EUnDts0WkAAunix

Reality:

EUnDvIaXkAAASxR

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Except, you can't take someone off one complex piece of machinery, and rotate them onto another.
    They have to "qualify" on that equipment.
    Boomer subs do that, only because they have 2 entire crews assigned to that sub.
    Even then, it takes a month and a half to repair the sub, and break in the oncoming crew.
    Do you want a Reactor Operator to flip a wrong switch because, "That's the way it was done on the other ship".

Also, do you think because a ship is in port, it doesn't need a crew?
    It doesn't work like that.

Pfftt. Come on.
    How hard could it be to paddle a boat?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So the Navy has the absolute bare minimum of qualified people for that job? Like only one qualified person for each ship for each job? That would be pretty poor planning, or actually downright s****y planning.

No.
    As I mentioned before, they have between 3 and 5 shifts.
    They could run with 1 shift, which is their minimum. But then everyone is on shift 24 hours per day.
    If they run with 2 shifts, people could get some sleep and food.
    They could pull some combat ops, but not fully load.

When they are running all 3, 4, o4 5 shifts, a full combat load still wears everyone out.

I was on a 3 shift's of nukes. Unless a RO went on vacation, then it was 2 shifts.
    But I wasn't just the Reactor Operator.
    I was also the Reactor Technician
    And the Engineering Yeoman.
    And the Reactor Control Division Sound Silencing Petty Officer
    I was also qualified Reactor Compartment Access watch
    Primary Valve Operator
    Electrical Operator
    Electrical Roving Watch
    And the list cntinues.
    I was wore out all the time at sea.
    In port I was only mostly wore out.

And I had to qualify on all that stuff.
    I didn't just arrive, and they assigned me a watch.
    Different watch stating require different qual times.
    Qualifying Subs, Reactor Operator, and Shutdown Reactor Operator took a year.
    I think the Junior Watchstations were starting at 6 weeks, and increased from there.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    With 2 or 3 shifts, my last deployment I was working 100+ hour weeks.

Monday midnight to 6 am.. on watch
    6 am to noon, running drills.
    Noon to 6 pm. My sleep time. But we're running more drills, so no sleep.
    6 pm to midnight. On watch

Midnight to 6 am. Performing maintenance and preventative maintenance.
    6 am to noon. Sleep time. But more drills.
    Noon to 6 pm. On watch.
    6 pm to midnight. More maintenance if there is any. If not, log room yeoman duties. If not, Sound Silencing duties, if not, was clothes, if not break out a manual.
    Midnight to 6 am. Collapse for some sleep.

Repeat endlessly.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No.
    As I mentioned before, they have between 3 and 5 shifts.
    They could run with 1 shift, which is their minimum. But then everyone is on shift 24 hours per day.
    If they run with 2 shifts, people could get some sleep and food.
    They could pull some combat ops, but not fully load.

When they are running all 3, 4, o4 5 shifts, a full combat load still wears everyone out.

I was on a 3 shift's of nukes. Unless a RO went on vacation, then it was 2 shifts.
    But I wasn't just the Reactor Operator.
    I was also the Reactor Technician
    And the Engineering Yeoman.
    And the Reactor Control Division Sound Silencing Petty Officer
    I was also qualified Reactor Compartment Access watch
    Primary Valve Operator
    Electrical Operator
    Electrical Roving Watch
    And the list cntinues.
    I was wore out all the time at sea.
    In port I was only mostly wore out.

And I had to qualify on all that stuff.
    I didn't just arrive, and they assigned me a watch.
    Different watch stating require different qual times.
    Qualifying Subs, Reactor Operator, and Shutdown Reactor Operator took a year.
    I think the Junior Watchstations were starting at 6 weeks, and increased from there.

That seems like a hell of a lot of great reasons to have a some qualified people around somewhere that can do that stuff.
    Training to be an astronaut was pretty extensive too, so they trained spares and backups. Seems logical, no?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, like I said. I think carriers tend towards 4 or 5 shifts.
    Keep 2 shifts on board for 24 hour coverage.
    Transfer the rest on.
    Add a couple more docs and corpsman to maintain the crews health.
    No one new transfers on board.
    Test everyone in the crew that stays on board, and maybe you don't need the extra medics.

The ship can be operated and maintained.
    Combat operations if necessary, would be at a reduced rate though.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Government and many of those who wield the levers of power will take any measure they can to consolidate that power and discourage self-reliance and self-sufficiency.

They just aren't in the business of giving power back to the people. It's a damn disgrace we've gotten to this point but we have.
    Agree with this, but have a question; does it have to end like this? Can this be a new beginning? The history books would say "they were at a decision point, and they chose freedom", is there some way this is a viable option? This is just part of my big reset theory, where those in "power" are actually those that "serve". Is there a path back?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    [video=youtube;YsmKvC7RpEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsmKvC7RpEQ[/video]
    Ok. Not saying I’m for or against this, but I’ll play devils advocate here for a second.

we have people here complaining about the constitutional rights being infringed due to this pandemic, and now we’re mad at a business for selling their product to who they want? Isn’t that capitalism? I mean, do we want government to control the business or not?

I think what 3m is doing is a disgrace, and they should take care of the country that gave them the opportunities to become what it is, but imo if you don’t like their practices don’t buy their product and let someone else step up to the plate.

I don’t get it here sometimes. We want freedom, until we disagree with what freedom someone exercises. Meh. Whatever

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So, like I said. I think carriers tend towards 4 or 5 shifts.
    Keep 2 shifts on board for 24 hour coverage.
    Transfer the rest on.
    Add a couple more docs and corpsman to maintain the crews health.
    No one new transfers on board.
    Test everyone in the crew that stays on board, and maybe you don't need the extra medics.

The ship can be operated and maintained.
    Combat operations if necessary, would be at a reduced rate though.

Obviously I don't know enough about this stuff but that doesn't make much sense to me. I would want our carriers and subs to be ready for full boogie at all times.
    If they are kept in a state of half-ready - maybe they just should have built half as much boat.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Data and charts posted recently make me glad I’m in a fairly rural part of Ohio, probably for the duration of this. I went back to the grocery store today to buy more supplies. It wasn’t the same place it was when I started preparing for this a couple months ago. Arrows on the floor, plexiglass barriers, everybody keeping their distance… and… empty shelves. Lots of them. Only a handful of rolls of TP, canned food shelves about 30% stocked with many items gone, lots of frozen stuff wiped out. I spent just under $140 and bought enough food for at least another month. I’m probably good for three months now. If the freezer or the power quits I’ll have to snarf down my favorite stuff, the French bread pizzas, Eggo waffles, Healthy Choice meals… There’s probably 2 to 3 weeks worth of food in there so some of it will go to waste, but I’m eating that first. I don’t have a single unavoidable reason to leave this place for at least two, probably three months.

I’m not ****ing around with this thing. I don’t care if this thing peters out and I have to eat this crap for two years (that would be wonderful!), I’m not playing around and all of you guys are the reason why I’m ready, so I’m thankful for that.

On a personal note, I had a rough end to my summer and one of the many consequences was me taking a long hard look at my life and committing the remainder of it to Jesus Christ. No matter what happens, I will face it without fear. I couldn’t have said that six months ago.

For the time being, I still have a job that I love, at a company run by people with good business ethics who care about their employees. I can’t ask for any more than that.

Stay safe, everyone.

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Data and charts posted recently make me glad I’m in a fairly rural part of Ohio, probably for the duration of this. I went back to the grocery store today to buy more supplies. It wasn’t the same place it was when I started preparing for this a couple months ago. Arrows on the floor, plexiglass barriers, everybody keeping their distance… And… Empty shelves. Lots of them. Only a handful of rolls of TP, canned food shelves about 30% stocked with many items gone, lots of frozen stuff wiped out. I spent just under $140 and bought enough stuff for at least another month. I’m probably good for three months now. I’m done ****ing around with this thing. I don’t care if I have to eat this crap for two years, I’m not playing around and all of you guys are the reason why, so I’m thankful for that.

On a personal note, I had a rough end to my summer and one of the many consequences was me taking a long hard look at my life and committing it Jesus Christ. No matter what happens, I will face it without fear. I couldn’t have said that six months ago.

For the time being, I still have a job that I love, at a company run by people with good business ethics who care about their employees. I can’t ask for any more than that.

Stay safe, everyone.
    That's great. I pray a lot of people come to Christ through this.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The thing is, it happened to me last September and October. I would say the timing was right. The thing I miss most right now is my weekly RCIA meeting. Confirmation and First Communion can wait, even until Easter 2021. It won’t change where my heart is in the meantime.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The thing is, it happened to me last September and October. I would say the timing was right. The thing I miss most right now is my weekly RCIA meeting. Confirmation and First Communion can wait, even until Easter 2021. It won’t change where my heart is in the meantime.

Now that's the spirit. :yesway:

And...... that's the Spirit. :yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom