Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I am telling all the liberals I know that I am giving my stimulus check to the Trump campaign.

Weekend-Afternoon-Randomness-Funny-Pictures-Hotness-Humor-Humanity-DAR-WAR-01-1.jpg

Hhhhoooowwwww dddddaaaaarrrreeeee. Yyyyyoooouuuu

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Listening to Holcomb conference call on channel 4 right now. They said the general public shouldn’t use n95 masks because they should be reserved for 1st responders and med staff.

thoughts?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Listening to Holcomb conference call on channel 4 right now. They said the general public shouldn’t use n95 masks because they should be reserved for 1st responders and med staff.

thoughts?

I have a few. I work with epoxy and carbon fiber at times. I will not feel guilty about using them,and have been wearing one in public for over 6 weeks.

If I had more than a few I would donate some to a hospital that had a need. It is not the case where I am.

I have also started heating mine to 137(toaster oven) for 60 minutes. I am doing that with only two so far. If I see degradation(scent test) I will go back to alcohol to sanitize them for reuse.

I may just start wearing a 3m mask with replaceable filters(I have full face and half face ones).

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have a few. I work with epoxy and carbon fiber at times. I will not feel guilty about using them,and have been wearing one in public for over 6 weeks.

If I had more than a few I would donate some to a hospital that had a need. It is not the case where I am.

I have also started heating mine to 137(toaster oven) for 60 minutes. I am doing that with only two so far. If I see degradation(scent test) I will go back to alcohol to sanitize them for reuse.

I may just start wearing a 3m mask with replaceable filters(I have full face and half face ones).

what about hanging them outside in the sun for two to three days?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    what about hanging them outside in the sun for two to three days?

Given studies that show sars-cov-2 can remain viable on plastic for days(what your mask is made of)and that polyester fiber photo(sun light) degrades I am not sure on that one.
    Bleach is to hard on them for sure,and I am not certain on alcohol but mine have survived the latter well at 70%. I dunk them in it and hang to dry(not sanitizer type just normal liquid).Do not use hand sanitizer,it will clog the mask and make it useless due to the gel material.

If your oven will set at 140,simply preheat it and put them in for an hour. It will destroy the virus,and is actually one of the methods suggested by the CDC.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Another interesting tid bit out of the Indiana update. They won’t be paying the extra 600 for unemployment “anytime soon”.

You don't say? I'm shocked! I keep hearing people say if they lose a job that unemployment is a better choice than going to work in a super market or at Amazon. Why would you work a lower wage job and risk dying when Uncle Sugar will feed your family while you sit on your ass?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Some helpful info...

Sterilization methods for reuse of N95 masks
    From Dr. Peter Tsai, the INVENTOR of the filtration fabric in the N95 mask. N95 masks are made of polypropylene material and are designed to tightly fit over your face with little leakage around the edge of the mask. Dr. Tsai was asked about reusing the N95 respirator, and what materials could be added in homemade masks to make them more effective. He responded with the following:

MASK REUSE METHOD #1

When reusing N95 masks, leave a used respirator in dry, atmosphere air for 3-4 days to dry it out. Polypropylene in N95 masks is hydrophobic and contains zero moisture. COVID-19 needs a host to survive--it can survive on a metal surface for up to 48 hours, on plastic for 72 hours, and on cardboard for 24 hours. When the respirator is dry in 3-4 days, the virus will not have survived.

Take four N95 masks, and number them (#1-4).
    On day 1, use mask #1, then let it dry it out for 3-4 days.
    On day 2, use mask #2, then let it dry out for 3-4 days.
    Same for day 3, and day 4…

MASK REUSE METHOD #2

You can also sterilize the N95 mask by hanging it in the oven (without contacting metal) at 70C (158F) for 30 minutes—it is reported that COVID-19 cannot survive at 65C (149F) for 30 minutes.

Use a wood clip to hang the respirator in the kitchen oven to do the sterilization.

When sterilizing N95 masks, be wary of using UV light--keep N95 masks away from UV light / sunlight. N95 masks are degraded by UV light because it damages the electrostatic charges in the polypropylene material. It is unclear how long the masks can be exposed to UV light before they are ineffective.

TIPS FOR REUSE METHOD #1 AND METHOD #2

DO NOT place the respirator on a metal surface, or too close to metal--the temperature on the metal surface is higher than the air temperature.

Keep N95 masks away from UV light / sunlight.

When removing the mask, hold the edge of the straps attached to take off the N95 mask. Your hands may be contaminated at this time--don’t touch the inside part of the respirator. Wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds afterward.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Some helpful info...
    Yes it is. I forgot to mention using a wooden cloths pin to hang mine so they do not contact metal when heating them.

I know alcohol causes the electrostatic charge to dissipate as well.The good news is you can get it back. Simply walk around dragging your feet on carpet while holding the mask(I jest,but who knows).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

thoughts?

Depends, are people using them right?

Are they tossing them on the ground as soon as they leave the store?

Are they covering their chin with them while the share a cig with their boo? (observation I had across the street here)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thoughts?

Never listen to a politician. Do what YOU believe is best for YOU.
    Bingo.
    My wife has an essential job and has to interact with the public. If I get the chance to buy more, I will.
    I don't rely on the government for ****.
    But I've also planned for years and I had my own supply of N95 before this happened. Yeah I wish I had more.
    Ammo is something I'll never run out of. Food is something I'm very great on. N95 masks. I only had a couple boxes.
    Gloves, have a crap ton. They are pointless for most things. Just wash your hands and use sanitizer when you cant

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Depends, are people using them right?

Are they tossing them on the ground as soon as they leave the store?

Are they covering their chin with them while the share a cig with their boo? (observation I had across the street here)

Friend of mine is a pilot. He was diagnosed with covid after flying to Washington for a week. He said in the airport people would wear the mask and pull them off their face to talk on their phone. :rolleyes:

If you’re going to use the mask irresponsibly you might as well not buy them and keep them on the shelf for people who will use them correctly. A cell phone is probably one of the most contaminated objects in the house, putting it to your face is a horrible idea. I talk on speaker phone, and don’t even take it out of my pocket in public. If you call, I’ll call you back when I get home and can wipe my phone down and wash my hands.

The carelessness is what’s spreading this virus. I think most of us here are safer than majority of the population. We carry a firearm, to prevent any disruptions to our lives. We take pride in being prepared for worst case scenarios, so when something like this happens I feel we are already ahead of the majority of people in our thinking and prevention. Hopefully this will open people’s eyes and they’ll understand what our community is about. We aren’t a bunch of rednecks wanting to blast everything that breathes. We are family men and women, who want to be prepared for the worst, whatever that may be.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom