• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Quarantine and isolation of the ill, not the healthy. This a long but good read. But some of you won't read it and comment anyway. :cool:

The 1918 Influenza Pandemic: [FONT=&amp]The more restrictive methods of infection control issued by public health departments were quarantines and the isolation of the ill. These measures required a sacrifice of individual liberty for the societal good and therefore required a strong public health authority.

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/fluresponse.html
    [/FONT]
    Why not respond to this like we would a flu epidemic?

1. It's not the flu and doesn't "behave" like the flu.
    2. The flu is only contagious for a short period of time before the onset of symptoms, not so with COVID.
    3. The flu symptoms come on strong and fast... from the first "maybe I'm coming down with the flu" to "I feel like ****" is a few hours, with COVID it's days, weeks, or never.
    4. With the flu, if you wait for a massive outbreak at say a school, then shut that school down, the outbreak is contained within a day or two and school can resume within a week, normally. Do that with COVID and it's already spread throughout the whole comminity, not just the school community, and it takes at least a month if not two of complete lockdowns to contain. Remember March?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...ose-coronavirus-restrictions-in-most-counties

Called it. He lied when he said no new lockdown was coming just like he lied when he said no mask mandate was coming. Good little RINO Holcomb following the crowd.

“Unfortunately, too many of us, and around the country, have let our guards down, and either assumed we won’t get it or if we do, so be it, we’ll get through it, without any more universal consideration to what these multiplying numbers have on others and our system of care,” he said.

"You were bad so now I'm gonna paddle you". He views us as children to be disciplined and controlled, not free citizens. :rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

2. The flu is only contagious for a short period of time before the onset of symptoms, not so with COVID.
    3. The flu symptoms come on strong and fast... from the first "maybe I'm coming down with the flu" to "I feel like ****" is a few hours, with COVID it's days, weeks, or never.
    4. With the flu, if you wait for a massive outbreak at say a school, then shut that school down, the outbreak is contained within a day or two and school can resume within a week, normally. Do that with COVID and it's already spread throughout the whole comminity, not just the school community, and it takes at least a month if not two of complete lockdowns to contain. Remember March?

Man there is so much I would love to "SHARE" with you but I and others have tried and you are steadfast with the :lala: and refuse to hear or even try to understand.
    I want to live my life in the fullest. You want to live yours in fear. As do so many others I see daily. Fine. Live yours. But I fully intend to live mine. As I see it not as you or some RINO stooge does.

Yes I care. But that will not stop me from moving freely about and living my life.
    And please for God's sake do not use the "Oh you are going to kill my gramma" crap on me OK.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Heard an interesting interview with a doctor today who was poo-pooing the surge in positive tests due to the way we're testing. His contention was that we're overamplifying the RNA, resulting in positives.

More detail here, though you have to pick through the "yay! quarrantine!" stuff.

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/11/pcr-test-too-sensitive

The PCR test analyzes samples by amplifying viral RNA in cycles. Most tests, like the Broad Institute test used by MIT, use a 40-cycle protocol. If the virus isn’t detected within 40 amplification cycles, the test result is negative. If viral RNA is detected in 40 cycles or less, the PCR machine stops running, and the test is positive. Because you received a positive result, we know that the test detected the virus in your sample by the time it reached its 40-cycle limit.

But as we learn more, this binary way of viewing test results — positive/negative, infected/not infected — may change. After all, the amount of virus in a sample is directly correlated with the number of amplification cycles needed to detect it, a number known as its cycle threshold (Ct). A positive test that comes back positive in 20 cycles contains a greater amount of virus than one requiring 40 cycles. Right now, we just call both results “positive.” But it’s obvious that the first sample came from an individual with a higher viral load. And the greater the viral load, the more contagious the patient is likely to be.

There is some evidence that Ct values may be useful in predicting patients’ infectiousness and prognosis, but we’re not yet at the point where it makes sense for us to include that information in our decision-making process at MIT, says Associate Medical Director Shawn Ferullo. For one thing, Ct values are not absolute. Different machines can produce different Ct values for the same sample, and the same machine can give different Ct values for different samples from the same person. “While it may be useful to know if an individual’s Ct value is on the high or low end of the scale,” Ferullo says, “based on our current knowledge, it would not change quarantine or self-isolation recommendations.”

At this point, Ct value is not included in the test results MIT Medical receives, and we have no way of obtaining that information. “While we can’t know the Ct value associated with your test or any other,” Ferullo says, “we can be pretty sure that your test result is a true positive. But it may be a subclinical case, meaning that your viral load is so low that you are not infectious and cannot spread the virus to other people, including those in your immediate household — which is a good thing!”

More here:https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/09/01/covid-tests

Crash7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2020
    IN
    Perhaps call state representatives? You know, the people that are supposed to “represent” us?

Not sure if that should be purple or not. Sigh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

We had a complete lockdown in March? No I don’t remember that. I remember people panicking and stacked like cordwood in Walmart and gas stations fighting over toilet paper and a box of Mac-n-cheese cause the state closed sit down restaurants, nail salon and the barbershop.

bhoostal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2020
    Allen County
    Amen

~ Brian
    Man there is so much I would love to "SHARE" with you but I and others have tried and you are steadfast with the :lala: and refuse to hear or even try to understand.
    I want to live my life in the fullest. You want to live yours in fear. As do so many others I see daily. Fine. Live yours. But I fully intend to live mine. As I see it not as you or some RINO stooge does.

Yes I care. But that will not stop me from moving freely about and living my life.
    And please for God's sake do not use the "Oh you are going to kill my gramma" crap on me OK.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Crunching the numbers from the ISDH website...the state of Indiana is down 792 ICU beds worth of capacity on 11 Nov compared to 1 May, with almost 200 more confirmed COVID patients in ICU.

32.5% of all confirmed COVID hospitalizations are in ICU.

If the state regained those 792 lost ICU beds in total ICU capacity, we'd be within 20 of total available ICU beds on 1 May.

Screenshot 2020-11-13 11.15.20.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Talked to my pastor and he said we've had more members come down with COVID this past month than all the previous months combined.

But are they truly infected. Truly.

Knowing a lot of folks who have had to stay home due to someone close at work testing positive. They stay home and miss all that work. Take in in the backside financially and the person showing positive has zero symptoms. NADA.

WTFU people.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    icu.png

ICU bed availability was 26.3% yesterday. Today it is 23.5%. Covid use has increased from 30% to 30.9%.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the people laying in ICU are somewhat symptomatic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    icu.png

ICU bed availability was 26.3% yesterday. Today it is 23.5%. Covid use has increased from 30% to 30.9%.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the people laying in ICU are somewhat symptomatic.

Agreed. But who are these folks. Are they the older and health impaired. Curious here not bashing.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Agreed. But who are these folks. Are they the older and health impaired. Curious here not bashing.

The State of Indiana has so far refused to provide average ages of hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths...but IMO much can be inferred from the data they will provide.

Screenshot-2020-11-13-06-42-55.png

Screenshot-2020-11-13-06-42-48.png

An IU Health study showed that way back on 29 April, the average age of COVID death in Indiana was 76.9 years old; there's no reason to think that has substantially changed as of today.

The State of Massachusetts provides the most comprehensive COVID data of any state in the country; their average age of hospitalization is 67 and average age of death is 80.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The State of Indiana has so far refused to provide average ages of hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths...but IMO much can be inferred from the data they will provide.

Screenshot-2020-11-13-06-42-55.png

Screenshot-2020-11-13-06-42-48.png

An IU Health study showed that way back on 29 April, the average age of COVID death in Indiana was 76.9 years old; there's no reason to think that has substantially changed as of today.

The State of Massachusetts provides the most comprehensive COVID data of any state in the country; their average age of hospitalization is 67 and average age of death is 80.

So not much has changed.

If you look at this through clear lenses it gives me that WTAF moment.

Top Bottom