• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I don’t disagree with your approach, but sources absolutely matter. Am I reading opinions from some guy who just googles things and posts the ones that support his worldview, or does this person have direct knowledge? IMHO, I’m putting a lot more stock in what HoosierDoc is seeing from the frontlines than any mathematical model you can present. If people learn anything from this situation, I hope it’s that experts matter more than Karen on Facebook and her rambling “research.” I have spoken to SM via PM, so he hasn’t ignored my questions. I just think credentials matter very much in these situations.

I agree as long as the experts where experts before the current event made it profitable. Before they where called to be on a media source as one because they supported the view that media wanted to represent. The title expert does not mean to me what it used to.

Someone with a phd that has studied virology for years will always have a better grasp of virology than I do.Just like I will most likely understand how to take an periapical or panoramic x-ray better than they will.

Understanding what you do not know gives you a chance to learn.

I posted this once before. https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-dont-be-fooled-by-covid-19-carpetbaggers/

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Then perhaps the current, and coming, infringements will force the issue of unconstitutional precedent under which lawyers must now operate.

At the end of the day, a pastor was arrested and jailed (and forced to post bail) for nothing more than conducting a religious service. That outcome is so far beyond the pale that it, on its own, ought to demonstrate the fallacy of any existing legal precedent that would otherwise state that it was constitutional/lawful.

Sadly, the people that are cheering this on are so afraid of getting sick they don’t care.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I'm sorry that I live in a world where there is precedent and established methods of interpreting the Constitution. Some fantasy world where we start completely over would be great as I often disagree with the methods used to determine constitutionality, but I do not have the luxury of sitting down and telling my clients the way I think it should be. I have to tell them what is.

Under the law as it stands, this is legal.

So this means a wrong interpretation of the constitution overrides the constitution itself?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I continue to believe that this lack of freedom (self-imposed, for the most part) will remind people of how important freedom is (along with liberty). Once we get through this, people will look for all sorts of reasons to exercise their freedoms.

And I also think they will look suspiciously at any efforts to put more teeth in the pre-existing public health and safety laws. The existing laws seem to be sufficient, so I'm not sure what the impetus would be to take on more power.

We'll see, but I think those efforts would be resisted.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I agree as long as the experts where experts before the current event made it profitable. Before they where called to be on a media source as one because they supported the view that media wanted to represent. The title expert does not mean to me what it used to.

Some one with a phd that has studied virology for years will always have a better grasp of virology than I do.Just like I will most likely understand how to take an periapical or panoramic x-ray better than they will.

Understanding what you do not know gives you a chance to learn.

I posted this once before. https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-dont-be-fooled-by-covid-19-carpetbaggers/

And just who are the experts at shutting down an economy for overblown projections?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Mornin INGO! Just thinking about the "modeling" and how it seems to swing from "not so bad" to "we gotta make more babies if we're going to have this many deaths, there ain't enough of us! to "never mind..."

I don't do this kind of modeling. I have developed "models" (yeah, they were equations but "model" sounds cool) to determine required manpower to perform a specific group of tasks (correlation/regression analysis) and for queue-based workcenters (AKA call centers) using ERLANG-C queuing theory model (which was developed by a dude named Erlang in 1917.)

Using historical data: that also means data that can't be manipulated by anybody to game the system (China??), and 6 months to a year of data, I can get you there. The trouble is the historical part.

If you plug what you got now based on a short period into an equation (that's what a model is) and there's a good chance this model was designed for something else? You gonna get absolute crap!

We got five models and the outputs are all wrong. Can you average them? Sure!! I can multiply them too!!

What if the historical data is just wrong? Not that the data is wrong, but the past doesn't accurately represent the future. Been there! But instead of not accurately call volumes, it's the number of people who will get sick, get really sick, and the number of people who will die.

What did I do when I found out calls were being answered and not captured through the phone system? I reverse-engineered it and got a higher than actual number, 28% high. What did I do about hidden workload causing an increase with a better level of service? I guessed. That caused people to wait longer in the phone queue, not buy medical supplies and equipment.

We didn't really need it, but we are getting a senior level course in why climate change modeling is such a cluster ****

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Dr. Fauci has been so wrong on several things.

He claimed AIDS might be transmissible by routine close contact. He predicted that heterosexuals 10% of HIV would be heterosexuals, two and a half times the actual rate.

In January he told Newsmax the US did not have to worry about Coronavirus.

He based his predictions on models then told reporters that you really can't rely on models.

I could list more but you get the idea.

Dr. Birx is pushing the IHME model which is funded by Bill Gates using NY and NJ data and applying it to the rest of the country. The good doctor is a board member of Gates funded foundation. Oops, think conflict of interest? After years of hearing complaints about doctors in the pocket of drug companies here is a doctor making prescription for the entire country based on a organization she works for...

These are just people, fallible ordinary people, with built in bias and of course follow the money, maybe personal but often for research that they make money from as well as get to do what they enjoy.

Are we just taking their word for it and shutting down our economy?

It serves no one to sow doubt with anecdotes. If you have facts and data related to the disease that counters what these people and studies present, then present it. Otherwise, it's just more noise.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Why can't they work at home?

Probably due to balance of powers designated in the constitution. If they go home,and congress stays on vacation we will have no checks and balances.

I am glad they are not at home,but are doing what they can to protect themselves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom