• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    He did this twice getting in my way and preventing me from leaving. Once in the NICU and again when I made my way to the elevators. So that was definitely harassment then...

The "security guard" that stopped you in the NICU...he was overzealous. I would complain to hospital staff about him.

After reading it again, slower this time, the PO originally stepped infront to ask for your license, which you rightfully declined. Then you gave him your LTCH when requested(which was the right thing to do). I have reading comprehension issues it appears.:noway:

He had no reason to have an interaction with you once you provided your LTCH, and he did let you go after giving him the information. He lied to you about the DL and threatened you to not be able to see your son anymore(I've read that police are allowed to lie)...that was dirty(sounds like a bully threat to me). I would, at the minimum, file a complaint with his superiors. I don't think you can really do any more than that. :twocents:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The "security guard" that stopped you in the NICU...he was overzealous. I would complain to hospital staff about him.

Done/Doing

at the minimum, file a complaint with his superiors. I don't think you can really do any more than that. :twocents:

That's about all I thought I could accomplish. He is a friggin Sgt. Too so I doubt I can get much done at all but I would love a face to face apology to my wife and I.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    you make a noticeable scene at a Hospital and let me know how that works out for you. Their house their rules, they can search if they want and deny access if you deny compliance.

I am so tired of the "Let me know how that works out for you" Or "Tell your widow wife to let us know how that worked out for you" snotty, ***** lines on INGO. I didn't say anything about making "a noticeable scene" in my post, so why did you need to inject a "what if" scenario into what I said? Conceal, you'll be fine.

I probably could have phrased it better. They can ask to search him.

:):

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I didn't say anything about making "a noticeable scene" in my post, so why did you need to inject a "what if" scenario into what I said? Conceal, you'll be fine.
    It was a HUGE scene, even tonight people looked at us funny like I was going to pull out a gun or the cops were going to come again. I am not going to carry again while my son is in the NICU. No one, however told my wife she couldn't carry.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As Indiana permits don't have pictures on them why wouldn't a police officer have every right to ask for a valid form of picture ID to confirm you in fact are the party on the carry permit?

I think the permit should include a picture but since it doesn't how could you fault an Leo for verifying?

Pretty please with sugar on top isn't a phrase to expect every time

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Because the law states that you must provide your LTCH when a LEO asks. The law clearly states you only have to ID yourself when stopped for an infraction or ordinance violation.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    As Indiana permits don't have pictures on them why wouldn't a police officer have every right to ask for a valid form of picture ID to confirm you in fact are the party on the carry permit?

I think the permit should include a picture but since it doesn't how could you fault an Leo for verifying?

I lost track of how many times it's been explained in this thread.

OP, sorry about your bad experience...Feel free to not carry anymore, but I'm sure you'd be fine if you just wore better suited clothes for CC. I couldn't tell you how many times I've carried in St. Mary's(Evansville) and I've never had an issue.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Because here in Indiana, cops are supposed to follow the laws, not your misinformed ideas. Our little pink permission slips count as a form of identification here according to BMV. Also, do you really want to live in Nazi America? "Papers please"

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Then I guess we can agree to disagree. With identity theft at an all time high and the fact that the carry permit can be passed off by anyone as their own since the law states a picture ID doesn't have to be presented until an infraction of the law occurs. I think that's a joke in itself. Ad the way the law is written you were in the right, if you feel the need to push the issue then again, you have every right to do so. I would pick a diffent battle to fight than thus one. Sounds mire like egos were hurt more than anything. I'm all about the 2A but sometimes I think people go to far.

Hope your son is doing well, my daughter was born 3 months premature and is doing excellent 5 years later. Otherwise I'd say enjoy the time with your son and focus less on this. Sounds like you made your case with everyone, and if you did it properly it should go further than beating the proverbial Internet dead horse.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    He is doing pretty well for being 7 weeks early, thanks for asking.

On the other hand, this is not about identity theft or even the second amendment for that matter, it is about me being treated like a criminal and my wife being upset and embarassed when I did nothing illegal. I am tired of cops especially who feel the need to lie to get their way when they could just do what is necessary and go on with their business.

Also, it is a nice break from the stress of my son in the hospital to focus on ripping a few people some new Aholes... :D

Tonight my wife and I blew the crap out of a huge stuffed bear and some coconuts in a horrific massacre of gunfire that I am sure the hospital staff was just sure was going to happen last night :laugh:

Night guys, talk to you tomorrow when (hopefully) I will know some more.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Then I guess we can agree to disagree. With identity theft at an all time high and the fact that the carry permit can be passed off by anyone as their own since the law states a picture ID doesn't have to be presented until an infraction of the law occurs. I think that's a joke in itself. Ad the way the law is written you were in the right, if you feel the need to push the issue then again, you have every right to do so. I would pick a diffent battle to fight than thus one. Sounds mire like egos were hurt more than anything. I'm all about the 2A but sometimes I think people go to far.

Hope your son is doing well, my daughter was born 3 months premature and is doing excellent 5 years later. Otherwise I'd say enjoy the time with your son and focus less on this. Sounds like you made your case with everyone, and if you did it properly it should go further than beating the proverbial Internet dead horse.

So, the way I read this is...

"If you are asked for your papers, you should comply regardless of whether or not it is a valid/legal request."

We DO have Rights, last time I looked. If you are willing to be harrassed, that is fine and your right, but to say that "people go to far" when they stand up for THEIR own rights, is a little insulting.

Do you also think everyone should comply with the TSA probing an 11yo girl, because some people take the 4th too far? :dunno:

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Not sure what hosptial/system you work for but I disagree with part of your post. I also work at a large hospital and am very familiar with security issues. Most hosptials have specific policies dealing with weapons (their descriptions) on property. Now in most cases, possession is merely a violation of their policy and not a law. Our facility gives you options. One, keep your weapon locked in vehicle. Two lock box provided or you are free to leave. The criminal trespass warning does not ban you from property. Most hospitals phrase it: You are not to be on property unless being seen as a patient or here with a patient. In other words, you have no business here unless on official business. Obviously the op here has official business as his child is a patient. As a private facillity, the hospital has every right to ban weapons. If you want to be there you have to abide. Also in many cases, commissioned police officers working in hospitals are working details for the hospital and actually are performing as an agent for the hospital in addition to normal police functions. Sometimes this creates issues.

Now on to the HIPPA bus that everyone loves to jump on and calling the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and How for sueing......The keyword to keep in mind is UNAUTHORIZED rekease if medical information. If I am staff at hospital and I am calling police for a preceived problem and I provide required information for the incident, that is NOT an unauthorized release. We have seen this many times......People love the hippa bandwagon and it is a serious issue but just remember: It's the unauthorized release to unauthorized personnel that causes problems. Giving some info to a police officer/department may not (not always) be a violation.

I will state that my personal opinion is that if you have a ltch you are good to go and there should not be an issue. UInfortunately I don't get to make the rules.

x1000

I'm a nurse and 99% of the people don't know what HIPPA is.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    So, the way I read this is...

"If you are asked for your papers, you should comply regardless of whether or not it is a valid/legal request."

We DO have Rights, last time I looked. If you are willing to be harrassed, that is fine and your right, but to say that "people go to far" when they stand up for THEIR own rights, is a little insulting.

Do you also think everyone should comply with the TSA probing an 11yo girl, because some people take the 4th too far? :dunno:

Negative. The way this should be read is that everyone has a right to exercise their rights in any fashion they see fit for the situation at hand. The way I handle something may not be the way you would, but neither is right or wrong since it was our own way of handling the situation.

I never said this situation was going to far but clearly make it known that I would have handled it different. My opinion on that matter, nothing mor nothing less. And as far as comparing 2A injustices to all the others going on...... We would be here forever listing them all. So let's stay on topic with gun laws. I'm sure someone else has already laid claim to defending that little girl on some other forum. I think tsafeltupmydaughtet.org is leading that interwebz debate.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Except that their ban has no force of law...so if I want to carry there, I can. Yes, I understand that they can ask me to leave, but only if they see it ;)

You are correct. But if the hospital is private property and me as agent of the hospital requests that you leave for a violation of our policy, you must comply. Understand it's not a law but as private property agent, it's the same as if i ask you to leave my house......Leave or you could be arrested for criminal trespass...I know it's arguing fine points but bottom line is you must comply or you then could be guilty of the trespass. Seen it happen many times and we have never been successfully sued.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government

After reading it again, slower this time, the PO originally stepped infront to ask for your license, which you rightfully declined. Then you gave him your LTCH when requested(which was the right thing to do). I have reading comprehension issues it appears.:noway:

He had no reason to have an interaction with you once you provided your LTCH, and he did let you go after giving him the information. He lied to you about the DL and threatened you to not be able to see your son anymore(I've read that police are allowed to lie)...that was dirty(sounds like a bully threat to me). I would, at the minimum, file a complaint with his superiors. I don't think you can really do any more than that. :twocents:

Yes, Virgina, the police can and do lie.

Top Bottom