• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    While I am certainly against militarization, I don't expect you to be limited to a loincloth and a sharp stick either. That is a whole lot different from being literally ready for war as a standard operating procedure.
    We're well within our rights to walk around "ready for war", why shouldn't an officer be?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why am I feeling a sense of Twilight Zone all of a sudden? The management had a problem with you wearing a helmet while dealing with an evacuation under threat of a gunman believed to be in the building? You were scaring bystanders? Why the Hell were there bystanders in a situation believed to involve a gunman? Has the brass gone mad?

While I am certainly against militarization, I don't expect you to be limited to a loincloth and a sharp stick either. That is a whole lot different from being literally ready for war as a standard operating procedure.

Scaring the bystanders.....has the brass gone totally Vaginal......WTF.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can put on armor and walk around with a rifle if I want to. Therefore a LEO can too as far as I'm concerned.

But then again every time I see that debate come up those who carry rifles are blasted pretty heavily. So LEOs should be prepared to accept that same blasting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why aren't IMPD officers allowed to wear outer armor?

"Militarization" and public opinion. I was told it's up to the individual district commanders when I asked about it at the scene of Renn's shooting.

Why am I feeling a sense of Twilight Zone all of a sudden? The management had a problem with you wearing a helmet while dealing with an evacuation under threat of a gunman believed to be in the building? You were scaring bystanders? Why the Hell were there bystanders in a situation believed to involve a gunman? Has the brass gone mad?

Perhaps you understand where my "sissy" comment in the other thread came from. Its incredibly frustrating to be issued a helmet and told to use it as you feel appropriate, and then be 'talked to' when you use it. Its not worth it any longer. I feel sorry for the guys on the street who still have to put up with this nonsense.

There are bystanders because they can legally be there once they are outside of the crime scene tape.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you wasn't pissed about this incident before you will be now! WISH TV story about the POS family speaks out about the incident. We all knew about the prior incident with the father that resulted from him dying of a heart attack but I wasn't aware that Officer Renn was one of the officers listed in that incident report. Seems a little to ironic that this wasn't almost a setup? Maybe I'm just looking to much into it but it also makes me sick that the media airs the "he was a great guy" stories after these POS kill someone.

Murder suspect?s family speaks out about shooting | WISH-TV

Wow. We don't live in the same world.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can put on armor and walk around with a rifle if I want to. Therefore a LEO can too as far as I'm concerned.

But then again every time I see that debate come up those who carry rifles are blasted pretty heavily. So LEOs should be prepared to accept that same blasting.

Context. I have no problems with anyone carrying a rifle when the situation calls for it. Political rallies, hunting events, sporting purposes, etc. That's a logical and sensible reason to exercise your right to carry a long gun. Police carry of long guns also requires context.

I am not allowed to simply walk around with my patrol rifle. I have to have authorization from a supervisor or an exception based on explainable facts that fit the general order. I've had mine out maybe twice in the past year, and both times it was for stake outs of armed robbery suspects. In honestly, I believe that's a good rule. Its in the way for general police use. I've lived in countries where the police routinely carry long guns and it didn't bother me in the slightest, but they were usually on foot and didn't have to get in and of a car over and over.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We're well within our rights to walk around "ready for war", why shouldn't an officer be?

Yes and no. We cannot buy anything available to the police. We do not have surplus items, even non-offensive items of equipment THAT WE PAID FOR available to us that are given to the PD for the cost of shipping. Then, tell me, do you really think we could arm and armor up and move as a phalanx without attracting unwanted attention?

I do not have a problem with the use of armor. I do not have a problem with eliminating dangerous attackers. I do have a problem with the balance being shifted against the people.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    If you wasn't pissed about this incident before you will be now! WISH TV story about the POS family speaks out about the incident. We all knew about the prior incident with the father that resulted from him dying of a heart attack but I wasn't aware that Officer Renn was one of the officers listed in that incident report. Seems a little to ironic that this wasn't almost a setup? Maybe I'm just looking to much into it but it also makes me sick that the media airs the "he was a great guy" stories after these POS kill someone.

Murder suspect?s family speaks out about shooting | WISH-TV

:xmad:.....WHUT a CROCK o' SHIZZOLA! (they story)...."You don' know what they DO to him.....he scarred for LIFE.."......

?..........?.........apple don' fall from'a tree.....an'a tree's rootbound ta boot.....NONE 'ese people in perps clan got no r'spect fer Law Enforcement.....SAD.....:xmad:

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I'm in an investigative unit that deals with 90% violent felony warrant service and 10% surveillance, and was provided with a decent tactical/raid vest carrier and a shotgun. Thanks to another INGO member, I've purchased my own rifle plates. I've also had to purchase my own IFAK(s) and tourniquets and the associated training, and am able to use my own AR after being approved by the department. I have a helmet, although it could use a new retention harness. In sum, I use these items maybe 15-20% of the time.

With all that being said, departments are slow to train, and are often quick to over-react to the usage of equipment that is deemed too militant or scary. All of it has its place, and our guys use it accordingly. Most coppers know this and will spend good, hard-earned money to buy the equipment they need to get the job done.

I rarely come on INGO anymore, because prior to this weekend, so many times I logged on and saw the division between LE and everyone growing, with more cynicism and "us VS. them" sentiment growing each day. This murder of Officer Renn stands as the perfect example of contemporary law enforcement: A regular joe patrolman with average years of service and a solid, professional reputation that was simply doing his job, responding to a very routine call for service. He was murdered for simply being a police officer in a segment of society that cares not about humanity or consequences or rule of law. This is the vast majority of law enforcement officers across the country, the "Thin Blue Line" of brotherhood that exists to support each other in times like these.

Thank you all for the kind words of support for IMPD and our local emergency responders. As this discussion grows, please remember that those of us in law enforcement who are members here are always on your side, and are always here for you. I applaud the generosity of members here who want to help financially with equipment or other needs, since many of us can't afford needed equipment. Above all, please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers, as another kind word never hurts and only provides more armor than our vests can cover.

Jamie

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    :xmad:.....WHUT a CROCK o' SHIZZOLA! (they story)...."You don' know what they DO to him.....he scarred for LIFE.."......

?..........?.........apple don' fall from'a tree.....an'a tree's rootbound ta boot.....NONE 'ese people in perps clan got no r'spect fer Law Enforcement.....SAD.....:xmad:

And the family is worried about his reputation.
    Seems kinda late. Shoulda brought him up right, instead of a criminal.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The WISH-TV interviews with the shooter's family members absolutely infuriate me. I'm so ****ing mad I'd better just back away from my keyboard before I write something I will regret later.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Is it too early to ask what happened? Fox59 just announed Major Davis, Jr. was walking away from the police when the fight started.

Seems odd to me.

Police said Davis approached another officer on scene while being “obviously upset.”Davis refused to show his hands despite officers’ orders and walked away from the scene toward an alley, said police. As Davis was walking away, officers saw he was carrying an assault rifle, which led them to call for backup. Shortly after, officers heard several shots fired. Both Davis and Renn were found in the alley suffering from gunshot wounds. Police said witnesses reported seeing Davis fire shots at the officers and officers return fire.

Top Bottom