• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A deciliter is like 3.4 fluid ounces. That is the equivalent of 5 copies per milliliter down to 1 copy per milliliter. That actually sounds extremely sensitive to me.
    What is it really saying though - 3.4 fluid ounces of what?

that's why I said "or something". 500 virus particles in 100ml isn't much. viral transport media has about 1ml in it. so 500/dl would be 5 virus particles in 1ml right? that's not much

I don't recall the unit of measurement they used on the 500 and 100 copy number. just using for reference

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Citing counties with few cases seems to either validate the practice of social distancing (or perhaps most are just rural) or call into question the frequency and accuracy of testing (are false positives a thing? I haven’t heard of such). My seat-of-the-pants viewpoint on this is that we will never know how much worse this would be if we didn’t do the things we were doing, but I’m not sure we would want to know. I can’t quite yet wrap my head around the viewpoint that this is some major conspiracy to permanently empower government at the expense of our civil liberties, either.

I don't think it's a conspiracy but I do think it's an over reaction, and one that is doing immeasurable harm.

Does that mean california is doing it right by only testing really sick people when it will affect their treatment?

That also means we have no way to detect the early-on asymptomatic infected people walking around. Unless maybe they could test for low levels of antibodies.

quite possibly. if your test sucks then only test the really Ill. if your test is very good then test everyone

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Fewer than 500 employees.
    Nice. Do essential businesses that choose to shut down also qualify? Lol, I know how the government likes to apply little loopholes to keep from paying out. We make stuff for the government/ military and are “essential”, but we shut down the last 2 weeks, all of our outside services shut down so we can’t get anything heat treated/black oxide/anodized/etc. We can only used approved companies and they’re closed so it forces us to shut down in a way.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So if I start a business tonight, making widgets or something, can I get some free money too?

ETA - I suppose I could check and see what the politicians are doing - if they are all starting businesses then it might be OK.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    nearly HALF of Indiana counties have less than 10 proven cases. What are we doing to ourselves.

https://coronavirus.in.gov/

Using the official 2.7 doubling rate estimate from the White House press briefing today(for Indiana). 10 cases =3,874 cases in 13.5 days if nothing is done.
    What is being done is not enough to lower the RO to below 1,we can only hope it gets it close.

Also of note is doctor Dr. Anthony Fauci's estimate that for every detected case we may have 20-50 cases that have not been tested.

I am not for crushing our economy. I think masks and makeshift masks being worn will go a long way to dropping the RO below 1,which is why it is now being advised.

If that happens people can go back to work,as long as that is practiced and other things like sanitation,and no groups continues. The mask wearing in public should get us below 1 RO and we can return to a functioning society,but people have to start doing it.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Nice. Do essential businesses that choose to shut down also qualify? Lol, I know how the government likes to apply little loopholes to keep from paying out. We make stuff for the government/ military and are “essential”, but we shut down the last 2 weeks, all of our outside services shut down so we can’t get anything heat treated/black oxide/anodized/etc. We can only used approved companies and they’re closed so it forces us to shut down in a way.

It's complicated enough that I can't really answer questions without a lot of specifics on your business. And even then, I am not particularly qualified to answer.

Here's the info: https://www.sba.gov/page/coronavirus-covid-19-small-business-guidance-loan-resources

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    That means everybody would need to find a mask somewhere.

Even wearing a bandanna will help. Anything to reduce the amount of particles you spread and breath in.

Yes masks are better,but even some home made cloth masks can reach 80% filtration. I am sure some on here making masks with things like HEPA filters are much better than 80%.

If we all do it,society can resume functioning.

[video=facebook_share;2611871689088276]https://www.facebook.com/100007964100586/videos/2611871689088276/[/video]

https://www.facebook.com/100007964100586/videos/2611871689088276/

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Using the official 2.7 doubling rate estimate from the White House press briefing today(for Indiana). 10 cases =3,874 cases in 13.5 days if nothing is done.
    What is being done is not enough to lower the RO to below 1,we can only hope it gets it close.

Also of note is doctor Dr. Anthony Fauci's estimate that for every detected case we may have 20-50 cases that have not been tested.

I am not for crushing our economy. I think masks and makeshift masks being worn will go a long way to dropping the RO below 1,which is why it is now being advised.

If that happens people can go back to work,as long as that is practiced and other things like sanitation,and no groups continues. The mask wearing in public should get us below 1 RO and we can return to a functioning society,but people have to start doing it.

Even wearing a bandanna will help. Anything to reduce the amount of particles you spread and breath in.

Yes masks are better,but even some home made cloth masks can reach 80% filtration. I am sure some on here making masks with things like HEPA filters are much better than 80%.

If we all do it,society can resume functioning.

This right here is where the conspiracy is! You can see the singular control behind what we are fed, except for a few leaks that get out. And the shame of it is we are still being told an N95 mask won't help and that you don't need one. Of course a bandana will help, but that idea was put down too early on.

If we would have all put on masks (not just because it's airborne but to train us to not touch our face and establish some national unity) we wouldn't have to shutdown as much as we did. But we're too good to wear masks. I can tell you it's kind of humiliating to wear mask and gloves into Fresh Market when no one else is, but glad I did.

You can see the unified control of what we hear and that's a problem. Thankful for all the opinions on here!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Citing counties with few cases seems to either validate the practice of social distancing (or perhaps most are just rural) or call into question the frequency and accuracy of testing (are false positives a thing? I haven’t heard of such). My seat-of-the-pants viewpoint on this is that we will never know how much worse this would be if we didn’t do the things we were doing, but I’m not sure we would want to know. I can’t quite yet wrap my head around the viewpoint that this is some major conspiracy to permanently empower government at the expense of our civil liberties, either.
    This is right where I'm at. It's an unprovable, a 'false argument' I believe that's the term I read in an article posted here. If this is a conspiracy then the govt is way smarter and coordinated than I am willing to give them credit for.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    So I should wear my 3M 7500 mask with its dual P100 filters (hot pink of course) whenever I go to the grocery store? That ought to cause some envy among the surgical mask wearing crowd!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Indiana government listened.

Much more information provided.

https://coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm

Keep up the pressure. What where the comorbitities ? What drugs if any where used in treatment? Time frames for illness to resolution(either recovery or deaths)?

Keep asking questions. It is the only way to get answers.The other thing asking those questions does is get those in charge to ask them. If they can not get the answers they get things done so they can have the answers not just for you,but for themselves.

Other questions to ask.

How much is in the unemployment fund,and how long will it last without intervention?

One of the most important questions you can ask is "What can I do to help" ,and when you are told you can help by staying home....let them know that is not acceptable. Help is needed if we are going to recover from this quickly. If they are unwilling to give you direction find someone who is. If you can not find someone,be the someone.

Do you realize how many in Indiana for example are already unsure of where their next meal will come from? (hopefully a short term problem,but it may not be).

How about where you worked. What needs done to restart? Can you be the one to make sure it gets done?

Plenty need help. This week I am transporting some food to those in need of it,some of it is from me personally,but not all. How did I find out who was in need? I talked to the local food pantry. I am keeping the information given private,and expect to do this without my identity being known here. Simply leaving items on porches.

I am also talking to the city about tilling and planting a few empty lots(even mentioned the open areas at a couple of the parks near soccer fields that have great light). The local greenhouse is hopefully going to be on board as well. It has not moved forward yet,but it never will if no one asks.We have a bit more time here before things can go into the ground,we still have snow....but it never hurts to plan ahead.

Be well,be safe,you are loved.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Good article on the models: https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2020/04/dont-believe-covid-19-models/164314/?oref=d-mostread

Quotes below.
    [h=1]The COVID-19 Models Probably Don’t Say What You Think They Say[/h]If they accurately predict the future, we've done something wrong.

Epidemiologists routinely turn to models to predict the progression of an infectious disease. Fighting public suspicion of these models is as old as modern epidemiology, which traces its origins back to John Snow’s famous cholera maps in 1854.

sometimes that people believe epidemiologists, and then get mad when their models aren’t crystal balls.

At the beginning of a pandemic, we have the disadvantage of higher uncertainty, but the advantage of being early: The costs of our actions are lower because the disease is less widespread. As we prune the tree of the terrible, unthinkable branches, we are not just choosing a path; we are shaping the underlying parameters themselves, because the parameters themselves are not fixed. If our hospitals are not overrun, we will have fewer deaths and thus a lower fatality rate. That’s why we shouldn’t get bogged down in litigating a model’s numbers. Instead we should focus on the parameters we can change, and change them.

Sometimes, when we succeed in chopping off the end of the pessimistic tail, it looks like we overreacted. A near miss can make a model look false. But that’s not always what happened. It just means we won. And that’s why we model.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom