Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been deeply involved in this movement now for over 20 years and I am utterly astonished. I've never seen a board like this.

We successfuly staged Indiana's first open carry walk, proving to 2nd Amendment supporters and government officials throughout the state that such events are peaceful and that people do NOT run away screaming when they see their fellow citizens armed. We've opened the door wide for these events in other cities in Indiana. We distributed well-written educational flyers that a number of citizens are reading and learning from as we speak.

And yet those of us who went downtown and actually participated in the thing are having our chops busted over imaginary flag etiquette issues? The walk was stupid because gun rights are in "no danger" in Indiana?

I know I'm relatively new here but can one of you board veterans explain to me what is going on here??? Why are these people on this board?

TROLLS, but you didn't hear it from me ;)

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Springboarding off of Prometheus's post right now. Had I responded directly to fpdshooter at the time I might have said something intemperate.

I have long been little concerned about the forms and appearances of "patriotism" and more concerned about the content. Somebody wearing a T-shirt with the US flag printed on it to show their love of the country is in technical violation of the Flag Code but so what? Their heart is in the right place and isn't that really what counts?

Consider this:
    "No greater love hath a man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

When I was in the military one of the first things that was drummed into our heads in Basic was the Soldier's Code, the first article of which was:

"I am an American fighting man. I serve in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense."

Read that again: "I am prepared to give my life in their defense."

After that, IMO, trivia over where someone's hand is or whether or not their head is covered doesn't really rate.

And in comparison these folk were willing to step forward, stand up, and take an action (perhaps a small one, but as they say about journey's and steps....) in defense of our freedoms. Even if people had been careless about proper "etiquette" for the National Anthem (which we have been assured was not the case when it was actually sung), that still wouldn't rate very highly in my book against the greater action of their standing up for our rights.

So a thank you to all and a hearty :patriot:.

Thanks for your feedback...and as far as the Flag Code...while it may be etiquette to follow, just the code itself is a violation of the 1st Amendment.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    I had the Buffalo Chicken as well. It was good. I think I still like Denny's better though. Maybe it's a tie.
    haha seemed like that one was a hit. and it was a pleasure to meet you and your children beau. good luck and god speed in your continuing success as a father.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am so proud to be part of a board with great people like you "Walkers" on it. I will do my best to add my presence to yours at the next event.

Here's a heartfelt HUZZAH! to today's success!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    someone in this thread had a ...
    v_for_vendetta_by_kilroyart.jpg

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I've been deeply involved in this movement now for over 20 years and I am utterly astonished. I've never seen a board like this.

We successfuly staged Indiana's first open carry walk, proving to 2nd Amendment supporters and government officials throughout the state that such events are peaceful and that people do NOT run away screaming when they see their fellow citizens armed. We've opened the door wide for these events in other cities in Indiana. We distributed well-written educational flyers that a number of citizens are reading and learning from as we speak.

And yet those of us who went downtown and actually participated in the thing are having our chops busted over imaginary flag etiquette issues? The walk was stupid because gun rights are in "no danger" in Indiana?

I know I'm relatively new here but can one of you board veterans explain to me what is going on here??? Why are these people on this board?

They weren't there, but could have been, jealous maybe? Envious? Ashamed? Or just perhaps bored and need to go out and involve themselves in life somehow.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    im sad.....we scared away J, the guy who brought and carried the American Flag. he said he felt personally attacked and does not want to be a part of a forum that allows that. he was a great guy, arrived very early, and had something to talk about constantly. lol im just glad he still wants to be a part of future events.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    im sad.....we scared away J, the guy who brought and carried the American Flag. he said he felt personally attacked and does not want to be a part of a forum that allows that. he was a great guy, arrived very early, and had something to talk about constantly. lol im just glad he still wants to be a part of future events.

He shouldn't be scared away by a few inconsiderate individuals that do not show any respect toward others that attempt to do good for the gun community.

I also felt personally attacked, as I had posted earlier...those individuals will not redeem themselves unless they can admit their wrongs and I will simply use the "ignore" feature on them. They do not deserve any respect in my book...they are mud.
    Please let J know that we are very grateful and thankful he was there today, proudly carrying the American Flag.:patriot:

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    He shouldn't be scared away by a few inconsiderate individuals that do not show any respect toward others that attempt to do good for the gun community.

I also felt personally attacked, as I had posted earlier...those individuals will not redeem themselves unless they can admit their wrongs and I will simply use the "ignore" feature on them. They do not deserve any respect in my book...they are mud.
    Please let J know that we are very grateful and thankful he was there today, proudly carrying the American Flag.:patriot:

he has been notified....:yesway::patriot:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Men and Women,

I think we are all missing the big picture here. Savage Eagle and ATF Consumer worked hard....I'm sure harder than most others would have to get this thing organized and get 30-40 out of 5400 to show up and represent the whole body. They did not get paid. They put their own money into it. No pics in the paper. No medals at te end. They (all involved) did it because they felt it was the right thing to do. Now because the issue of the flag has been brought up, that is fine. Scutter says he was later informed, so people let it go. Give thanks to the people that made this 1st day happen. And hope for more of them to come. People it is time to take a stand, and the more the better. Instead of arguing about a flag, argue about where the next gathering will be, what it will be about, and what the purpose of it will be. It can only go up from here and I feel that this is a great starting point. :twocents:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm sure harder than most others would have to get this thing organized and get 30-40 out of 5400 to show up and represent the whole body.

For the record, the walkers were not "representing the whole body," as this was not an INGO event.

That said, I am glad folks showed up, I am glad the walk went off without incident, and I'm sorry a few members felt the need to come into this thread with a chip on their shoulder and **** all over other members' accomplishments. :noway:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I am encouraged by how well the day went. I'm proud of everyone who attended. I too want to thank ATF and SE for stepping up and organizing. I'm very hopeful that the next one will be even larger and influential.

Oh, and alxjmrk, you are getting a +1 for changing my tire for me and making me look like a sissy in front of my wife.:D I'm kidding. I appreciate it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    For the record, the walkers were not "representing the whole body," as this was not an INGO event.

That said, I am glad folks showed up, I am glad the walk went off without incident, and I'm sorry a few members felt the need to come into this thread with a chip on their shoulder and **** all over other members' accomplishments. :noway:

Thanks shooter for reiterating that this was not an INGO event. As much as I would have liked it to be that way, it was not, at the request of Fenway. I respect that. I am thankful that he allowed us to use this forum as a gathering place to put it all together. Without this forum it would have been VERY hard to put this together how it was, if not impossible. I am very thankful for that.

I am, however, very pleased that this was strictly a grassroots movement.

This event has laid the foundation to a very important movement, all :bs: aside. The bickering is VERY regretful and I know I lost my cool for a while. I sat down, watched "Wanted" for the first time, and gathered my thoughts. :)

Now that everyone has their heads on straight, the real work has to begin.

Where do we go from here?

It was briefly mentioned at the dinner that it's time to encourage each and every member here to start locally. Go to your local Town/City Board meetings. Show up in droves. Demand change. Don't leave until you make progress. But this is the easy part. Easy compared to this...

Waking up the people.

I refuse to leave my kids a world in which they fear their government. I refuse to leave my kids a world which is crumbling around them. I refuse to go to my grave second guessing myself. What could I have done better? What should I have done that I didn't or couldn't do?

Waking up the people will be the hardest part. Too many people don't consider those things I just mentioned. Too many people don't understand the right that are given them by God, either because they don't believe in God, or they don't care period. There will be people who are just completely unreachable. It's inevitable for whatever the reason. But we have to try to reach all those who are reachable.

Not just about Gun Rights. Not just about their rights given in the Bill of Rights. But all rights they have as human beings. Not to have to live in fear. Not to have to conform to someone else's plan for them except fate's plan.

So what is our next move?

I suggested small groups of people handing out info. The same info we handed out yesterday. It's a start. It's something.

I'd like to know what you all think. I'll let you all stew on this today as I'm going to take the day to celebrate my son's birthday. Yes, I missed my son's 4th birthday to do what we did yesterday and it hurt. But I was with my son yesterday before and after, and his big day is being celebrated today. I missed nothing if not very little. Yes I would have liked him to be there with me yesterday, but I still got to spend the day with him and he got to stay up late with daddy tonight until he couldn't stay awake any longer. :D I love it when he gets tired and cranky and can barely keep his eyes open. It's just too cute. :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Yesterday afternoon, I was in a training session Downtown. I kept "peeking" at my lap top anxiously waiting for the next pictures of the walk. I was trying to figure out where you were so I could get a glimpse of the event. Sure enough, I was able to view the walk from a 9 story vantage point. It was great. :patriot:
    A few (10-12) of my fellow trainees also watched the parade. It was interesting to listen to the comments. Of course, many were appalled that people with weapons were blatently walking down the streets of Indy. :D My favorite comment was "where are the Police?" and sure enough as the words came out, there was the police presence in plain view. Oh, the confused faces when they saw the police WITH YOU! :laugh:
    After you passed by, we sat down to continue our training. The dialogue was about the open carry. I listened at first, and let the negatives spout out their dismay, BUT I was surprised and pleased at how many SUPPORTED you and the cause. After 20 minutes of good discussion about open carry and Indiana gun laws, we got back to training.
    You will never know how many people you impacted with your walk. There were more, like us, who were watching at a distance. You got people talking.

WELL DONE!!!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

Some folks will always be grumplestiltskins. :dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yesterday afternoon, I was in a training session Downtown. I kept "peeking" at my lap top anxiously waiting for the next pictures of the walk. I was trying to figure out where you were so I could get a glimpse of the event. Sure enough, I was able to view the walk from a 9 story vantage point. It was great. :patriot:
    A few (10-12) of my fellow trainees also watched the parade. It was interesting to listen to the comments. Of course, many were appalled that people with weapons were blatently walking down the streets of Indy. :D My favorite comment was "where are the Police?" and sure enough as the words came out, there was the police presence in plain view. Oh, the confused faces when they saw the police WITH YOU! :laugh:
    After you passed by, we sat down to continue our training. The dialogue was about the open carry. I listened at first, and let the negatives spout out their dismay, BUT I was surprised and pleased at how many SUPPORTED you and the cause. After 20 minutes of good discussion about open carry and Indiana gun laws, we got back to training.
    You will never know how many people you impacted with your walk. There were more, like us, who were watching at a distance. You got people talking.

WELL DONE!!!

Thank you, and reps for the post!

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky

WELL DONE!!!

Thank you so much for that. your story pretty much made my day

Top Bottom