fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    that bulb looks like a 25k bulb! I don't know, considering your only running 2 24" bulbs, LEDs might not save much money, your easiest option may just be to stick with what you have, unless of course your just feeling like building something?

I like the idea of those rapidLED's...that will wait till a bigger tank.

IMG_20131114_112121_641_zps18f594c3.jpg

Filter clean and new filter medium installed....now to get some ammonia rockin'!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    should I cycle the tank before adding sand?
    No, you'll want to drain the water and add your sand and rock, that's where your bacteria are going to live. Try throwing in a small piece of raw shrimp when you add water back in, it will decay and breakdown, and you'll go through the nitrogen cycle faster with something putting off ammonia like that.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    No, you'll want to drain the water and add your sand and rock, that's where your bacteria are going to live. Try throwing in a small piece of raw shrimp when you add water back in, it will decay and breakdown, and you'll go through the nitrogen cycle faster with something putting off ammonia like that.

I dumped a whole small container of betta food to kickstart it...would raw shrimp work better? I hate to buy a bunch of raw shrimp, not sure if my fish would eat them.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Stop. Slow down a little. Ok, don't add fish until you cycle is over, it will over stress the fish, if not likely kill them. You can take the shrimp out, and you only need a small piece, you just want something in there to breakdown and create ammonia. You need to test your water periodically through this, assume 6 week period, for an ammonia spike, then nitrite spike, then look for 0 ammonia. Once that happens, add 1 fish, let it sit for a week or two to build up the bacteria population, then you can add a couple more, but slowly, patience is key here. You can use the bacteria in a bottle to jump start it a little, but make sure it's ready. Adding fish to soon is like riding in a car with no windows and everybody smokes, sure you'll survive, but it's not going to be any fun!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Stop. Slow down a little. Ok, don't add fish until you cycle is over, it will over stress the fish, if not likely kill them. You can take the shrimp out, and you only need a small piece, you just want something in there to breakdown and create ammonia. You need to test your water periodically through this, assume 6 week period, for an ammonia spike, then nitrite spike, then look for 0 ammonia. Once that happens, add 1 fish, let it sit for a week or two to build up the bacteria population, then you can add a couple more, but slowly, patience is key here. You can use the bacteria in a bottle to jump start it a little, but make sure it's ready. Adding fish to soon is like riding in a car with no windows and everybody smokes, sure you'll survive, but it's not going to be any fun!

I planned on this tank taking 4 weeks or so to cycle, I'll be keeping tabs on where I am during the cycling. Should I add the sand before the cycle kicks in?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I would, the bacteria will colonize the sand. Personally I would put everything in that I could before I added water. It will make more area for bacteria, and it's easier to stack rock when it's dry.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It would be a tad cruel to toss in a living being to sacrifice to die when a piece of dead shrimp will do the same, Caleb.

My betta fish did just fine, I really don't want to spend money on raw shrimp my fish may or may not eat. I'm sure it can't be any worse then 200 goldfish in a 40 gal breeder at LFS. In a sense, I'm removing these fish from that horrible environment, and he won't have to worry about getting eaten by a bigger fish.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    My betta fish did just fine, I really don't want to spend money on raw shrimp my fish may or may not eat. I'm sure it can't be any worse then 200 goldfish in a 40 gal breeder at LFS. In a sense, I'm removing these fish from that horrible environment, and he won't have to worry about getting eaten by a bigger fish.

Bettas also have a labyrinth, meaning they can breathe air directly from the surface of the water, which is why they can withstand higher ammonia levels that would kill other fish. A true nitrogen cycle in a tank WILL kill everything living within the tank when it cycles. Ammonia WILL spike high enough to kill everything before the de-nitrifying bacteria colonize the tank. The shrimp is not for your fish to eat, but to kickstart decay and to introduce ammonia into the system. It does the goldfish no good to be rescued from overcrowding when it winds up dead in your home. I really don't know how to spell this out any more clearly. I have nothing else to say. Good luck.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Bettas also have a labyrinth, meaning they can breathe air directly from the surface of the water, which is why they can withstand higher ammonia levels that would kill other fish. A true nitrogen cycle in a tank WILL kill everything living within the tank when it cycles. Ammonia WILL spike high enough to kill everything before the de-nitrifying bacteria colonize the tank. The shrimp is not for your fish to eat, but to kickstart decay and to introduce ammonia into the system. It does the goldfish no good to be rescued from overcrowding when it winds up dead in your home. I really don't know how to spell this out any more clearly. I have nothing else to say. Good luck.
    Caleb I really have to echo what Roland said. It used to be common practice to use cheap fish to cycle a tank, but it's not really needed. You can put the shrimp in on a plate if you'd like, and just remove it when your cycle is over. However, it is your tank, and you do as you see fit. I'm not going to not be your friend or judge you for it, it just wouldn't be the direction I would personally go.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Wow... I am going to have to read up on cycling a tank - never knew of such a thing.
    It's really pretty simple mike, and yet, pretty involved to. It can get pretty scientific, but really here's how it works, bacteria A converts deadly ammonia into less deadly nitrite, bacteria B converts somewhat deadly nitrite into mostly harmless nitrate. That's where you come in. We do water changes to keep the nitrate low, it's not really harmful to the fish, but algae will grow like crazy with high nitrates. In an ideal world (tank) ammonia and nitrite will always be 0 because we haven't overstocked our tanks, over fed, and we added fish slowly waiting on the bacteria to colonize to handle the fish add to the tank, but it's not a perfect world :D

Damn im im insightful when I'm half asleep...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Caleb I really have to echo what Roland said. It used to be common practice to use cheap fish to cycle a tank, but it's not really needed. You can put the shrimp in on a plate if you'd like, and just remove it when your cycle is over. However, it is your tank, and you do as you see fit. I'm not going to not be your friend or judge you for it, it just wouldn't be the direction I would personally go.

Suppose you are right....any way to just buy a shrimp instead of a whole package?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It's really pretty simple mike, and yet, pretty involved to. It can get pretty scientific, but really here's how it works, bacteria A converts deadly ammonia into less deadly nitrite, bacteria B converts somewhat deadly nitrite into mostly harmless nitrate. That's where you come in. We do water changes to keep the nitrate low, it's not really harmful to the fish, but algae will grow like crazy with high nitrates. In an ideal world (tank) ammonia and nitrite will always be 0 because we haven't overstocked our tanks, over fed, and we added fish slowly waiting on the bacteria to colonize to handle the fish add to the tank, but it's not a perfect world :D

Damn im im insightful when I'm half asleep...
    Thank you - taking notes :).

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Suppose you are right....any way to just buy a shrimp instead of a whole package?
    Krogers sells fresh shrimp at the meat and seafood counter, I'm sure you can just buy 1, heck if they have a small piece they cut off or something they might just give it to you... Or you can have grilled shrimp for dinner?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Krogers sells fresh shrimp at the meat and seafood counter, I'm sure you can just buy 1, heck if they have a small piece they cut off or something they might just give it to you... Or you can have grilled shrimp for dinner?

Sorry if I stepped on any of your toes concerning cycling the tank...I never thought about going to Kroger and buying just one shrimp. I'll pass on shrimp dinner..

Top Bottom