• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Until the Chinese weapons biolab in Wuhan suffers from more escaped mutated samples. Then there won't have any way to tell them apart because all the vials of vaccines will be labelled for the Wuhan virus.

Correct! It's original and most accurate name was the Wuhan coronavirus

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I believe that as long as the EO is neutral to religion in its language and application, it is likely legal.

I don't see a "as long as it is neutral to religion" exception in the first amendment, either.

Even so, the EO is not neutral to religion, in that it specifies some services/activities as "essential", and excludes religion/religious activities from that specification as essential.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I read someplace that the WH is giving a reporter access regardless of what the press corps says. Seems like it was a Breitbart-style news site, but I can't remember.

Totally not a big deal IMHO, though. Like, I've got 99 problems, but worrying about who is left out of the WH press corps cool kids club ain't one.

The story you refer to was a reporter for OAN was expelled by WHCA because she had been invited by the press secretary personally to attend on a day she was not in rotation.

What at exactly is a "Breitbart style" news site?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Has the ban been enforced in Indiana against a religious gathering?

It doesn't appear that it bans exercise of any religious activity - just not any religious activity (or any other activity) in groups bigger than 10 or whatever.

The 1A allows for ANY freedom of association. All of that is curtailed, not just religion. So, if anyone has a 1A problem with this, it is not necessarily limited to religion.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The story you refer to was a reporter for OAN was expelled by WHCA because she had been invited by the press secretary personally to attend on a day she was not in rotation.

What at exactly is a "Breitbart style" news site?
    Ah, right. She's still allowed in by the WH, right?

And a Breitbart-style news site is... wait for it... a news site in the style of Breitbart. ;)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Has the ban been enforced in Indiana against a religious gathering?

It doesn't appear that it bans exercise of any religious activity - just not any religious activity (or any other activity) in groups bigger than 10 or whatever.

The 1A allows for ANY freedom of association. All of that is curtailed, not just religion. So, if anyone has a 1A problem with this, it is not necessarily limited to religion.

This is also true for me. I am equally appalled by agents of the state physically breaking up a family barbecue. But religious exercise, explicitly, is constitutionally protected - for good reason.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...They should have at least most of the COVID-19 symptoms and better yet all of the COVID-19 symptoms as well as a positive test before naming the cause of death as COVID-19...

Well, yeah. But when the numbers come in sooooooo far below predictions, ya gotta do something to pump them up to justify the degree of fear, panic, and economic destruction that's been created...

EVBAISsXsAEa-RI

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This is also true for me. I am equally appalled by agents of the state physically breaking up a family barbecue. But religious exercise, explicitly, is constitutionally protected - for good reason.

So have Indiana LEOs busted up any religious activities since the EOs? Truly, I haven't looked for this and it hasn't popped up in my various news feeds (in Indiana).

Until then, this is a hypothetical.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't see a "as long as it is neutral to religion" exception in the first amendment, either.

Even so, the EO is not neutral to religion, in that it specifies some services/activities as "essential", and excludes religion/religious activities from that specification as essential.

I'm sorry that I live in a world where there is precedent and established methods of interpreting the Constitution. Some fantasy world where we start completely over would be great as I often disagree with the methods used to determine constitutionality, but I do not have the luxury of sitting down and telling my clients the way I think it should be. I have to tell them what is.

Under the law as it stands, this is legal.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So have Indiana LEOs busted up any religious activities since the EOs? Truly, I haven't looked for this and it hasn't popped up in my various news feeds (in Indiana).

Until then, this is a hypothetical.

Not in Indiana.* In other states, yes. In Texas (IIRC?), police broke up a family barbecue. In Florida, police arrested and jailed a pastor.

* There is a link in this thread to police issuing a citation to a pastor (elders?) at a church in Hammond (again, IIRC), IN.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    well the markets think it's getting better. so do I

I know it's getting better! We are sparing about the tuning of the violin strings not about the ship sinking...

I really think some here, when told dinner is ready, have yelled back, can't come now, "someone is wrong on the Internet". LOL

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm sorry that I live in a world where there is precedent and established methods of interpreting the Constitution. Some fantasy world where we start completely over would be great as I often disagree with the methods used to determine constitutionality, but I do not have the luxury of sitting down and telling my clients the way I think it should be. I have to tell them what is.

Then perhaps the current, and coming, infringements will force the issue of unconstitutional precedent under which lawyers must now operate.

At the end of the day, a pastor was arrested and jailed (and forced to post bail) for nothing more than conducting a religious service. That outcome is so far beyond the pale that it, on its own, ought to demonstrate the fallacy of any existing legal precedent that would otherwise state that it was constitutional/lawful.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I read an article today that said something like 74% of people fully support the “stay at home” orders being given out by our elected leaders. Where we really have to be on guard is allowing this stuff to happen now to translate into a green light for post-9/11 type new laws “for-our-own-good-to-keep-us-safe-from-future-events” from being enacted. Because they and all of their new, expanded government power, will be “legal” then as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom