• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I remember Hank Jr''s "Survive" song back in the 80s, but don't remember this much contention. Times change.
    Hank jr had quite a few songs where he was saying “I’m happy where I’m at, and I don’t care if the sun don’t rise tomorrow”. Nobody ever got upset about before the internet, nowadays, they’re just itching to come crawling out of the woodwork to scream “uneducated” and “deplorable”.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I agree with what you’re saying, but to me, his posts focus more on “I’m smarter than everyone else”. :):
    I was trying to ignore the personal, and just argue the logic.
    I’ve got a similar story as far as wearing a badge of honor, regarding quitting college, with people that thought they were so high and mighty. Certainly no regrets there. Many of those people in my life at that time can shove off. And did, a long time ago.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Some have accurately pointed out that 8 mills is a lot to pass up, and he may live to regret that decision.

But even if he ends up forgotten in a few years, it's still nice to have one good song you own the rights to, generating streaming income in the "streaming age." Most forgotten artists don't even have that. A lot of _signed_ people make an unfavorable deal early in their career, get replaced by somebody younger on the record company's roster, never get touched again, and never get the chance to buy the rights to their stuff back. I bet there's a decent number of once-famous artists not even getting the current income off the stuff they created.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “The singer-songwriter in Virginia who performs as Oliver Anthony has made Billboard history with his working man anthem “Rich Men North Of Richmond,” which debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the top spot.”

“The singer, born Christopher Anthony Lunsford, has become the first artist ever to debut in the number one spot on the all-genre music song chart with no prior chart history of any kind, Billboard magazine reported.”

“At the time, it was the first time in the history of the all-genre music chart that country music artists scored the top three spots in a single week, dating back to the start of the chart in August 1958.”

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If true, good for him.

EDIT: But more likely is closer to $400/day to him due to various factors. Still nothing to sneeze at.
    Being widely reported as $40,000 a day.

Music sensation Oliver Anthony is reportedly earning upward of $40,000 a day from his hit "Rich Men North of Richmond."

“In the first week alone, it was downloaded more than 147,000 times on iTunes, bringing in $102,000.”

“Royalties coming from platforms, including Spotify, are likely also making Anthony a lot of money at 4 cents per stream.”

"Rich Men North of Richmond" is being streamed close to 2 million times per day, according to data collected by Chartmetric, the report noted.”

"The general rule of thumb is that every million streams is about $5,000 if you own all the rights," Ross Michaels, the co-president and founder of Park Avenue Artists, said.”

“However, $40,000 per day is possible for Anthony through additional streaming and money brought in from sites including Patreon and Bandcamp, according to the report.”

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Being widely reported as $40,000 a day.

Music sensation Oliver Anthony is reportedly earning upward of $40,000 a day from his hit "Rich Men North of Richmond."

“In the first week alone, it was downloaded more than 147,000 times on iTunes, bringing in $102,000.”

“Royalties coming from platforms, including Spotify, are likely also making Anthony a lot of money at 4 cents per stream.”

"Rich Men North of Richmond" is being streamed close to 2 million times per day, according to data collected by Chartmetric, the report noted.”

"The general rule of thumb is that every million streams is about $5,000 if you own all the rights," Ross Michaels, the co-president and founder of Park Avenue Artists, said.”

“However, $40,000 per day is possible for Anthony through additional streaming and money brought in from sites including Patreon and Bandcamp, according to the report.”

This all sounds about right from what I have seen people making on YouTube. But you also factor in everyone involved gets a cut, the viral YouTube was put together by WVradio so they will get a cut, then taxes and then some more taxes on top of those taxes…..lol.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I wish I came up with that stupid kids song during Covid that parents played over and over on you tube for their kids. “Sharky shark shark….” It’s like 8 BILLION views. Somebody got filthy rich off that. Think it’s still #1 video of all time on YouTube.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This all sounds about right from what I have seen people making on YouTube. But you also factor in everyone involved gets a cut, the viral YouTube was put together by WVradio so they will get a cut, then taxes and then some more taxes on top of those taxes…..lol.
    @Ingomike Like I said, $400 a day. :):

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I wish I came up with that stupid kids song during Covid that parents played over and over on you tube for their kids. “Sharky shark shark….” It’s like 8 BILLION views. Somebody got filthy rich off that. Think it’s still #1 video of all time on YouTube.
    Thanks.
    You had to put that in my head.
    Jerk.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Top Bottom