fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Exactly. Could is not an absolute. Therefore don't assume that Angels and Mollies can't get along in the same tank. 2 of my 3 tanks eat live feeders 1-2x a week. One tank has small mouths that need small food. An average Molly would be safe in that tank. My big tank has a big mouth in it. A Molly would be toast. Every tank is different and the dynamics in each tank are different. The Petsmart lady is basing her "expertise" on a chart. Petco has a similar chart. I haven't referenced it in years because each situation is different. That's all I'm saying.
    I understand what you meant and I didn't mean to come off as being snippy, sorry if I came off that way. I just figured she would look at the angels, look at the mollies and think nope, not gonna fit, but I guess not. I actually got a chuckle out of it. I just wish they gave them a little common sense training, like don't put angelfish in a 10, or don't add 7 fish at once, instead of that fish is semi aggressive so it can't go in the tank with community fish. One lady there knows her stuff, but most don't know much more about the fish than their names.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I understand what you meant and I didn't mean to come off as being snippy, sorry if I came off that way. I just figured she would look at the angels, look at the mollies and think nope, not gonna fit, but I guess not. I actually got a chuckle out of it. I just wish they gave them a little common sense training, like don't put angelfish in a 10, or don't add 7 fish at once, instead of that fish is semi aggressive so it can't go in the tank with community fish. One lady there knows her stuff, but most don't know much more about the fish than their names.

You didn't. I just know how the internet is and I try to avoid any trace of misunderstanding. My ex MIL worked for Petsmart and I still work for Petco. The training is hit or miss at best. She asked me once (in front of her customer) if he needed a filter for an alligator....and yes, she was in the animal care department. The store I'm at hasn't had anyone really touching aquatics since I stepped down the beginning of October so good luck finding anyone who knows anything beyond whatever is on the fish label. That's not the priority. Selling stuff and making money is.

Good deal...any pictures of your tanks?

I have tons of pictures. They're not African cichlids though lol. I've never figured out how to post pictures in the posts so I'll add some to a photo album on my profile.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Any of you guys know if Petco or pet smart has any good black Friday or cyber Monday deals on pond pumps, canister filter, and/or LED light fixtures?

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Damn you guys, now I'm wanting to set up another tank or two. I've got a 40 long that i was going to set up in the back room, but I need to re do the floor back there first. Maybe I'll stick it in the kitchen instead.

What I have set up is about a 47 gallon with 2 comet goldfish (feeders), one fantail, a koi, and a zebra guppy or something like that. (about the size of a neon tetra) I like goldfish because they are hardy and can withstand bad conditions to a point. the koi has doubled in size since I bought him, he's got to be six or seven inches long now.

This is the first time I've had sand in a tank. You can smooth it out all you want, but the fish will kick it up and move it. And because of the size of the fish, most of my decorations have fallen over and the smaller ones are partly buried.

I've never heard of cycling the tank. I've always set up the tank, let the water circulate for a couple weeks, then add a couple feeder fish for a few weeks to build up some bacteria, and by then I usually toss in a few more feeders and see how big I can grow them.

If I already have a tank set up, I take some gravel out of the established tank and toss it in the new tank to kick start the bacteria. I do that right up front after I fill it, so there's a couple weeks to multiply and take care of water conditions. I haven't had a fish die yet.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Any of you guys know if Petco or pet smart has any good black Friday or cyber Monday deals on pond pumps, canister filter, and/or LED light fixtures?
    I'm not sure Caleb, normally they advertise it on tv, but I haven't seen anything yet. Have you looked on the websites? I know Petsmart usually has some deals.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Posted this early? Most retailers wait till right up on thanksgiving. I'm really needing some better filters...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ammonia is 4 ppm, nitrite is 2+ ppm, nitrate is 40+ ppm

Being gone the last three days, my oto catfish devoloped a white spot on its top fin...any ideas?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Hmm... There's a lot of things it could be, is it like a pimple, or is it more like dry skin? Or does it look like a fluffy cotton patch? He could have just scratched it and it's the slime coat build up to protect it.

sounds like the cycle is coming along nicely!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    IMG_20131120_222026_397_zpse979ab18.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Caleb I'm going to guess he got scraped on something or your betta got hungry while you were at the baby factory? Those Otto cats are cool, but I can't ever get them to live more than a few days, then it seems like I lose 2-3 other fish a couple days later! It is however, my fault because I never quarintine anything. Gotta change that when I get the salt tank running.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Caleb I'm going to guess he got scraped on something or your betta got hungry while you were at the baby factory? Those Otto cats are cool, but I can't ever get them to live more than a few days, then it seems like I lose 2-3 other fish a couple days later! It is however, my fault because I never quarintine anything. Gotta change that when I get the salt tank running.

My betta been dead for a few weeks now...my Otto catfish and my rainbow shark were the only two in the 10 gal...I have seen the rainbow shark chase the Otto catfish once...

Those are good numbers! The ammonia bacteria are coming online, in a couple more weeks you'll be ready to drop a fish in!

As fast as its going, I'm guessing end of next week thanks to seeding and heavy dose of pure ammonia.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Its ok...how's it going with you?
    its all good with me, just been busy with work and the boys nightly meltdowns from 5-7. He is tired and wants to eat, but won't hardly take a bottle... It gets pretty sporting!

ammonia is 0.25 ppm, nitrites is 5+ ppm, nitrates is 160 ppm, pH is 8
    man it is going quick, hell you might have fish in there Sunday!

Starting on some rock houses, these would be trial and error...
    :postpics:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom