• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    That's right, sold off their gold and silver positions at the heights, to buy into stocks.
    Lowering gold & silver from the selling, raising stocks due to the buying.

Look for more volitility in both commodities & stocks over the next few weeks as the news cycle dictates.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I've been wanting to convert (sell/buy) some silver to gold for the last year or so and was hoping silver would outpace gold a bit more. But the ratio has stayed in that 78-79 range, now a little better at 76ish. I guess it is time to be patient and wait & see.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been wanting to convert (sell/buy) some silver to gold for the last year or so and was hoping silver would outpace gold a bit more. But the ratio has stayed in that 78-79 range, now a little better at 76ish. I guess it is time to be patient and wait & see.
    What's your sweet spot on the ratio, where it starts to make sense to convert?

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Market started off with a little bump, then flopped.

I don't think the GSR is optimal for swapping right now. 40 or better would be a good number.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    What's your sweet spot on the ratio, where it starts to make sense to convert?
    It depends. If you look what I call the Maple Eagle ratio, it was around 55:1 to 65:1 this morning. That is the ratio of the price of a silver Eagle/Maple versus a gold one. However I plan to sell off a variety of 5oz and 10oz silver bars which reasonably should have a higher ratio when going for sovereign coins. Historically the ratio has run in the low 50s to the upper 60s I think. If it gets to 70 or under I think that will be when I get serious.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It depends. If you look what I call the Maple Eagle ratio, it was around 55:1 to 65:1 this morning. That is the ratio of the price of a silver Eagle/Maple versus a gold one. However I plan to sell off a variety of 5oz and 10oz silver bars which reasonably should have a higher ratio when going for sovereign coins. Historically the ratio has run in the low 50s to the upper 60s I think. If it gets to 70 or under I think that will be when I get serious.
    You'd definitely get a different result for the ratio when calculating it for premium items.
    Okay, so it's not necessarily based on "spot" price alone. The type of silver/gold comes into play too? Most all of my silver is generic rounds, other than some Britannias. My only gold is a 1 oz. bar.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Okay, so it's not necessarily based on "spot" price alone. The type of silver/gold comes into play too? Most all of my silver is generic rounds, other than some Britannias. My only gold is a 1 oz. bar.
    Well spot is a consistent measure to track the relationship of the two. i am looking more at a real world scenario where I am either trading various types of silver for gold or selling to buy the same. I just looked at Provident and the cheapest 1oz gold bar/round was $2,022.69. Cheapest silver bar/round was $28.67. So that ratio is +/-71:1. So in my screwy brain...

76:1 is the current spot ratio which serves as a consistent track.

+/-60:1 is the reasonable ratio for trading sovereign silver for sovereign gold.

+/-70:1 is the reasonable ratio for trading generic silver for generic gold.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well spot is a consistent measure to track the relationship of the two. i am looking more at a real world scenario where I am either trading various types of silver for gold or selling to buy the same. I just looked at Provident and the cheapest 1oz gold bar/round was $2,022.69. Cheapest silver bar/round was $28.67. So that ratio is +/-71:1. So in my screwy brain...

76:1 is the current spot ratio which serves as a consistent track.

+/-60:1 is the reasonable ratio for trading sovereign silver for sovereign gold.

+/-70:1 is the reasonable ratio for trading generic silver for generic gold.
    I paid $1875.48 for my gold bar from Provident on 1/27/22, so I guess I'm doing okay!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    26 easy. Next week. 50 maybe depending on how bad the economy tanks.

Even if it does our dollar is worth that much less also. Still better than loosing that money setting in a bank. People still want US dollars

I think since Covid start I am dollar averaged under maybe 19.50 per one ounce coin. Could be a little less. I have an older stack also but we shall leave that one out of the equation. I bought a large amount at spot of 18.20 from a guy who threw that into crypto.

I have it currently at spot of 25.86. With my 19.50 being all purchase before last April.
    So I see inflation level at 24.6 over the year/2 years if you just rate it as what I buy silver for as an inflation hedge. I wonder if the silver inflation hedge numbers are close to the real numbers that nobody wants to admit.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    26 easy. Next week. 50 maybe depending on how bad the economy tanks.

Even if it does our dollar is worth that much less also. Still better than loosing that money setting in a bank. People still want US dollars

I think since Covid start I am dollar averaged under maybe 19.50 per one ounce coin. Could be a little less. I have an older stack also but we shall leave that one out of the equation. I bought a large amount at spot of 18.20 from a guy who threw that into crypto.

I have it currently at spot of 25.86. With my 19.50 being all purchase before last April.
    So I see inflation level at 24.6 over the year/2 years if you just rate it as what I buy silver for as an inflation hedge. I wonder if the silver inflation hedge numbers are close to the real numbers that nobody wants to admit.
    I got into the game late, but I'm very close to being at spot now for all my silver I think (in other words, I've gained back my premiums on most and a little more on some), and I bought my single oz. of gold at below current spot, so all in all I'm pretty happy.

Top Bottom