• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Wow, I have no idea what I just watched, but it was fun, once.
    You have to be a Tom MacDonald fan (based) and/or an Adam Calhoun (country rap) fan, in addition to being a little bit of a hillbilly yourself to appreciate the fine details.

The bigger picture is that MacDonald and Dax are musically leading the populist charge (in the rap genre) against the corporate powers that be, the “machine” if you will, as independent rap artists, and in Dax’s case, a Christian (influenced) artist.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    You have to be a Tom MacDonald fan (based) and/or an Adam Calhoun (country rap) fan, in addition to being a little bit of a hillbilly yourself to appreciate the fine details.

The bigger picture is that MacDonald and Dax are musically leading the populist charge (in the rap genre) against the corporate powers that be, the “machine” if you will, as independent rap artists, and in Dax’s case, a Christian (influenced) artist.
    Well did some looking around and learned a few things. I don’t listen real quick for one. But here’s one that struck me as in the same spirit as Rich Men

From that genre, generally. I think.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    *LANGUAGE WARNING*

I know this isn’t the typical music of most on here… or maybe I am assuming too much since Tom is up above me. This isn’t MY typical music that is for sure. But I love seeing people from all walks of life coming together.

Again language warning.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

My thoughts in bold below. I know my view won't be popular here and I'm fine with that. Someone needs to say it.

This song is sentimentalism and victimhood masquerading as some "working man's anthem".

Enjoy.

Oliver Anthony Lyrics

"Rich Men North Of Richmond"

I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day (get a different job)
    Overtime hours for bullsh*t pay (get a different job)
    So I can sit out here and waste my life away
    Drag back home and drown my troubles away (don't drink your troubles away, super bad for you, live a disciplined life, not one of indulgence)
    It's a d*mn shame what the world's gotten to (what the world has gotten to or what we have made of the world?)
    For people like me and people like you
    Wish I could just wake up and it not be true (that's a childish escapist fantasy)
    But it is, oh, it is

Livin' in the new world
    With an old soul (people talk about being "an old soul" a lot, it is nonsense)
    These rich men north of Richmond
    Lord knows they all just wanna have total control (then stop living in ways that give them more control, exercise self control, raise your family well, stay married)
    Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do (stop downloading the latest spyware apps)
    And they don't think you know, but I know that you do
    'Cause your dollar ain't sh*t and it's taxed to no end (I don't have much on this one BUT...don't just blame the left for destroying the dollar and our taxation levels)
    'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I wish politicians would look out for miners
    And not just minors on an island somewhere
    Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothin' to eat (so then feed them, the ones you see, where you live)
    And the obese milkin' welfare

Well, God, if you're 5-foot-3 and you're 300 pounds
    Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds
    Young men are puttin' themselves six feet in the ground (this is a big issue, but...the solution to it isn't embracing victimhood)
    'Cause all this d*mn country does is keep on kickin' them down (eh...could move to another country I suppose? Nigeria is probably hiring)

Lord, it's a d*mn shame what the world's gotten to
    For people like me and people like you
    Wish I could just wake up and it not be true
    But it is, oh, it is

Livin' in the new world
    With an old soul
    These rich men north of Richmond
    Lord knows they all just wanna have total control
    Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do
    And they don't think you know, but I know that you do
    'Cause your dollar ain't sh*t and it's taxed to no end
    'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day
    Overtime hours for bullsh*t pay
    Not sure about the commentary, but I do appreciate you posting the lyrics. I keep seeing this song posted everywhere, but there is no chance I'm going to voluntarily subject myself to country noise.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Not sure about the commentary, but I do appreciate you posting the lyrics. I keep seeing this song posted everywhere, but there is no chance I'm going to voluntarily subject myself to country noise.
    I felt similarly about country before I heard this song. Probably not quite as strong.
    It seems different to me than what I thought of country.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's not "bro country" or "pop country" which is what so much of "country" has become.
    I don't claim to be a country music fan either, but there are some songs I like. Back in my later high school/early college years I used to like Willie and Waylon. Really was more into southern rock. Marshall Tucker, CDB, Outlaws, Allman Brothers, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, etc...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    It's not "bro country" or "pop country" which is what so much of "country" has become.
    I never got into that argument, because I don't know what "real" country is.
    Country music seems to cover a lot of ground under one umbrella, if'n y'all'll have each other.

Spent some time recently exploring Spotify since Rich Men has came out, and I've listened to more banjer music in the last two weeks than I have in my life.

But then this popped up too, which I really enjoyed...
    (not trying to derail the thread, see avatar)

@Gabriel see if this is more your style

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Country music seems to cover a lot of ground under one umbrella, if'n y'all'll have each other.

Spent some time recently exploring Spotify since Rich Men has came out, and I've listened to more banjer music in the last two weeks than I have in my life.

Don't have a spotify account.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Is it this?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

So many songs can be done completely different from the original release. For years I thought it would be cool to make a Purple Rain a country song. Found Dwight Yoakam did just that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I love genre shifts. Some are hilarious.

This is my ringtone for my wife. :laugh:

Love this remake. Brass instead of electric guitar. And it works incredibly well.

And these guys do an epic mix of rap and bluegrass. (I really dont like rap but I dig these guys. Mainly because they arent vulgar. in fact they sometimes get quite cerebral.)

And my all time favorite crossover. Which is the cover? This, or the Led Zepplin version? I'd argue its a toss up because both seem like they could be the original.

Top Bottom