Not open for further replies.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The bad part is those people that are playing the system will be the same ones to cry unfairness because they cut back on unemployment or food stamps. They don’t realize if they weren’t scamming the system the system would have more money for those programs to last longer or reach more people. I’m a firm believer in karma. It’ll come around eventually, and all the young people that don’t give a **** right now and are running around spreading it will be on the receiving end at some point.

It's my turn to have something nice.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    new IHME prediction is 857 dead in indiana. two days ago they estimated 1600.

that's less than five people per day through August. we have seven million in the state

I wonder what the multiplier will be between businesses destroyed to deaths. five businesses for every death? ten?

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

that's less than five people per day through August. we have seven million in the state

I wonder what the multiplier will be between businesses destroyed to deaths. five businesses for every death? ten?

If it only saves one life, it was worth it... just like gun control.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I’ve seen posts on FB (and I’m sure you have too) where the poster will ask questions in a similar vein and the responses from the Karens out there peg the meter in their shrillness.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Dr. Babbaganoush now estimates less than 60K fatalities by August from this virus.

I'm gonna say it first ( :) ): Trump was right all along.

donald.gif

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

We'll probably exceed that in suicides, alcohol/drug deaths, accidents working around the house, and people in general finding their way to death because they're at home with time on their hands instead of working.

This is all shaping up to be a massive overreaction.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t these numbers based on perfect compliance with stay home orders and social distancing? Meaning, we can’t attribute the slashed numbers to our own actions? So the numbers were cut in half based on nothing more than adjusting an incorrect model? I understand models can and should be changed as the information improves, but the fact it was so far off can’t be ignored.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    -still catching up with recent posts, but wanted to address a couple points made by my long-time friends----

In all this "flattening the curve" talk, no one seems to have noticed that the oft-shared graph seems to indicate the same number of people under the curve, regardless. just prolonging the effect.

Uh... hi there, I said almost that exact thing.

In a way, we are both right. Eventually, most (all?) of the population of the US will be exposed to this. Flattening the curve doesn't change that at all, to your point. I stand by my point, though, that we may end up with the same number of COVID-19 related deaths as we would've if we've done nothing. I don't think that is likely, but it is possible.

I've heard the half kicked around. So you're on a vent you have a 50/50 chance of surviving.

I'm not sure of the overlap of "critical" and "ventilator" but it seems to me that it is nearly concentric venn diagram. Based on available numbers and estimates, I believe approximately 75% of critical patients die.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm proof it's true
    They say it sits in the throat for a couple days before moving into the lungs. And I've seen advice about daily salt water gargling and drinking hot tea etc. So It would make sense that a high proof alcohol would kill it or damage it in the throat or mouth enough to flush it into the stomach for the digestive juices to finish it.
    But also staying hydrated is important so not overdoing the drinking is important too.
    Not trying to preach, I like my bourbon too ;)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The young people aren’t going through ****. This virus doesn’t even effect them. The main effect might be the economy, but given statistics very few young people work anyways. I’m more concerned about the selfish young people that are still going to beaches and parties and infecting the older people. I prefer the company of people in their 50s and older more than people in their 20s.

Listen to Pink Floyd, then turn on some new rock. Which one do you prefer?!?

That's because people in their 50s are AWESOME! There's new rock?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    They say it sits in the throat for a couple days before moving into the lungs. And I've seen advice about daily salt water gargling and drinking hot tea etc. So It would make sense that a high proof alcohol would kill it or damage it in the throat or mouth enough to flush it into the stomach for the digestive juices to finish it.
    But also staying hydrated is important so not overdoing the drinking is important too.
    Not trying to preach, I like my bourbon too ;)
    I hydrate with light beer!;)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The unfrozen caveman virus tracking system indicates we're hitting a new plateau of just under 2k deaths per day. Doubling of total deaths is now about 6 days. Actual deaths is about half of the 10 day old conservative estimates. That's all good.

It is somewhat consistent with the IHME model, too. I remain hopeful that this will be the extended plateau that indicates the "flattened" curve. Once there's stability in that - I'd say another week - and ideally some reduction in hospitalizations/deaths, then we can start mapping out areas to re-open with just the social distancing guidelines.

Assuming nothing goes sideways with that in the last couple weeks of the month, we could incrementally expand those starting in May.

That's probably more aggressive than someone like Fauci would want, and we would REALLY have to be watching each "opened up" area closely for any spikes. But that would seem to be a workable unfrozen caveman plan.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom