fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    its all good with me, just been busy with work and the boys nightly meltdowns from 5-7. He is tired and wants to eat, but won't hardly take a bottle... It gets pretty sporting!

man it is going quick, hell you might have fish in there Sunday!

:postpics:

I put some more ammonia in to feed the first set of bacteria while the second set grows....I'll get some pictures of the rock house when my oldest daughter stops fussing, hard to get stuff done.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I think it spends on which cichlids they are, some stay small (2-3") some get huge (12"+) I know all about cranky kids, I've got the iPhone in one hand, a bottle in the other, burgers on the stove and fries in the oven while my 13yo looks at me like I'm an idiot for asking her to help:xmad: actually she is a big help, but she has her moments!

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Any of you guys know if Petco or pet smart has any good black Friday or cyber Monday deals on pond pumps, canister filter, and/or LED light fixtures?

I don't know. We (Petco) end a sale ad cycle on the 23rd and IIRC there MIGHT be some new ad going up that night to start on the 24th but I haven't seen what might be in it. Typically starting this time of year is when the aquatic supplies start going on sale more then the dog supplies but they usually push tank kits or the dollar per gallon sale. My best suggestion would be to look on the website and then ask the store to price match if it's something they have in stock. We CAN do it unofficially. I did it for a coworker at my FT job a couple weeks ago on a dog crate.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I don't know. We (Petco) end a sale ad cycle on the 23rd and IIRC there MIGHT be some new ad going up that night to start on the 24th but I haven't seen what might be in it. Typically starting this time of year is when the aquatic supplies start going on sale more then the dog supplies but they usually push tank kits or the dollar per gallon sale. My best suggestion would be to look on the website and then ask the store to price match if it's something they have in stock. We CAN do it unofficially. I did it for a coworker at my FT job a couple weeks ago on a dog crate.

I'll keep that in mind....siliconing rocks together is messy, not sure how pretty it will be on the outside

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    As promised...

IMG_20131123_091754_998_zps8d9703a6.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    How many and what size will I need for a rainbow shark and 10 or so cichlids in a 55 gal?
    i would think at least 11 to give each fish it's own place to hide, but probably more so they have ample territory. You could do a whole wall of them, or intermix them with solid rock, real or fake.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    i would think at least 11 to give each fish it's own place to hide, but probably more so they have ample territory. You could do a whole wall of them, or intermix them with solid rock, real or fake.

I got on their live chat to figure out what size I needed, no help whatsoever. I know grown cichlids are usually around 6", maybe up to 8" but I yet to see how wide and tall they get. I want to buy them for the long term...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I think you'll be safe if you got a 3" hole, most fish won't swim into a hole they can't fit into, of course my gourami is an exception to the rule, the wife and to pull him out of a hole he wedged himself in in the driftwood.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I don't know, seems like the simplest way to do it to me?

I thinking about putting the stone house in the tank later today or tomorrow...oh yea, nitrites are still high, so no fish in this tank until that falls. I'm feeding the tank a tablespoon of pure ammonia until the cycle is complete. pH is still around 8...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I thinking about putting the stone house in the tank later today or tomorrow...oh yea, nitrites are still high, so no fish in this tank until that falls. I'm feeding the tank a tablespoon of pure ammonia until the cycle is complete. pH is still around 8...
    your ph will probably stay around 8, the higher he ph, the less prone to swings it is, which is good, ph swings can kill fish.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom