Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am to an extent. Where does that line get drawn? When does the normal flu become a reason to slap an ankle bracelet on someone? Does having HIV mean we can cut off your junk to prevent the spread of it?

For the record I think people who are infected should be quarantined, but I think the future implications of doing so may be something we don’t like.

You might want to read Anthony Bourdain's book Typhoid Mary.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The reporters should have to stand on a big trapdoor to ask their questions and give Trump the button.
    This will keep them from asking stupid questions.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    If you're referring to your link, it says 1 oz (30ml) of household bleach to 2 gal (7.5 liters) of water. That's a one to 256 dilution, not 1 to 3. I have other information that recommends 1 to 32 bleach to water for all disinfecting. Don't want to be pedantic, but 1 to 3 is strong enough to do some harm to people and equipment. Could you clarify whether you were referring to something other than the 3M link in the above post

Correction: IBT link about 3M equipment

So where did you get the 1 to 3?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My concern is what businesses have lost in two weeks, but what they'll loose in two years. What's the long term look like?

We're still filling orders and will for months, but if the construction industry slows dramatically, then we'll be hit in 4-8 months from now.

The Indicator from Planet Money's been all over this, and one economist said that instead of a one time deal, Congress should have set up threshold and automatic future measures to be ready if things continued to be bad.

I disagree. Spending trillions should be more like pulling teeth, not something on autopilot. Congress needs to vote each time, even if Pelosi brings her shopping list

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Weekend-Afternoon-Randomness-Funny-Pictures-Hotness-Humor-Humanity-DAR-WAR-01-1.jpg

Hhhhoooowwwww dddddaaaaarrrreeeee. Yyyyyoooouuuu
    I love what you can do with vinyl wrap.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not to even mention things like automobile manufacturing in the USA. They where already shutting down from a lack of parts well before the stay at home orders started.

So even if we said ok everyone back to work,it would not go as planned.Parts are still needed,and they are not showing up even as claims of China being ok get spread around(they locked a province back down day before yesterday).
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ockdown-after-coronavirus-cases-idUSKBN21J64X
    I think the very idea of a V recovery when we have yet to even feel the full effects of the global supply system shattering is optimistic to say the least.

A lot of good machinists in Indiana. Might be time for the big three to explore non-ChiCom sourcing, otherwise we can't recover until after they do and they might not make it

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I got word that at least one airline was offering crew 80% and full benefits if they take a six month furlough; it's 85% if you retire early.

While possible, that's unlikely. Unless it's a ploy to make sure they qualify for the bailout, the airlines are running at around 35 to 45% of schedules at 5 to 15% load factors. They are pretty much walking dead

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    After watching this, I feel like I would need a Tyvek suit to go anywhere near a Walmart. :):

(In all seriousness, this is a very informative video regarding transmission of viruses via airborne micro-droplets.)

[video=youtube;K5kR1zhVjAc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5kR1zhVjAc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I agree. My point though is there is more to this than saving lives. I gather that the ones that have the president’s ear though are those concerned with only a single aspect of this situation.

ETA: Anyone who’s been watching the daily briefings will have seen a few of the reporters (rightfully) grilling the president on his upbeat tone only a week or two ago how we’re going to turn this around quickly and get back to work. The question I’d ask if I were one of them is: “Mr. President, a week or so ago you were telling the American people that we were going to defeat this virus quickly and that 15 days of lock down was all that’s required. You’ve also said that the recovery will be a V shaped recovery and that the economy would come storming back and be as strong or stronger than it was before. You were wrong about the 15 days, what makes you confident about a recovery after a 1.5 month shut down?”

I'm kind of torn about this. We're in a lot of trouble, much like immediately after Pearl Harbor. I think about what might have happened then if the people had been told 100% of the truth as to just how bad it was. It is a different era, and I don't think the people want the government to blow smoke, but I think the majority of the people need some kind of hope. I can abide the optimism as long as their actions behind the scenes are guided by necessary realism. Trump's version of reality is no more skewed than that pushed by the MSM, just in the other direction. Something needs to be done to counterprogram that defeatist noise

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My stepdaughter came over to 'borrow' some lawn chairs to sit on her porch. She couldn't come in the house because I'm not risking it. So anyway, she said Mug & Bun is packed, more so than on the weekends, and everyone is out like this is a vacation. I told her we need volunteers for the surge.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The reporters should have to stand on a big trapdoor to ask their questions and give Trump the button.
    This will keep them from asking stupid questions.

I like this idea!

Something like Blofeld, the man with the white cat in James Bond, had in his conference room for those he suspected of wrongdoing.

Should it include a pit with sharks with lasers on their head?
    Or a spike pit with robot snakes?
    Or quicksand?

Come on folks we need an eeeeevvviiillll pit of doom!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom