fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Sorry if I stepped on any of your toes concerning cycling the tank...I never thought about going to Kroger and buying just one shrimp. I'll pass on shrimp dinner..
    your not stepping on my toes bro. Like I said, it's your tank, if that's the way you want to do it, I'm not going to be mad or lose any sleep over it and I'll still be your friend. Hey, you need to check out Atlantis fish store in Terre haute, it's up maybe a mile from inland, they have a really nice selection of Africans, and some other crazy stuff in there to. I heard they used to have a lion they kept in the basement, I can't confirm such rumors at this time though:D

the tanks looking good with sand in it, like a rainy dust storm on a warm summer day :lmfao:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    your not stepping on my toes bro. Like I said, it's your tank, if that's the way you want to do it, I'm not going to be mad or lose any sleep over it and I'll still be your friend. Hey, you need to check out Atlantis fish store in Terre haute, it's up maybe a mile from inland, they have a really nice selection of Africans, and some other crazy stuff in there to. I heard they used to have a lion they kept in the basement, I can't confirm such rumors at this time though:D

the tanks looking good with sand in it, like a rainy dust storm on a warm summer day :lmfao:

Better cichlids selection then inland? I may have to make a 2 and a half hour drive...

That bad huh? I figured the water would have cleared after the sand been there all day...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    IMG_20131115_200856_337_zps141900a6.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Better cichlids selection then inland? I may have to make a 2 and a half hour drive...

That bad huh? I figured the water would have cleared after the sand been there all day...
    its 2 1/2 hours from Nashville??? Good grief! Are there any fish stores in Bloomington? Their selection was better, they are geared more toward freshwater, but they do have some salt. I just saw the pic on lunch today, but it's pretty normal for a sandstorm, just rinse your filter media to help get it cleaned out.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    its 2 1/2 hours from Nashville??? Good grief! Are there any fish stores in Bloomington? Their selection was better, they are geared more toward freshwater, but they do have some salt. I just saw the pic on lunch today, but it's pretty normal for a sandstorm, just rinse your filter media to help get it cleaned out.

ok, more like an hour and 45 mins...maybe more if there's traffic and road construction. You guys don't have to be mad at me, I've removed the goldfish and now performing a fishless cycle. I'm using pure ammonia and some filter medium from the 10 gal to get this tank cycled quickly(and now harmlessly).

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I've cycled all of my tanks with simple flake food.
    Take it for what it's worth.
    Good luck with it. It's a great hobby.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    ok, more like an hour and 45 mins...maybe more if there's traffic and road construction. You guys don't have to be mad at me, I've removed the goldfish and now performing a fishless cycle. I'm using pure ammonia and some filter medium from the 10 gal to get this tank cycled quickly(and now harmlessly).
    I'm not mad at you, glad you took the goldfish out though. Sounds like your on the right track:yesway:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I love the woman at Petsmart that acts like she won't sell me fish until I tell her how many I have, what kind, and what size tank... I know she is just thinking about the welfare of the fish, but jeez! I bought a couple mollies for my 30, she asks what else is in it, so I tell her an angel fish and a clown loach. She proceeds to show me their classification showing angelfish as semi aggressive and mollies as community and says that they can't be mixed because the angel could eat the mollies??? Of course at this point my wife just walks away, and I'm like its a 3" angelfish, not a freakin' LARGEMOUTH BASS!

That reaction is very very common. The key word there is COULD. They COULD be fine and as long as YOU know what COULD happen....good enough for me. I admit I do laugh inside at guys wanting aggressive fish..everything the store I work at sells would be a feeder at my house lol

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    That reaction is very very common. The key word there is COULD. They COULD be fine and as long as YOU know what COULD happen....good enough for me. I admit I do laugh inside at guys wanting aggressive fish..everything the store I work at sells would be a feeder at my house lol
    but see, my angelfish is big and old, and his mouth has never opened big enough to swallow one of my mollies. I don't want aggressive fish, hell, if I wanted aggressive I'd get a lionfish for my salt tank and feed him mollies, but that's not really my thing. My angel owns the piece of driftwood, and he rents the bottom out to krusty the clown loach, as long as the other fish don't get over there screwing around pecking algae off of it, he doesn't bother them.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    thinking 10 cichlids...that, one otto catfish, and my rainbow shark should put me just above inch/gal rule...still researching what cichlids to get.
    Be careful with that inch/gallon rule, it's misleading. 10 1" guppies will put out as much waste as 1 5" Oscar.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Not really wanting overly aggressive fish, I want active fish...and I'm smitten by african cichlids.

but see, my angelfish is big and old, and his mouth has never opened big enough to swallow one of my mollies. I don't want aggressive fish, hell, if I wanted aggressive I'd get a lionfish for my salt tank and feed him mollies, but that's not really my thing. My angel owns the piece of driftwood, and he rents the bottom out to krusty the clown loach, as long as the other fish don't get over there screwing around pecking algae off of it, he doesn't bother them.

I keep trying to come up with some decor that fits the cichlids natural habitat.... have any suggestions?

Be careful with that inch/gallon rule, it's misleading. 10 1" guppies will put out as much waste as 1 5" Oscar.

I know its a flawed rule, I use it for a general guidelines on how many cichlids are too many...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Not really wanting overly aggressive fish, I want active fish...and I'm smitten by african cichlids.

I keep trying to come up with some decor that fits the cichlids natural habitat.... have any suggestions?

I know its a flawed rule, I use it for a general guidelines on how many cichlids are too many...
    most African tanks I see are basically rock walls, I think mostly for the fish to hide and diffuse aggression. They make those 3D backgrounds that look like rock, and they make fake rocks so you don't have to stack 200lbs of rock in your tank. I'm not sure what the habitat they live in looks like, I don't have much experiance with Africans. This thread is starting to sound like a human trafficking situation:lmfao:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers

Exactly. Could is not an absolute. Therefore don't assume that Angels and Mollies can't get along in the same tank. 2 of my 3 tanks eat live feeders 1-2x a week. One tank has small mouths that need small food. An average Molly would be safe in that tank. My big tank has a big mouth in it. A Molly would be toast. Every tank is different and the dynamics in each tank are different. The Petsmart lady is basing her "expertise" on a chart. Petco has a similar chart. I haven't referenced it in years because each situation is different. That's all I'm saying.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom