• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My whole point/ ? is.......will 'rifle plates' STOP.......a high-power'd round....7.62 X .39..... .308......etc......
    I think you are asking if rifle plates will stop x39, the answer is yes. A LVL IV plate will also stop x51 and .06 I would only personally buy LVL IV stand alone plates, and not the ICW types, but that's just me.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I think you are asking if rifle plates will stop x39, the answer is yes. A LVL IV plate will also stop x51 and .06

:yesway:.......Thanks......
    (install'd some level 5 ballistic doors las' winter......5'-0" doubles...8" tall....doors weigh'd 835 lbs EACH......s'POSE ta stop ALL .30 cal rounds......be a tossup on'a .338's, I think.....:dunno:)

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Welcome to Chicago, Detroit, New York. Indianapolis is in the top 15 cities. Again I will say I worked in all the "rough" areas years ago. it has gotten worse and has expanded to take up nearly the whole east side, Ripple, etc. Soon the entire county will be a war zone and we move up from the number 15 spot. At 30th and Hillside I witnessed my first ever beating and abduction in broad daylight. My guess is he deserved it for some reason, but it was viscous. Now then since nothing has improved in over 30 years maybe we need a different type of leadership who will actually do something. Ballard should know by now where the problems are and Hite should know by now where and who the problems are, same for Mr. Sheriff. The 10 Point coagulation isn't cutting it but they sure look cool on the news EVERY FREAKIN WEEK. I guess it's time to get real and tell our leaders they are not doing a good job. Again folks Indianapolis is number 15 Hite came from Baltimore number 6 he wanted the job now I think he needs to man up and do it. Same for the others. Enough is enough it's bleeding over into the other counties also, so they are either part of the problem or the solution. Indy is number 15 in the USA for murders it needs to be shouted to Ballard so he understands. Prayers to the family and salute to Officer Renn RIP sir. We are in a war in case no one has figured it out. A war with weak leadership. I have also gone up in calibers, capacity and now have a " FOR-TAY " as a back up in my vehicle. A forty for a back up is that sad or what ? Now I'm just pissed and it's turning into a rant Focker out.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Thanks for the answer.
    Do you know what's the proportion of officers who decide to buy their own?
    I guess AR500 plates offer cheap protection for those officers.
    Maybe not that usefull unless you know its a gun related call and you have time to take it out of your trunk and wear it. :dunno:

I would say that the number of officers that have purchased their own is pretty low.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Does IMPD place any restrictions on what you can and can't wear in terms of armor under your uniform? You mentioned some guys/gals have purchased their own. Are you aware of what they are running? Brand, model? I don't know much about armor and am curious what you can buy the stops rifle rounds and can be worn under a uniform.

I would say that the number of officers that have purchased their own is pretty low.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Does IMPD place any restrictions on what you can and can't wear in terms of armor under your uniform? You mentioned some guys/gals have purchased their own. Are you aware of what they are running? Brand, model? I don't know much about armor and am curious what you can buy the stops rifle rounds and can be worn under a uniform.

I'd gladly contribute to a fund to make sure our INGO officers have these!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I guess anything that would stop rifle rounds would be too bukly to wear under their uniform.
    Plus if they are steel plates it would be also too heavy to wear for the entire shift (20 pounds or more for 2 ar500 plates).

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I don't know what armor can be worn under a uniform that can stop rifle rounds. The department provides all officers with a Point Blank level II or IIa soft body armor. There is nothing in the uniform General Order that dictates what type or level of armor can or cannot be worn under the uniform shirt. I doubt the powers-that-be would be too keen on patrol officers wearing plate carriers on a regular basis. I know of a small number of officers that have purchased their own for active shooter situations.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

There is a program in the US (they even help officers overseas to get them) that will issue body armor to officer who dont get one issued by their department.
    I think they provide used vests from big departments who change them ever 5 years or so.
    Not sure if they provide rifle plate stuff though, probably just soft body armor. :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Oh God, I am sorry to hear this. Just logged back on after a weekend of downtime and I see this. :(
    That sucks.
    The people that act like this and commit these type acts need to be put through hell.
    The reckoning is long overdue.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North

I'd kick in what I can as well.

I have a buddy that has plates, but he keeps them in his patrol car door because they are too bulky (ceramics).

I don't know of any soft armor that will stop even FMJ .223. If I remember right LVL 3 hard plates will stop up to 308, which most of these skinbags aren't carrying over a 7.62x39.

There is a program in the US (they even help officers overseas to get them) that will issue body armor to officer who dont get one issued by their department.
    I think they provide used vests from big departments who change them ever 5 years or so.
    Not sure if they provide rifle plate stuff though, probably just soft body armor. :dunno:

We were sent some when I was overseas. They only sent soft armor though. I'd imagine any SAPI or balistic plates would be very burdensome under Uniform.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Thanks for the answer.
    Do you know what's the proportion of officers who decide to buy their own?
    I guess AR500 plates offer cheap protection for those officers.
    Maybe not that usefull unless you know its a gun related call and you have time to take it out of your trunk and wear it. :dunno:

I have a vest with 10x12 AR500 anti-spall plates that are level III that I keep in the trunk for SHTF. I have 8x10 AR500 level III anti-spall plates in my everyday armor carrier.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom