Not open for further replies.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Oh, and before going to the grocery store I went to the McDonald’s drive-through and had a Double Quarter Pounder… It’s the little things, but boy did it taste great. Did all the right stuff to protect myself, because that’s probably going to be the last one for quite a while. I savored every bite.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Obviously I don't know enough about this stuff but that doesn't make much sense to me. I would want our carriers and subs to be ready for full boogie at all times.
    If they are kept in a state of half-ready - maybe they just should have built half as much boat.

Half the boat, half the crew.
    Tanks are a mixture of speed, firepower, and armor.
    Well, in reality there are more subsections. But you just can't have a tank that's too in each cafegory.

Ships are the same.
    There's all kinds of sensors, weapons, aircraft, electronics, fuel systems, etc that get operated and maintained.
    Calibrarions, replacements, etc..
    The stuff gets HARD use. It's not like civilian stuff.
    That jet's landing is a controlled crash.

Then there's fires to fight. And stuff like that.

Nukes to guard, and regular explosives to deal with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh, and before going to the grocery store I went to the McDonald’s drive-through and had a Double Quarter Pounder… It’s the little things, but boy did it taste great. Did all the right stuff to protect myself, because that’s probably going to be the last one for quite a while. I savored every bite.

Daughter and I made what we planned to be a top off food store trip this morning. Not unlike the McD's you had everyone needs comfort food especially during a lock down. We plan a 2 week self imposed stay at home just to get through this and also to test our resolve.
    So when I get home and everything is shelved and organized I get a panic call from a friend that is in his 80's. Major water leak so of course I have got to roll.

Got it slowed down to a drip that's controllable. Tomorrow I get to go back out among them for parts and then do the repair. Then I can lock the gates. Should turn off the phone as well yes.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Yes, so many people talking about relaxing the social distancing. I just saw a thing on Fox News where Indiana was shown as an emerging hotspot with 15% positive test results. Sounds more like time to lock the doors and turn off the phone to me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yes, so many people talking about relaxing the social distancing. I just saw a thing on Fox News where Indiana was shown as an emerging hotspot with 15% positive test results. Sounds more like time to lock the doors and turn off the phone to me.

so 15% of people tested are positive? not sure how that shows we're an emerging hot spot honestly. but I do know most of the original tests were negative. but honestly the tests suck. companies are not publishing the sensitivity and specificity of the test. meaning if 100 people who have the disease are tested, how many will be positive? it may be as low as 60.

if you believe the numbers, half of indiana counties have less than 10 confirmed cases. how does locking them down help anything?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    so 15% of people tested are positive? not sure how that shows we're an emerging hot spot honestly. but I do know most of the original tests were negative. but honestly the tests suck. companies are not publishing the sensitivity and specificity of the test. meaning if 100 people who have the disease are tested, how many will be positive? it may be as low as 60.

So what do we actually believe

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

I have heard of even worse numbers. One article said china donated some test kits to the Czechs where 80% of them were inaccurate. Another article about the chinese doctor that got COVID-19 and first warned about the virus was tested six times with negative results before returning a positive result.
    Sure these were chinese test kits but really how good are any of them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    EUpo7lsUwAUtWlx

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Man, there are a bunch of these now.

[video=youtube;M5azNpTwVk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5azNpTwVk8&feature=share[/video]

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have heard of even worse numbers. One article said china donated some test kits to the Czechs where 80% of them were inaccurate. Another article about the chinese doctor that got COVID-19 and first warned about the virus was tested six times with negative results before returning a positive result.
    Sure these were chinese test kits but really how good are any of them.

one kit we're using requires 500 virus copies per deciliter or something to flag positive. a newer one requires 100 copies.

early In the illness your viral load may be low and even a good test may miss it. mono requires you to be sick a week before the test is reasonably reliable

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So why are politicians losing their minds over this? Why are hospitals reacting so strongly? I’m not disagreeing with you, but genuinely curious.

I don't know.it can certainly be bad if you get it. my guess is social and classic media pressure and not wanting to be blamed for deaths. if you do anything to "save just one life" who can blame you? just write them a check from their grandkids' account to pay them off for their inconvenjce

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Citing counties with few cases seems to either validate the practice of social distancing (or perhaps most are just rural) or call into question the frequency and accuracy of testing (are false positives a thing? I haven’t heard of such). My seat-of-the-pants viewpoint on this is that we will never know how much worse this would be if we didn’t do the things we were doing, but I’m not sure we would want to know. I can’t quite yet wrap my head around the viewpoint that this is some major conspiracy to permanently empower government at the expense of our civil liberties, either.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    one kit we're using requires 500 virus copies per deciliter or something to flag positive. a newer one requires 100 copies.

early In the illness your viral load may be low and even a good test may miss it. mono requires you to be sick a week before the test is reasonably reliable

A deciliter is like 3.4 fluid ounces. That is the equivalent of 5 copies per milliliter down to 1 copy per milliliter. That actually sounds extremely sensitive to me.
    What is it really saying though - 3.4 fluid ounces of what?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Does that mean california is doing it right by only testing really sick people when it will affect their treatment?

That also means we have no way to detect the early-on asymptomatic infected people walking around. Unless maybe they could test for low levels of antibodies.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom