fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Ok, DIY is cool if you can do it and you don't have to worry about it constantly, otherwise, I'd just buy one. Honestly, I'd go for the marineland canister. I'm sure it's a no frills basic deal, but you can always upgrade later. There's no point in getting a $300 canister when all you need is a $75. Check the chain petstores for sales, and don't forget the clearence stuff, you never know what you'll find. The pump, I don't know. I don't think I'd use it on my tank, even a drop of that stuff will likely kill your bacteria for a long time. No point in risking the life of your livestock. Walmart has cheap filters that will work until you start putting fish in.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I siliconed the shaft assembly together, and it works. I was thinking a mag drive 7, and a DIY can...I'll scope out pet stores and see if I can find a deal...

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Curious question here... Why not just take some black vinyl and attach it to the back of the tank?

Same stuff you'd put on the window of your car [i.e. normally you'd have it cut into a design].

This way if you want to remove it - you can just grab a corner and peel it off - may take a little effort but less than removing paint.

That said - am settled into the new house but my fish tank budget went towards $800 worth of unexpected repairs on the new house :(.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Curious question here... Why not just take some black vinyl and attach it to the back of the tank?

Same stuff you'd put on the window of your car [i.e. normally you'd have it cut into a design].

This way if you want to remove it - you can just grab a corner and peel it off - may take a little effort but less than removing paint.

That said - am settled into the new house but my fish tank budget went towards $800 worth of unexpected repairs on the new house :(.

You can if you don't suck at applying vinyl

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You can if you don't suck at applying vinyl
    It's not that hard... I'd get a sheet a little bigger than needed - peel off a corner and then apply as I remove the backing - it's not terribly hard to do :). Once done - cut off the excess with a razor. This way you don't have to be perfect and if you mis-align a little you won't have to try to re-apply.

Most vinyl designed for this purpose has a backing designed to make application easy :).

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It's not that hard... I'd get a sheet a little bigger than needed - peel off a corner and then apply as I remove the backing - it's not terribly hard to do :). Once done - cut off the excess with a razor. This way you don't have to be perfect and if you mis-align a little you won't have to try to re-apply.

Most vinyl designed for this purpose has a backing designed to make application easy :).

Sounds like you done it before....how do you prevent trapped air bubbles?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Sounds like you done it before....how do you prevent trapped air bubbles?
    I use a squeegee to apply the vinyl and if I find an air bubble as I'm applying - I peel it back a little and squeegee it out.

Don't apply the whole thing and then go looking for air-bubbles - get them out while you apply it :).

That said - worst case - take a needle and poke the bubble and squeeze the air out. The hole will be small enough that you shouldn't see it - and you can always take a small scrap piece of vinyl and put over it [since you won't be seeing the back of the tank] once you've done this if the hole is visible.

There are companies that vinyl entire cars and irregularly shaped objects so I'm sure you can get a sheet applied to a flat object if you take your time :).

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I use a squeegee to apply the vinyl and if I find an air bubble as I'm applying - I peel it back a little and squeegee it out.

Don't apply the whole thing and then go looking for air-bubbles - get them out while you apply it :).

That said - worst case - take a needle and poke the bubble and squeeze the air out. The hole will be small enough that you shouldn't see it - and you can always take a small scrap piece of vinyl and put over it [since you won't be seeing the back of the tank] once you've done this if the hole is visible.

There are companies that vinyl entire cars and irregularly shaped objects so I'm sure you can get a sheet applied to a flat object if you take your time :).

Ok...I'm interested now. Have any idea where to get them locally and for how much?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ok...I'm interested now. Have any idea where to get them locally and for how much?
    Vinyl is a common material - but unfortunately I couldn't tell you where to get it because I've always gotten it through friends of friends that had extra laying around :).

You can order it online cheap - but I'm sure many places locally would carry it - just not sure where you would look.

Hopefully somebody else will know!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    good idea...do I need to lay tank on side to apply the vinyl?
    nope, you just have to have room to work on it. Anytime I've done vinyl on cars I always spray a water/dish soap solution on whatever the vinyl is going on so you can move it around a little, then put it on and squeegee the hell out of it.

you might get in touch with Robby, the mod here, he works for a sign shop, he could probably give you an idea of where to go also.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'll send him a message in a bit...working on supper.

Man, wish Roland would come back...I enjoyed his posts...

Top Bottom