• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So I should wear my 3M 7500 mask with its dual P100 filters (hot pink of course) whenever I go to the grocery store? That ought to cause some envy among the surgical mask wearing crowd! 

Yes. But be aware you need to be really careful when taking it on and off,and also need to keep it sanitized.You can find a guide here....https://www.ibtinc.com/how-to-clean-reusable-3m-respirators/

In short 1/3 a cup of bleach per gallon,followed by a rinse in warm clean water. Filters can not be treated,and need to be removed prior to soaking. If you do not have removable filters(some are disposable types)you just need to wipe it down with the bleach solution and rinse it. I would cover the filters with plastic wrap and wear gloves and another mask while doing either type.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This right here is where the conspiracy is! You can see the singular control behind what we are fed, except for a few leaks that get out. And the shame of it is we are still being told an N95 mask won't help and that you don't need one. Of course a bandana will help, but that idea was put down too early on.

If we would have all put on masks (not just because it's airborne but to train us to not touch our face and establish some national unity) we wouldn't have to shutdown as much as we did. But we're too good to wear masks. I can tell you it's kind of humiliating to wear mask and gloves into Fresh Market when no one else is, but glad I did.

You can see the unified control of what we hear and that's a problem. Thankful for all the opinions on here!

The mask message is rapidly changing. I do not think you will hear many say to not wear them from this point forward.Two days in a row the president mentioned them.Yesterday,4/2/2020 the message was stronger that yes all Americans should wear something to cover their face when out in public. I suspect we will get guidance from the CDC soon that says the same,along with what to wear to avoid using medical masks(me personally I may just put a bandanna over my n-95).
    https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news...ting-broader-use-of-face-masks-569343001.html

[video=facebook_share;2611871689088276]https://www.facebook.com/100007964100586/videos/2611871689088276/[/video]

I mentioned this roughly 6 weeks ago,as have many other INGO members.Now it is on CNN.
    [video]https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/04/03/sanjay-gupta-wiping-cleaning-groceries-demo-town-hall-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/[/video]

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Citing counties with few cases seems to either validate the practice of social distancing (or perhaps most are just rural) or call into question the frequency and accuracy of testing (are false positives a thing? I haven’t heard of such). My seat-of-the-pants viewpoint on this is that we will never know how much worse this would be if we didn’t do the things we were doing, but I’m not sure we would want to know. I can’t quite yet wrap my head around the viewpoint that this is some major conspiracy to permanently empower government at the expense of our civil liberties, either.

Using the official 2.7 doubling rate estimate from the White House press briefing today(for Indiana). 10 cases =3,874 cases in 13.5 days if nothing is done.
    What is being done is not enough to lower the RO to below 1,we can only hope it gets it close.

Also of note is doctor Dr. Anthony Fauci's estimate that for every detected case we may have 20-50 cases that have not been tested.

I am not for crushing our economy. I think masks and makeshift masks being worn will go a long way to dropping the RO below 1,which is why it is now being advised.

If that happens people can go back to work,as long as that is practiced and other things like sanitation,and no groups continues. The mask wearing in public should get us below 1 RO and we can return to a functioning society,but people have to start doing it.

ok, so when do you open up? we shut areas down before virus is there. that means no immunity. we see influenza cases 365 days a year..the community will.have no immunity. how do you make the argument to EVER open back up again?

it's not OK to not have criteria on when to re-open. it needs to be discussed now and honestly implemented in areas with little to no virus activity.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I have updated the maps this morning and the spreadsheet last night. I have a landing page that has all the resources available here: https://twnwi.com/ The data is coming from two different sources, worldometers updates GMT, the mapping data source is supposed to be 2100 EST but is often later so I get to it when I can in the AM.

The IHME projections seem to be pretty good so far although we are just starting the bump in the curve. https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Get good sleep, at least 7-8 hours a night...good sleep! There are tremendous peer-reviewed studies supporting sleep and the body's ability to fight a viral infection.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...M_20181169.pdf
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...ticle_1044.pdf
    https://journals.lww.com/psychosomat...nse_to.17.aspx
    For the visual learners like me: https://youtu.be/qqZYEgREuZ8?t=114

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Off today, work from home tomorrow, back on my new gig as a screener Sunday (thru Thursday 1130-2000). I go in early (0900-ish) and doing my work which mostly involves spreadsheets and trend analysis. As I suspected I can't do my job in 2.5 hours a day. That's good, I'd be a real slacker if I actually could.

For the last 12+ years I've been at the Indianapolis VA Med Center Pharmacy (Management Analyst AKA Statistician with people skills.) Working at the entrance where the vast majority of employees and patients are entering has been quite eye-opening.

Limited entrances, everyone gets screened. No visitors, period. I only referred to one daughter as the patient's wife so I'm doing good. We take wheelchair patients to their appointments after getting their spouses/children/siblings/friends phone number so the clinic can contact them for pick-up. One patient I wheeled to an appointment really stuck with me. 10th Special Forces Group hat with 1966-1969 embroidered on the side. I remember thinking that 50 years ago this guy was a total badass. He still is, just fighting a different enemy.

We (screeners and runners) working that entrance are in what amounts to a giant terrarium (two-story glass entrance with an overhang.) This is a huge facility, the people I work with I had never met before. Thankfully (for the most part) they are fun to work with. When it's slow you can hear the elevator making a loud beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Both stairwells have had alarms go off (one was saying, "EXIT NOW.") There have been wild temperature swings (67-79) and we all heard an ice cream truck that wasn't there.

All three checklists (patients, employees, vendors/contractors) start with the same 5 questions. For question #5 I use my TV commercial voice when I ask, "Diarrhea?" Most smile, some laugh.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Off today, work from home tomorrow, back on my new gig as a screener Sunday (thru Thursday 1130-2000). I go in early (0900-ish) and doing my work which mostly involves spreadsheets and trend analysis. As I suspected I can't do my job in 2.5 hours a day. That's good, I'd be a real slacker if I actually could.

For the last 12+ years I've been at the Indianapolis VA Med Center Pharmacy (Management Analyst AKA Statistician with people skills.) Working at the entrance where the vast majority of employees and patients are entering has been quite eye-opening.

Limited entrances, everyone gets screened. No visitors, period. I only referred to one daughter as the patient's wife so I'm doing good. We take wheelchair patients to their appointments after getting their spouses/children/siblings/friends phone number so the clinic can contact them for pick-up. One patient I wheeled to an appointment really stuck with me. 10th Special Forces Group hat with 1966-1969 embroidered on the side. I remember thinking that 50 years ago this guy was a total badass. He still is, just fighting a different enemy.

We (screeners and runners) working that entrance are in what amounts to a giant terrarium (two-story glass entrance with an overhang.) This is a huge facility, the people I work with I had never met before. Thankfully (for the most part) they are fun to work with. When it's slow you can hear the elevator making a loud beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Both stairwells have had alarms go off (one was saying, "EXIT NOW.") There have been wild temperature swings (67-79) and we all heard an ice cream truck that wasn't there.

All three checklists (patients, employees, vendors/contractors) start with the same 5 questions. For question #5 I use my TV commercial voice when I ask, "Diarrhea?" Most smile, some laugh.

Wow.....I actually read #5 in your voice…..:lmfao:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Don't know if anyone has posted this anywhere or not.

From my favorite show of all time.

[video=youtube_share;L5CNHDeF2xA]https://youtu.be/L5CNHDeF2xA[/video]

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Work on the street is a local, doctor owned clinic, not affiliated with any larger health conglomerate, just cut pay for all management employees by 20% and hourly employees by 10%.

Their business has been basically reduced to tele-medicine.

Better than many industries that are shut down completely.

Just crazy that during a healthcare crisis, we can have so many healthcare workers with nothing to do.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    it's not OK to not have criteria on when to re-open. it needs to be discussed now and honestly implemented in areas with little to no virus activity.

This is absolutely fair, but the no-virus activity thing needs to be staged in tranches. To your point about herd immunity, the places that don't have much virus activity now either will have it or will need to have it. Let's just be sure we have the capacity to deal with it.

Regarding the criteria for re-opening, I have seen some chatter about it, but there needs to be CDC/Fauci direction on this. Or at least insight. Something. Even if it is just, "We won't really divert resources to this until there is a relatively static absolute number of deaths per day or our contact tracing shows that the majority of infected people have been diagnosed."

That will not only be practical, but actually offer some hope. We can watch those stats and all understand together the timeline.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is absolutely fair, but the no-virus activity thing needs to be staged in tranches. To your point about herd immunity, the places that don't have much virus activity now either will have it or will need to have it. Let's just be sure we have the capacity to deal with it.

Regarding the criteria for re-opening, I have seen some chatter about it, but there needs to be CDC/Fauci direction on this. Or at least insight. Something. Even if it is just, "We won't really divert resources to this until there is a relatively static absolute number of deaths per day or our contact tracing shows that the majority of infected people have been diagnosed."

That will not only be practical, but actually offer some hope. We can watch those stats and all understand together the timeline.

Maybe we need to get some economists or business type folks in that conversation. The Fauci’s and Birks have their mission and it seems to me to have little to do with what happens when they save everyone they possibly can.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nice. Do essential businesses that choose to shut down also qualify? Lol, I know how the government likes to apply little loopholes to keep from paying out. We make stuff for the government/ military and are “essential”, but we shut down the last 2 weeks, all of our outside services shut down so we can’t get anything heat treated/black oxide/anodized/etc. We can only used approved companies and they’re closed so it forces us to shut down in a way.

My concern is what businesses have lost in two weeks, but what they'll loose in two years. What's the long term look like?

We're still filling orders and will for months, but if the construction industry slows dramatically, then we'll be hit in 4-8 months from now.

The Indicator from Planet Money's been all over this, and one economist said that instead of a one time deal, Congress should have set up threshold and automatic future measures to be ready if things continued to be bad.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Work on the street is a local, doctor owned clinic, not affiliated with any larger health conglomerate, just cut pay for all management employees by 20% and hourly employees by 10%.

Their business has been basically reduced to tele-medicine.

Better than many industries that are shut down completely.

Just crazy that during a healthcare crisis, we can have so many healthcare workers with nothing to do.

My company announced the same thing today. Salaried employees will get a 20% pay cut and move to a 4 day work week (yeah right) and hourly workers will get 10% less.

Executive team is taking a 25% cut and CEO 50%.

This is in effect through June and could go into Q3. After that ... Well let's hope we don't get there.

I consider myself very fortunate to have a job during this time and a decent emergency fund in place. I can weather the storm for the next few months. I really feel for anyone who is out of work due to this.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    My concern is what businesses have lost in two weeks, but what they'll loose in two years. What's the long term look like?

We're still filling orders and will for months, but if the construction industry slows dramatically, then we'll be hit in 4-8 months from now.

Not to even mention things like automobile manufacturing in the USA. They where already shutting down from a lack of parts well before the stay at home orders started.

So even if we said ok everyone back to work,it would not go as planned.Parts are still needed,and they are not showing up even as claims of China being ok get spread around(they locked a province back down day before yesterday).
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ockdown-after-coronavirus-cases-idUSKBN21J64X
    I think the very idea of a V recovery when we have yet to even feel the full effects of the global supply system shattering is optimistic to say the least.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My company announced the same thing today. Salaried employees will get a 20% pay cut and move to a 4 day work week (yeah right) and hourly workers will get 10% less.

Executive team is taking a 25% cut and CEO 50%.

This is in effect through June and could go into Q3. After that ... Well let's hope we don't get there.

I consider myself very fortunate to have a job during this time and a decent emergency fund in place. I can weather the storm for the next few months. I really feel for anyone who is out of work due to this.

I got word that at least one airline was offering crew 80% and full benefits if they take a six month furlough; it's 85% if you retire early.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Maybe we need to get some economists or business type folks in that conversation. The Fauci’s and Birks have their mission and it seems to me to have little to do with what happens when they save everyone they possibly can.

There are some really brilliant people in the Congressional Budget Office. I'm getting the sense that a recovery anything close to pre-covid normality is years away. We are in a hole and still digging. I'm not sure anyone can tell us where the bottom is.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I got word that at least one airline was offering crew 80% and full benefits if they take a six month furlough; it's 85% if you retire early.

Ford was offering 80% pay for voluntary layoffs at the end of January and offering early retirements for those with less than 3 years to retirement.

I hope the Australian prime minister is wrong. In his speech today he said to expect the stay at home orders to stay into effect until October.
    They have already announced their borders will be closed until then.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...s-500-as-more-stimulus-planned-latest-updates

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom