospital staff that you posted this story here?
    No, why? Do you think it would help any? :laugh:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    As Indiana permits don't have pictures on them why wouldn't a police officer have every right to ask for a valid form of picture ID to confirm you in fact are the party on the carry permit?

I think the permit should include a picture but since it doesn't how could you fault an Leo for verifying?

The officer has every right to ask, but the suspect has every right to decline the request. The officer basically has two options at that point:

#1: If for whatever reason the LEO doesn't believe the name on the license is that of the person who is offering it up, they can arrest the person for carrying w/o a license.

#2: The LEO could take down the information, release the individual, and investigate further if they feel it is warranted.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The officer has every right to ask, but the suspect has every right to decline the request. The officer basically has two options at that point:

#1: If for whatever reason the LEO doesn't believe the name on the license is that of the person who is offering it up, they can arrest the person for carrying w/o a license.

#2: The LEO could take down the information, release the individual, and investigate further if they feel it is warranted.
    Best post on this thread. With Jetgirl's addition (thanks jetgirl:D) this is the clearest, most consice (sp?) and accurate accurate explaination I have seen. Reps to you

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Well Titanium, I'm so sorry that you feel the way you do about me and the post that I made. If it would make you feel better, I could be like all of your buddies on here and crawl up on to your lap and tell you you're right, that you're the man, and that you always have been. The fact that you prompted others to " neg rep" me, then later saw no one jumped on the bandwagon you made it sound like you were joking the whole time. Sorry that I can't get on here every 15 min to respond to everyone that I pissed off , see I have thing that get in the way of that and its called a life. When I joined this site I did not realize that 80% of the people on would get mad about a guy with an opinion on here, but this furthers my point about growing up. I'd like to thank Ralpb72 for neg reping me to get the the guy for bashing his bud too. Regards,

Willy

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I guess I'll be on the short team here but i thought Willy made a decent posting. I do fully support carry but I also understand the legality of a private business (assuming this hospital is one) to dictate carry on their property. My house, my rules. You don't like then you can leave. And also to point out one thing also: You stated that they could not stop you from coming to hospital. Rest assured if they had ample reason and desire they certainly could. Most hospitals have legal counsel on staff and access to judges for court orders/ppo's/etc. If they proved you were uncooperative and they felt a threat (not that you did but sometimes visitors do) they certainly could bar you from the property. Now you options at that time would be to take your son out AMA (against medical advice) and take him to another facility. They always have a way to protect their house and you likewise have an option not to be there......Trust me, I have seen it done many times. When you work in a intercity hospital with a level 1 trauma center that sees the worst of clientele you see it all. There have been circumstances where a patient was in the facility and family was BARRED from entering. Doesn't happen often but occasionally. Bottom line is you got caught breaking a rule and now have to live with the consequences. No need to get angry at others. I will add that does not excuse the officer being rude. The mark of a good officer is to maintain decent decorum during a difficult encounter.

Willy Keep posting. You'll get along. (even if you are usmc!!!!!)

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Thanks phatgemi, glad to see that I do not stand alone. I have enjoyed reading your posts on here, and have certainly noticed you seem to be a level headed individual. That being said I have always understood as well, a private hospital has every right to ban you from the property, with the exception of emergency care of yourself (meaning not to visit another patient in the hospital). I don't see a need to draw all this attention to myself when it comes to carrying. You may not have broken any laws per se, but pushing them to the limit in the eye of the public is a bad rep for all of us gunowners. I'll think of people like you the next time some politician gets voted in and does their best to take away and or restrict our right to bear arms as much as they can. I'll think of you because of the votes that you helped them win, by creating more anti gun sentiment with those who may not have had much opinion on the matter other than "well its their right to carry a gun if they want "...anyways kiddies its time for me to get off of my soapbox (Come on OP I know you've got rhetoric for that too, don't dissapoint me!)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Well Titanium, I'm so sorry that you feel the way you do about me and the post that I made. If it would make you feel better, I could be like all of your buddies on here and crawl up on to your lap and tell you you're right, that you're the man, and that you always have been. The fact that you prompted others to " neg rep" me, then later saw no one jumped on the bandwagon you made it sound like you were joking the whole time. Sorry that I can't get on here every 15 min to respond to everyone that I pissed off , see I have thing that get in the way of that and its called a life. When I joined this site I did not realize that 80% of the people on would get mad about a guy with an opinion on here, but this furthers my point about growing up. I'd like to thank Ralpb72 for neg reping me to get the the guy for bashing his bud too. Regards,

Willy
    Don't be a crybaby Willy, you decided to post on a thread that had a good 7 pages to state the way it was heading and you decided that was a good time to buck the flow. If you can't take a joke maybe this isn't the best forum for you until you can man up a little. I certainly don't have to defend my actions to you even though you sound like you have a dog in this fight. If you want to hash this out face to face or at least voice to voice PM me. Maybe I won't sound like such a bad guy then.

I guess I'll be on the short team here but i thought Willy made a decent posting. I do fully support carry but I also understand the legality of a private business (assuming this hospital is one) to dictate carry on their property. My house, my rules. You don't like then you can leave. And also to point out one thing also: You stated that they could not stop you from coming to hospital. Rest assured if they had ample reason and desire they certainly could. Most hospitals have legal counsel on staff and access to judges for court orders/ppo's/etc. If they proved you were uncooperative and they felt a threat (not that you did but sometimes visitors do) they certainly could bar you from the property. Now you options at that time would be to take your son out AMA (against medical advice) and take him to another facility. They always have a way to protect their house and you likewise have an option not to be there......Trust me, I have seen it done many times. When you work in a intercity hospital with a level 1 trauma center that sees the worst of clientele you see it all. There have been circumstances where a patient was in the facility and family was BARRED from entering. Doesn't happen often but occasionally. Bottom line is you got caught breaking a rule and now have to live with the consequences. No need to get angry at others. I will add that does not excuse the officer being rude. The mark of a good officer is to maintain decent decorum during a difficult encounter.

Willy Keep posting. You'll get along. (even if you are usmc!!!!!)

You just don't get it, and I'm not going to waste anymore time in explaining it if you haven't gotten why I am upset.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I read your account and found myself wondering why the hospital security didn't wait for the police to show up before confronting you. He obviously knew that they were on their way. If you were a big enough threat to call the police on, you were a big enough threat to wait the 15 seconds more it would take for the backup to arrive. Weird.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I read your account and found myself wondering why the hospital security didn't wait for the police to show up before confronting you. He obviously knew that they were on their way. If you were a big enough threat to call the police on, you were a big enough threat to wait the 15 seconds more it would take for the backup to arrive. Weird.

Agreed. It didn't make a lot of sense on their end any way you slice it.

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Titanium I respoded to a post that was apparently serious enough for you to take the time to write out your version of what happened, and not something that said "why did the chicken cross the road?" I responded to 7 pages of your freinds and like minded individuals and it is killing you that someone challenged what you had to say. You tell me to man up, but I'm not the one who got all butt-hurt when someone challenged me. You just wanted an attaboy, and a pat on the back from your minions, and nothing else. As for having a dog in this fight, you're absolutely right, my dog in this fight is in the form of enjoying the priviledge to carry concealed or openly if I chose to. We could easily have been like other staes IL, and WI just to name a couple that do not allow citizens to carry, they can still own and posses, but not carry in public in a defensive mannor.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Agreed. It didn't make a lot of sense on their end any way you slice it.

Once again I will state that I do not condone the officer's if they were not professional in their dealing with you. But with that said, I see part of the issue is that you in this posting would indicate that you would have respect for the police officer but not for a security officer who actually works for the hospital and is their official representative in enforcing hospital rules.

I think this whole incident is unfortunate. You should have the right to carry there with your LTCH. They had no reason to be unprofessional. But I am beginning to feel the bottom line is that you are just mad because you got caught and just like anybody else, you are resistant to following the rules because you did get busted. Most of us would probably feel the same in your shoes. Just let it go.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I guess I'll be on the short team here but i thought Willy made a decent posting. I do fully support carry but I also understand the legality of a private business (assuming this hospital is one) to dictate carry on their property. My house, my rules. You don't like then you can leave.

I don't think anyone is challenging the right of the hospital to ban guns on the property. The issue here is how the security guy and cop handled it. If the security guy and cop had been informed about citizen's rights, then this would have gone down very differently. They would have approached the OP differently, and OP wouldn't have seemed like he was being defiant in not complying with the officer's demands.

You do not have to ID yourself unless you are being detained. Not producing ID because a cop asks for it is not grounds to detain.

OP had been visiting the hospital for two weeks before all this happened. If he was a thug just looking for a reason to shoot up the place, like some have suggested, I would think the cops would have been called long before this incident.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The cop was there to investigate "a man with a gun". He has the right to ask for an ID. Any court in the states would say that's enough probable cause. To stand there and not answer or refuse to produce a license and/or ID is enough to detain until such information is obtained. He was not on a "fishing trip".

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

I've wondered this in Titanium's carry adventure as well as the other accounts I read on this forum of people going nuts when they see guys carry. I don't know- seems like the antis are either extremely brave...or extremely stupid. It seems like inwardly they know it's OK, but outwardly they just can't get over the "knee-jerk-sheep-response-mechanism" (K.J.S.R.M:)

And, Titanium, since I've followed this thread, I've just got to ask- how's the boy? Is he out of the hospital now?

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Titanium I respoded to a post that was apparently serious enough for you to take the time to write out your version of what happened, and not something that said "why did the chicken cross the road?" I responded to 7 pages of your freinds and like minded individuals and it is killing you that someone challenged what you had to say. You tell me to man up, but I'm not the one who got all butt-hurt when someone challenged me. You just wanted an attaboy, and a pat on the back from your minions, and nothing else. As for having a dog in this fight, you're absolutely right, my dog in this fight is in the form of enjoying the priviledge to carry concealed or openly if I chose to. We could easily have been like other staes IL, and WI just to name a couple that do not allow citizens to carry, they can still own and posses, but not carry in public in a defensive mannor.

The cop was there to investigate "a man with a gun". He has the right to ask for an ID. Any court in the states would say that's enough probable cause. To stand there and not answer or refuse to produce a license and/or ID is enough to detain until such information is obtained. He was not on a "fishing trip".

Im just curious, Of all the discussions that we've had on this forum, what made this one stand out. Willy, you claim to have been lurking a while but this thread made you join. Why? There are much better threads to jump into. Both of you joined yesterday and so far youve only came back to post in this thread.

Top Bottom