• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Exactly, except there is also a possibility of improved treatment without getting all the way to a vaccine or a cure. An improved treatment is most likely to come sooner than the other two.

Agreed. If I have to get it, and I'm one of the unlucky ones who get really sick, I want them to know as much as possible about treating me. Even more I want to know how much of a risk I would present to my wife in such a situation

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I get that this is the theory.

But I guess I'm curious about the number of people who get off the vent and make a meaningful recovery. We are assuming availability of ICU beds and vents saves a significant amount of lives. Does it?

Not sure about how meaningful the recovery is, but people who manage to get off the vent between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 (numbers I've seen are between 66% and 78% don't make it)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not sure about how meaningful the recovery is, but people who manage to get off the vent between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 (numbers I've seen are between 66% and 78% don't make it)
    Not that it is valid, or even true, I spoke with a St. Vincent’s ICU nurse the other day, her words were “ Nobody that went on a ventilator has lived” at her hospital. That’s fairly damning considering the questions I was asking. All age ranges, some with known precursors, some not, but a big underlying fact, most had or were close to having diabetes. She said some had it and didn’t even know, but the big takeaway was that no one that had been intubated, lived once on the vent? Take it for what you will, that is what she claimed.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ...I don't even know why this is a point of contention.

Do we seriously think that damaging the economy with indefinite stay-at-home orders is LESS damaging than whatever the death toll from actual earners would be?

And what is the guarantee that both don't happen?

Finally, I once again ask, how many of the 30-69 deaths were earners? If we are going to go down this path, this is relevant.

I tried to rep this but I was told I can't. 100% spot on.

As I see it we are in a panic running through the woods toward an economic cliff. At the bottom of the chasm is the economic destruction of our nation. Millions will be without jobs, and no jobs to come back to because the companies they worked for died. Every business can survive for only so long without revenue, period.

My great fear is this: that we will have already fallen off the cliff and be unable to stop the fall before we even realize that the cliff is getting close. It will be too late. We will be falling and no amount of work will bring us back - for decades.

And that economic disaster WILL cost lives! It will rip families apart. It could topple some governments.

Some will say I'm exaggerating, that I'm a drama queen, that lives are more important. What they don't want to face is that almost everyone (ie. 99%_ of the population) has some limit beyond which they cannot survive without revenue.

We don't even know how much damage each day of shutdown costs us! In Indiana alone how much? $100,000,000? $500,000,000? $2 BILLION? $10.95? We have no idea I think because no one wants to know those numbers, because then "You're mean. You're evil. You're putting profit over lives. Bull****!

You are 100% right, and no one (statistically speaking) wants to listen. Because fear of death from coronavirus today is more frightening than deaths caused by economic collapse tomorrow.

Regards,

Doug

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The first reaction to a loud noise is usually a bit of ducking. But, lots of things travel faster than sound, so ducking in many instances is futile. Even so, we still do it.

This isolation is a societal ducking. It's time to assess next steps.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    If we were out doing our jobs, not like normal, but with the knowledge that the virus was around and behaving accordingly, how many think they would have contracted COVID-19 and how many think they would not?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

We don't even know how much damage each day of shutdown costs us! In Indiana alone how much? $100,000,000? $500,000,000? $2 BILLION? $10.95? We have no idea I think because no one wants to know those numbers, because then "You're mean. You're evil. You're putting profit over lives. Bull****!

Indiana GDP in 2019 was just a bit over $1 billion per day. So that is what we would be looking at with a complete shutdown, which we obviously don't have.

What percentage is shut down? Hard to estimate from my vantage point. Someone else will have to figure that out.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://m.ziuanews.ro/revista-prese...grains-and-sugar-suspended-during-soe-1442224
    Interior Minister Marcel Vela announced on Thursday evening that exports of wheat, barley, oats, corn, rice, wheat flour, soybeans, seed oil and sugar are to be suspended during the state of emergency.

I did a quick check. Romania is 4th in wheat,3rd in corn,8th in barley,8th in rice,3rd in soybeans,5th in sugar(beets) in the EU.

58.7% of Romania is farm land according to UN trading economics.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    RO_area.jpg

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Ohio now will include people who show symptoms of having contracting the coronavirus but who have not been tested, said Michael Dohn, medical director, Public Health - Dayton & Montgomery County. The change in how patients will be counted doesn’t mean things are worse, he said, but it means health care professionals will get a better count of who is sick and has COVID-19, whether confirmed by a test or not.

https://www.whio.com/home/coronavirus-pandemic-what-you-need-know-today/JAA2PG3GLBEAZIZWHOABNFP2EM/

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If we were out doing our jobs, not like normal, but with the knowledge that the virus was around and behaving accordingly, how many think they would have contracted COVID-19 and how many think they would not?
    I haven’t stayed home during this, my family depends on MONEY coming in. I’ve yet to “catch” it, but that may be the internal sanitizer, but I don’t think it is really all it’s said to be if we don’t live on top of one another!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am

considering I’m still going to work, working around at least one person for my shift, not being able to “social distance “, fine so far. Only thing that has changed is one person with a pace maker quit over anxiety of possibly getting it. That is making scheduling fun. Of course we don’t interact with anyone but coworkers who are still working in the building.

my wife is an rn at a hospital, she still is working. Due to health history, she is not allowed to care for covid patients though.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    https://m.ziuanews.ro/revista-prese...grains-and-sugar-suspended-during-soe-1442224
    Interior Minister Marcel Vela announced on Thursday evening that exports of wheat, barley, oats, corn, rice, wheat flour, soybeans, seed oil and sugar are to be suspended during the state of emergency.

I did a quick check. Romania is 4th in wheat,3rd in corn,8th in barley,8th in rice,3rd in soybeans,5th in sugar(beets) in the EU.

58.7% of Romania is farm land according to UN trading economics.

Good :dunno: we have an abundance of Ag products in this country.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not that it is valid, or even true, I spoke with a St. Vincent’s ICU nurse the other day, her words were “ Nobody that went on a ventilator has lived” at her hospital. That’s fairly damning considering the questions I was asking. All age ranges, some with known precursors, some not, but a big underlying fact, most had or were close to having diabetes. She said some had it and didn’t even know, but the big takeaway was that no one that had been intubated, lived once on the vent? Take it for what you will, that is what she claimed.

So then why all the hub bub from Governor Cuomo about not having enough ventilators at his disposal? I mean, aside from the fact that his cries of not having enough have proven to be unnecessary, but if few recover after going on one, why bother?

ETA: I can only assume that the number of people who do recover after going on the vent is greater than zero. Just making the point about the noise coming from NY.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So then why all the hub bub from Governor Cuomo about not having enough ventilators at his disposal? I mean, aside from the fact that his cries of not having enough have proven to be unnecessary, but if few recover after going on one, why bother?

ETA: I can only assume that the number of people who do recover after going on the vent is greater than zero. Just making the point about the noise coming from NY.

I’ve read a more than one article relatively recently that is saying that the growing thinking by some is that ventilating patients for this is the wrong course of treatment. I’ll probably screw up the reasoning but it has something to do with the fact their lungs aren’t shutting down but that they’re simply not able to transfer oxygen to the blood. No matter how much pressure you crank the air up to, if the blood can’t move the oxygen to the organs, the person is screwed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom